Best fly fishing locations

Know 3 guys that have fished the white. All 3 said "never again".

I'll offer up my 2¢...
For beauty and quality trout, New Zealand would be hard to beat.

In Montana, you can fish a spring creek, a freestone and a tailwater back to back to back. Good hatches, good numbers of quality fish.

Pacific NW if you're into swingy dingy chrome dome action.

The keys offers a variety of saltwater angling.

Big brookies would have to be Labrador hands down.

What's disturbing is that nobody has mentioned Penns... yet
Thanks for spot burning Penns

Every time somebody comes back from a big destination fishing trip and posts photos my first thoughts are usually “damn, I’ve caught better fish than that in NE and central PA”

There’s lots of places with big trout and beautiful water, if you’re burned out on local offerings then by all means check them out- but for my money I’d rather take 10 trips to bald eagle state forest or the Catskills this year than 1 week to Patagonia for the actual fishing (I’d go to Patagonia for climbing though!)

There are probably more than 100 brown trout over 24" swimming around in PA as I type this
I personally have little doubt that what you have written is true. I suspect that one particular system could potentially top that figure at times.

I personally have little doubt that what you have written is true. I suspect that one particular system could potentially top that figure at times.
There are several

There are several
I was being conservative based on personal knowledge and wasn’t including lakes or their tribs, but if others know of more that possibly or probably crest 100, that’s even better and a better reflection on Pa as well.

But, but...

In PA brown trout are invasive and the result of previous stockings... 🙄

I guess that means if I'm a purist I'm stuck with this if I don't want to travel:

Giant Trout.jpg

😉

I was being conservative based on personal knowledge and wasn’t including lakes or their tribs, but if others know of more that possibly or probably crest 100, that’s even better and a better reflection on Pa as well.

Guys, this is a fly fishing locations thread. Stay on task and please identify these locations.

Smth River Wilderness float trip with Montana Angler. Big browns, rainbows, and if you are lucky like we were, a salmon fly hatch. It's a float/fish, camp overnight for 4 days thru the Montana mountains. Well worth it.
On my bucket list. My wife has family in Montana that put in for the lottery drawings every year. Hoping to get lucky and get in with them if they get a spot.

There are probably over 1000 browns in PA 24 plus inches, i can think of 5 systems easy!!!
I was being conservative, I suppose in an order of magnitude estimation (1,10, 100, 1000, 10,000, 100,000) etc I would say the range would be in the mid 4 figure level but I have no idea.

From what I have seen, some systems have lots of small trout, some have lots of trout and some larger trout than others, and some systems have low density but larger size. This makes for an interesting setup to try to guess, as the low density systems have less overall fish but might contribute more to the 24+ tally.

In any case, I will go back to catching my 14" fish and have fun doing that 🙂

I have fished the White, and agree with the above assessments, although I was fishing only at night with mouse flies. I have also fished in Iceland, and that place is both filled with large trout, salmon, and char (including snail eating ones!) as well as good people - not to mention stunning landscapes. Also, a non-stop flight for us SWPA yinzers.

Kamchata has some interesting looking fishing. Get Vlad's approval first.
That place has been on my bucket list since I was a kid!! Maybe many years from now, and Alaska is pretty similar geographically. High density of variety, migratory fish, inland fish, and even still water if you hunt.

Oh and catching Taimen in Mongolia....Thanks Jeremy Wade

It all depends on what you're looking for.
The 2 best places I've fished are the Catskills and Idaho. The different fishing styles play a major role for me.
What I like about the Catskills is the ability to catch large wild fish on dry flies. I haven't been anywhere else where you can catch consistent 16" - 20" wild fish on dries like the Catskills.
I just came back from fishing northeast Idaho (Henry's fork, Warm and Teton Rivers). The difference is the scenery and style of fishing. We did hit some BWO hatches and caught fish on them, but the large majority of fish caught were smaller. We had to switch to deep nymphing with bobbers and large nymphs to entice the big fish.
IMO it really depends on what you're looking for in an all around experience.

The 2 best places I've fished are the Catskills and Idaho. The different fishing styles play a major role for me.
What I like about the Catskills is the ability to catch large wild fish on dry flies. I haven't been anywhere else where you can catch consistent 16" - 20" wild fish on dries like the Catskills.
I haven't fished in Idaho, so I can't comment, but I do love Yellowstone for fishing. If you are willing to hike a mile or two, it's pretty much all yours(you don't even really have to go more than 1/2 mile), there are several types of fish you can catch, and there are large fish there. Yellowstone fishing country is also pretty tame hiking.

The Catskills for the same reason as brianh mentioned. You can catch 16-20" wild trout regulalry on dry flies.

Every time somebody comes back from a big destination fishing trip and posts photos my first thoughts are usually “damn, I’ve caught better fish than that in NE and central PA”

No matter where you fish you still have to know what the heck your doing. That, and many people go
on "destination" trips and just end up getting on tourist circuit and never really put themselves in a situation to really have spectacular fishing. The fishing will be better than what they are used to but...

My personal experiences in Montana have lived up to expectations. True, actual 18" trout are extremely common and on multiple occasions I've caught more 20" or better fish in one day than I have in a year or multiple years here in PA. I fish some well known places, but I fish a lot of places I never hear anyone else mention online and see few other anglers on any given day. Sure you can catch great fish here in PA and put up good numbers depending on what you are looking for. however, if my life depended on catching a fish over 20" or landing over 50 fish in a day, I take Montana in a heartbeat. I'm sure many other destinations would fit the bill as well.

Back