Paniced and bought a 4wt. Mistake?

Sadly, I only have reels for 1-3wts, 5-6wts, and 7-9wts. Looks like I need a new one...
Thinking Konic.

wsender wrote:
think the lighter weight line offers better tippet protection when you have 60+ feet of line out.

Unlikely. More than likely the stretch factor is the same whether you've got a 5wt or a 4wt, and I doubt the slightly increased PVC coating makes a difference.

The thinner and thus flexier rod blank, on the other hand, is the advantage here.

I use a 4wt for 90% of my trout fishing...I think it's the perfect wt for Pa fishing, in all size waters

RE the winston comment, I just mean that Winston's take on a medium action rod is slower than this. Weren't winston's known for making a slower dry fly rod? I feel like that's not a weird comment. I know they make fast stuff now though--everybody does I guess. That's why I panicked and wanted to get the A3 before the stock is gone. The A4 is another fast rod.

If You Look Arround Long Enough You Will Find A Weather Report You Are Very Very Very Happy With !!!!!

I need to get a 4wt. I kind of skipped that size. Got a 3, then I jump right to 5 and 6. 5 is my usual go to.

gfen wrote:
wsender wrote:
think the lighter weight line offers better tippet protection when you have 60+ feet of line out.

Unlikely. More than likely the stretch factor is the same whether you've got a 5wt or a 4wt, and I doubt the slightly increased PVC coating makes a difference.

The thinner and thus flexier rod blank, on the other hand, is the advantage here.

I digress. The stretch factor is minimal b/w a 4 and 5 weight, I agree. But most pop-offs don't happen at hook set but at some point later. The additional force applied to the terminal connection via increased surface area exposed to flow adds substantial force to the terminal connection. This increase of force from a larger line is probably more responsible for pop-offs than we think.

I'm sad, I worked the integral out if you'd care to see.

Wildfish wrote:
RE the winston comment, I just mean that Winston's take on a medium action rod is slower than this. Weren't winston's known for making a slower dry fly rod? I feel like that's not a weird comment. I know they make fast stuff now though--everybody does I guess. That's why I panicked and wanted to get the A3 before the stock is gone. The A4 is another fast rod.

I was just busting on ya. I'm a big Winston fanboi.

wsender wrote:

No, your sorcery is not needed. I know what I know and I know it.

wsender wrote:
gfen wrote:
wsender wrote:

I digress. The stretch factor is minimal b/w a 4 and 5 weight, I agree. But most pop-offs don't happen at hook set but at some point later. The additional force applied to the terminal connection via increased surface area exposed to flow adds substantial force to the terminal connection. This increase of force from a larger line is probably more responsible for pop-offs than we think.

I recall Gary Borger saying essentially what you did. He told a story about using a 2wt for bonefish, and said he had less breakoffs with a 2wt. He basically pointed the rod at the fish, and let the reel do the work. There was less drag on the thinner line...

It takes a real set of stones to even think about using a 2wt for bonefish. :lol:

jdaddy--Forgot about your winston affliction. Every one I've casted (except the really fast stuff) I have loved. Just can't afford a green stick. And if I could, I would probably go with a Scott G2. I think it may be all Scott rods for me from here out. As long as they keep making every blank in the US at least.

I just regrettably sent my Winston LT5 8'3 4wt to my cousin in Alaska as a surprise gift. It certainly will make him happy as it did me. By far my favorite rod I have ever fished with for trout. However, I still have my LT5 8'9 3wt which is not as good for the spring creeks I fish. Looks like I might be in the market again for another LT5 4wt ;(-

Have any of you guys fished with an LT5 8'3 4wt? If so, how does it compare to any other 4wt's that you've fished with and what do you think is the best?

I have Winston BMX something something 9'6" 5 weight.. I am in love.

About the 4 weight from the original post. Fish it and loose the worries that let you make excuses. I would have bought a 4 weight in the Winston but I like to play with small mouth. Enjoy that rod a stay off this site for awhile. Fall is awesome fishing weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fall is usually awesome fishing--my favorite. But it won't stop raining over here.

midgeman wrote:
Have any of you guys fished with an LT5 8'3 4wt? If so, how does it compare to any other 4wt's that you've fished with and what do you think is the best?

No but my understanding is that it is very similar to the TMF WT. The WT is a slower series than the LT5 (barely) with the single exception of the 8' 4wt TMF WT which is a step faster than the rest of the WT line up and very much on par with the LT5. Have you thrown the WT TMF?

No I haven't thrown the WT WMF at all. Honestly, I haven't been to a Winston dealer in over a year. I kinda kringe now at the thought of spending $700 for a rod now. I just ordered a 8'6 4wt z-axis for $270 without throwing it; probably a mistake. However, I've fished a z-axis 5 wt and really liked it. Sierra trading post might have a few left for those that are interested.

Back