PAFlyfish Jamboree 2007 Now Hear This!

Festus

Festus

Looks like June 1,2,3 has to be the date for the Jam because of reservation issues for May. So June it is. I have the upper pavilion nailed down to. For those wanting to rent a camper, best to call Sylvia and get the rental reservation made. 814-435-6764. It's still ski season up here, and Sylvia works during the winter at the slopes, so you'll probably get an answering machine. Leave a message explaining what you are calling about and she will return your call.

Let's nail down the particulars in this thread. :)

Kenshire Kampsite
Phone: 814-435-6764

[color=CC0000]Accomodations and details. Iffin ya don't see what yer lookin fer, ask.

4- 20amp Trailer Sites near the upper Pavillion $20/nt (2) people
5- 30amp Trailer Sites Across the road form Pav. $20/nt (2) people
Extra people $3/nt.

Tenting is primitave in the field around the Pavillion but there is water and electric.

(2) per tent = $17/nt.
(1) per tent = $10/nt.

There is a camp store with candy, snacks and some camping supplies, not much though.

There is also a gameroom with a pool table and video games.

Horseshoe pits near the pavillion.

Sylvia said you can wait til the month of May to reserve but I would do it as soon as you are sure. If room is still available, last minute sites are reservable upon arrival. But as she said, she'd like to know what kind of crowd we plan to muster so she can prepare.
[/color]

Slate Run Tackle Hatch Chart

Those who would like to attend for all or part of this event can make reservations at the Campground listed above. Touch the link for a view of thier website. The core dates will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday June 1,2,3. Some folks typically come earlier and stay later. Others just show up for the Friday and Saturday Campfires held after the fishing is done for the day.

We normally have a central meeting place in the mornings with a HUGE pot of coffee. Paul G usually takes care of this. That won't change. It appears we will be "circling the wagons" around a pavillion per Festus's request.

Last year we toyed with the idea of having a gear swap on Friday or Saturday night. I'd like to see this again. You can bring an item or items you don't use or would like to swap for another item on the table. Ideas of items may be; A box of flies, Rods, rod tubes, nets, vests, chest boxes, etc. Bring some barter to get your desired item. Maybe a bottle of scotch, or case of beer?

We Bring our own food, just like normal camping and sometimes share or have group "feeds". I'll be bringing my wifes home made salsa. I sure hope Paul brings the deer bologna.

We gather for coffee, fish til we're hungry, eat at the campground (and sometimes at the streams) and fish again until dark. Then the fun starts. :-D

I hope anyone who can make it takes advantage of this opportunity to put a face with the names you see on the board. Every Jam for the past 7 have been friendly, learning experiences for 'out of the area" fly fishers and enjoyable for the home crowd. We've held casting clinics and talk flyfishing. Once we tried to talk Politics but Paul sent us to bed...at 4:00am.

Ask questions here and mark your calanders for June 1,2,3. It should prove to be an AWESOME weekend.

You can PM either Festus or Maurice if you would rather keep your requests and questions private.

Maurice

Just you varmints remember....THE MULE'S ALL MINE. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I can answer anyones questions about motels or other services, feel free to ask.

Any suggestions on gear?

I'm probably going to bring all my rods, 3#, 4#, 5#. I don't know that I'll use them all, but it can't hurt to have some extras.

I'm particularly curious about suggested flies... I'll probably have a few tying marathons soon and I need to know what I'll need.

Jay, I clipped this from the Slate Run Hatch Chart. I also linked to the full chart page in the above info post.

Late May
Dark Spotted Caddis - Slate Run, Cedar Run
Sulphur - Slate Run, Cedar Run
Dun Caddis - Pine Creek
Brown Drake - Pine, Slate, Cedar
Green Drake - Pine, Slate, Cedar

Early June
Pale Evening Dun - Pine, Slate, Cedar
Light Cahill - Pine, Slate, Cedar
Blue Wing Olive - Pine, Slate, Cedar

I included the late May assortment because they may be present as well. (I hope)

Festus,

How highly do you recommend reservations for tent campers. Might it be a problem if we just showed up? I'm coming, just not sure what days...

Tom,

I have a call in to the campground, waiting for a reply. I will post the answer to that and more questions I have regarding the Jamboree.

I am under the impression we are going to be ganging around the pavillion and sort of in a Group camping situatuion...in which case I think we will be able to accommodate last minute reservations.

But as I said, I will ask to be sure.

Maurice

Maurice has the hatches about covered. The only thing I would add is possibly some Little Yellow Stoneflies and some Yellow Adams. Last year was strange....everything hatched early in May, then we had a dead period the end of May, then come June all hell broke loose with a little bit of eveything that should have been over the 3rd week of May. If I think of anything special, I'll let you all know.

I'm thinking the pavilion will be the center of activity. It's just a short walk to the showers and restrooms. There's water there, electricity and plenty of tables. There's a fireplace as well. Generally most groups wagon up around the pavillion with their tents and campers.

Looks like I maybe coming to the Jam after all. With the offer from Maurice to drive me and to cater to my ever whim, it would be hard to turn down. Besides how could I turn down a chance to fish with Chaz again!

I'll be glad to take care of the morning coffee again as usual!

Festus

Any Grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations in the area? Down in the Slate Run area their a little hard to find!

Paul

Hey all, do i need a reservation to pitch a tent, i was planning to just put up my tent close to the pavillion. any info would be great thanks guys.

PaulG wrote:
Looks like I maybe coming to the Jam after all. With the offer from Maurice to drive me and to cater to my ever whim, it would be hard to turn down. Besides how could I turn down a chance to fish with Chaz again!

I'll be glad to take care of the morning coffee again as usual!

Festus

Any Grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations in the area? Down in the Slate Run area their a little hard to find!

Paul

Yeah! Deer Bologna!!!!!

Tweek, Maurice is checking on that for us.

I'd venture to say that you won't need a reservation to pitch a tent near the pavillion. Plenty of room. I have no idea what the nightly rate is on tenters though. Whatever it is, it'll be reasonable.

As for gear, I manage nicely with my 7'6" Orvis(I hate to admit that) :p 4 wt and my 9ft Loomis 5wt all year long. Don't reckon anybody'd need much more than that.

Grocery stores 5 miles away in Galeton but the prices are high. I'd recommend bringing as much food with you as you can. There's also a Weis on Rt 6 east of Wellsboro and a BiLo in Wellsboro. Both have fair prices. Trust me though....with the race going on that weekend, Wellsboro is the last place you'll want to be. :-(

Several restaurants in the area to the east and west. Small sport shop and gas station up the street plus SandFly's shop out in Ansonia. I'd recommend gassing up in Libery on Rt 15 for cheaper gas though.

We will get some directions posted up later on. Somebody with good directions from the SW might wanna chime in.

Tweek & Tom

This is what Sylvia told me tonight....

You can wait til the month of May to reserve but I would do it as soon as you are sure. Reserve a night or so and you can add to it if necessary. If room is still available, last minute sites are reservable upon arrival. But as she said, she'd like to know what kind of crowd we plan to muster so she can prepare.

Here are the particulars...also listed in the main post.

Accomodations and details. Iffin ya don't see what yer lookin fer, ask.

4- 20amp Trailer Sites near the upper Pavillion $20/nt (2) people
5- 30amp Trailer Sites Across the road form Pav. $20/nt (2) people
Extra people $3/nt.

Tenting is primitave in the field around the Pavillion but there is water and electric.

(2) per tent = $17/nt.
(1) per tent = $10/nt.

There is a camp store with candy, snacks and some camping supplies, not much though.

There is also a gameroom with a pool table and video games.

Horseshoe pits near the pavillion.

Sounds like a fun place and Sylvia is a treat to talk to. I also got her to cough up Festus's namesake. :lol:

Funny thing happened, My wife heard me on the phone and said, "are you renting a camper?" I said "yes, Me and Pudie Paul." "She said, when you take us camping we have to sleep in a tent!"...I may have to step up my accomodations on the nest family camping adventure now Paul. She is jealous of you now, more than ever. :-D

Maurice

You make your wife sleep in a tent? She's got it made. I make mine sleep in the car when we go camping. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maurice

I'll have to smooth her over, with all my charm(it won't be hard) on our next trip to Muddy or the Gunpowder or as soon as I get down your way!

Festus

Great job, thanks for all the info!

DIRECTIONS FROM SOUTHWESTERN PA

There are more ways to get there from the southwest than you can shake a gas hose at. Look for it to take from 4.5-6 hours depending on where you start out and which route you take.

Here are the possibilities to investigate:

22-99-350-53-144-6

28-80-219-6

22-119-219-6

Ok, now you did it Jack...I'm the guy that everyone hates because his way is always better than
the one you chose. And I usually get there first leaving them puzzled.

So here are my suggestions for directions from SWPA...If the day is gorgeous...

From Westmoreland county...

22E to 981N thru saltsburg to Indiana...( I learned this way when 119 was all torn up at 22..really
doesn't matter much now... 22 to 119 is just as fast with the new lanes...except 22 past new alexandria
is under construction so its still a good choice) then 119 N (go slow thru sykesville or they will get you)
to 219 to Dubois...then 255N to 555N (thru elk country) to driftwood...from there you go 120E (which parallels
the sinnemahoning and susquehana)

at which point you can drive up the whole length of the first fork (that would
be 872N From the town of Sinnemahoning to east fork rd to west branch road to RT6)
Great way to find a place to fish on the way home...

If you are more partial to kettle creek...stay on 120E until you see the Kettle Creek state park sign
(alvin r bush dam) turn left and follow kettle creek rd all the way up to 144 thru Cross Fork and that
will take you to RT6 east to Gaines.

At night or bad weather...stay on 120E from Driftwood to Renovo and get 144 up to RT6
(this is probably fastest)

From Pittsburgh...

28n to Brookeville...(seafood buffet at the diner on friday nightsYum!!!)
80E to the 2nd dubois exit (rt255N Treasure lake/Narrows creek/Sabula)...
RT 255N to 555N to 120E to 144N to rt6E...
I used to go this way to camp from work on the north side
and could get to Sinnemahoning in 2.5 hours.

It takes me exactly 3 hours to get to camp at East Keating on 120...Gaines is supposed to
be 53 miles or a little over an hour further. I'm predicting 4.5 hours from Greensburg.
Its a great drive...

If you are going North on I-99 Jacks direction are a good way to go...99-350-53-144-6

What about from Philly?

I'll be heading up on a friday afternoon... so traffic could be an issue.

Anyone have any tips, or would google maps do the trick well enough?

476-93-80-15 or do you take the bypass (180) around williamsport and then to 287 to wellsboro?

How'd I do eastern guys...its not how i'd have gone from reading where I grew up but on a fri afternoon...

On second thought, I'd prolly bag classes and work the morning... From there I'll go back to reading to get my gear.

Traffic won't be an issue then so I'll just take the standard way... whatever that may be.

mind you, I'd be starting in Temple..but I'd just take 61 (stop at Cabela's if you like) to 42 to 80 and then on from there.

Can you tell I haven't much to do today?

Back