PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

Tomorrow is the big day . So far who is a deffinite ?
Afish
FishIdiot
MO
Fredrick
JF
DaveS
SurfCowgirl :p

Fredrick wrote:
Tomorrow is the big day . So far who is a deffinite ?
Afish
FishIdiot
MO
Fredrick
JF
DaveS
SurfCowgirl :p

Fred,

Don't insult Surf too much. He's one of the most knowledgeable and skilled SW surf fly-fishing guys I know (not to mention FW FFing). You would learn a lot by hanging with him.

I'll be joined by dc410. River is currently holding right about .40.

That, and I'm a big redneck.

So we have

Afish
FishIdiot
MO
Fredrick
JF
DaveS
Cowgirl UP
dc410

Count me in as well. I'm coming up Saturday morning (we're still meeting at 10AM right?) I'm bringing my one-man pontoon to float, I don't think I'll be camping though but we'll see.

I'm in for the float, but having a bit of uncertainty if I can make it fri evening to camp, that's become a ??? Stil working on it.

The River is near normal for the date and is now rising slightly, probably because of some storms upriver. Floating should be okay with some dragging, and wading should be no problem at all.

The weather forecast is for a high near 90* with mostly sunny skies and a chance of T-storms.

The meet up time is 10am at the Park & Ride off RT 81 & the PA TPK.

Untitled in a larger map]Map for Park & Ride[/url]

We will wait up until 10:15. I suggest you print out the Google map I posted that marks the put-in and take-out for directions. If you are late, you can follow that map and meet up with us.

NB Susky - Falls in a larger map]Map of Launch and Take-out points[/url]

For those staying Friday nite, I would expect the caravan to arrive at the Apple Tree launch at around 10:45. There we will park some vehicles and drive the rest up to the launch at Falls.

It should be fun. I'm looking forward to it.

As some of you know, I'm coming over to the dark side (well not totally) but cannot make it this year. Hopefully I'll be able to join you if you do this again next year. Good fishing and safe travel to all of those attending.

Can't make it unfortunately...take pics and I hope you guys have a good float.

Its probably worth mentioning that if anybody wants to float with me, I have room of another angler on my 'toon.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys tomorrow. My main goals for tomorrow are to: meet some new folks, see some new water, and learn as much as I can about WW fishing. Hopefully, during that process we can smash a few smallies. Thanks Dave for the invite. See you in the morning at Pittston!

Despite the poor fishing I had a great time it was nice to meet some new board members and unfortunate to meet some I have already meet before :p

ed012344.jpg

a8d07067.jpg

cd7d5c1d.jpg

afishinado wrote:
:lol:

I think I might be the guy on the far left

Yeah, it was defintely great to meet everyone, even if the fishing was relatively non-existent. Thanks again, Dave, for the beer and the lift back to my truck. We felt for the rest of the gang who fought that upstream wind all day.

I'm going to start scouting some sections of the Delaware for smallies. Maybe we can do this again somewhere and/or time when the fish might be a bit more cooperative. That's twice in a month that the North Branch has been stingy to me and Afish.

I know the D pretty well. Maybe a SMB trip up there is in order. I never give up.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
Yeah, it was defintely great to meet everyone, even if the fishing was relatively non-existent. Thanks again, Dave, for the beer and the lift back to my truck. We felt for the rest of the gang who fought that upstream wind all day.

I'm going to start scouting some sections of the Delaware for smallies. Maybe we can do this again somewhere and/or time when the fish might be a bit more cooperative. That's twice in a month that the North Branch has been stingy to me and Afish.

I'm in even if there is a bad wind again

Yup - great time was had.

Seeing Fred's pics - dang, I'm still smoked from that marathon storm paddle yesterday. :)

I hit the water pretty hard again this morning early. Tried everything: high and low, big and small, bright and dark, fast and slow. Zippo.
I'll gather my thoughts (and pics) and post a full report shortly.

I went into this weekend thinking the float would be short and there would be alot of dragging through riffles. Boy was I wrong. We went from thinking the float would be 1.5 hours to having the first 1/4 mile take an hour.

As soon as we got on the river the wind pick ed up and it didn't quit til we got off the river 6 hours later. We could have walked there quicker. There was a headwind all day. Paddling was brutal trying to keep the canoe straight. All along the five mile float we stopped and pounded the riffles, pools and rock gardens. I even used spin gear to search for fish. No luck.

About five miles into the trip the wind got really nasty with a big storm blowing in. 1.5' white caps blowing up river. Trying to keep the bow into the waves was hard to do even though I got upfront in the canoe with my twelve year old daughter womaning the stern. We worked hard all day just to get to the take out.

The funny thing was when we would pull over to fish the wind would die down and as soon as we would push off again it would be more intense than the last leg.

I learned yesterday that the Indian name for the NB of the Susquehanna is "Wind blows up river with no fish."

I think we could have paddled north quicker.

Dave S and SurfCowboy get the "wise choice" award by making the astute assessment 1.5 hours in to stay and fish near the campground.

DC410 led the tourney with a 4" rock bass until we learned that Dave S edged him out with a Chub modestly larger.

Hey this was 9 guys who know how to fish pounding a five mile stretch of river.

You can't make this stuff up.

Back