PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

That is a bummer. As of today, there is a chance I could make the day trip.

I've never fished the susky; but FI introduced me to the big J recently, and I really liked the river. I would be down to check out either location.

Driving distance to either spot looks about the same for me tho, so I'll keep am eye out here for what you guys decide.

Maurice wrote:
Prognosis Negative.

- She said the float from Falls to Appletree is a 1.5- 2hour float. I suppose with the fishing we could drag it out a few hours. But she couldn't figure out why we would float such a short stretch.
- She also said that the river is extremely low, kayaks are dragging through riffles, canoes worse. Lots of getting out and push/pulling. The fishing is confined to a one big pool near Appletree road take out. Thats the only pool in the stretch.
The fishing on the river is poor right now, her regular campers are going to local lakes to catch fish.
So I am not so pumped anymore.....maybe a shorter distance from York, I am on the fence. Still wanna go camp and float somewhere. Maybe the Juniata float we did last year?

Well darn - but yes, the fishing reports up that way have been slow.
With respect to the float distance - it's about 5 miles, which is about the same distance as the Juniata float we did in 2010....and that took most of the afternoon considering all the time we spent fishing. Also, I can attest from fishing the Apple Tree section in the past with Afishinado - yes there's a nice pool at the ramp but the shallows downstream are loaded with bass. As for the low water - yep, will have to drag boats a bit but it's perfect for waders.
Whether the fish will bite - who knows?
I'm still pumped. :)

Are you going to have WWI shirts made up for everyone Dave ?

Maurice wrote:
Prognosis Negative.

I just called the campground and spoke to a nice woman. asked alot of questions. Here is what I learned.
- Susquehanna Shores Campground (linked above on first page). has no primitive sites. $25/nt for two people, water and electric for all. They keep a few sites for canoe and kayakers. Should have several should anyone want to reserve.

- She said the float from Falls to Appletree is a 1.5- 2hour float. I suppose with the fishing we could drag it out a few hours. But she couldn't figure out why we would float such a short stretch.

- She also said that the river is extremely low, kayaks are dragging through riffles, canoes worse. Lots of getting out and push/pulling. The fishing is confined to a one big pool near Appletree road take out. Thats the only pool in the stretch.

- Dogs allowed in campground but no "dobermans, rotweilers, pitbulls, etc" I think Bennie will be OK. Hehe.

- The fishing on the river is poor right now, her regular campers are going to local lakes to catch fish.

So I am not so pumped anymore.....maybe a shorter distance from York, I am on the fence. Still wanna go camp and float somewhere. Maybe the Juniata float we did last year?

Sorry for the downer post, just thought some may like to know.

No predicting flow levels months ahead of time. Mamby pamby yakers and floaters are lazy....WE ARE FFERS (and tough ones, at that :-x). As I said posted way back when, the float is short, 6 miles +/-. Short for a sight-seer, but the idea is to beach and fish the riffs, runs and pools. There is plenty of water to wade and fish all the way down through.

The level right now is perfect for wading. A canoe would be tough if the level the River does not change, but not too bad with a yak. I fished the stretch a week ago to check it out, and didn't do well at all - that's feeshing! There were people floating the river in yaks. Never know how fishing will be in next week.

If I were staying overnight, I would put in at the Tunkhannock launch and float to the campsite for an all day float.

Here's a pic of Mo at the last WW Jam:

Attachments

• Mo at WW Jam.jpg
    Mo at WW Jam.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 4
Here is a pic of Mo from last years float

river-kayak-134-freeway.jpg

Uncle whimpy, why I oughtta.....

hey ya knuckleheads, I am just trying to provide folks with info to make decisions. Now get next to each other so I can clunk your heads together.

I would gladly pay you thursday for a fishburger today.

Not sure yet if I'm camping but I'm 99.9% sure I'm definitely coming to float, basically barring disaster or emergency I'm there. A 5-6 mile float is the perfect length to get quality fishing time in. Like I said I've never fished anywhere on the Susky so I'm really excited and looking forward to this now. I hope the fishing is decent but I'm just happy to get on this river for the first time. I imagine with all the t-storms and downpours the river has had an uptick in level. Whether it will last until next weekend is another story.

RyanR wrote:
Not sure yet if I'm camping but I'm 99.9% sure I'm definitely coming to float, basically barring disaster or emergency I'm there. A 5-6 mile float is the perfect length to get quality fishing time in. Like I said I've never fished anywhere on the Susky so I'm really excited and looking forward to this now. I hope the fishing is decent but I'm just happy to get on this river for the first time. I imagine with all the t-storms and downpours the river has had an uptick in level. Whether it will last until next weekend is another story.

There ya go....real men still found on the site!

The River doesn't really know which way to go the last week or so. With T-storms predicted most of the coming week, it's hard to predict the level and the fishies. A little dragging never hurt anyone.

Attachments

• USGS.01536500.01.00060..20120722.20120729.log.0.p50.JPG
    USGS.01536500.01.00060..20120722.20120729.log.0.p50.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 3
Here's a trip down memory lane: the 2010 WW Jam

The fishing wasn't good but the float was great. Hopefully next week we'll have better fishing (there's a great Skybayjared video about page 11).

I'm gonna drive up to the Campground Friday night. Camp, Float, Camp, Float as needed/if time permits Sunday. Drag if necessary. Heck I can still drink beer with one hand and drag the toon with the other!

There is a possibility I might make it in the afternoon, after a funeral. Even if I do not make it in time to fish, I might just come up to Bullschnit at night.

Maurice wrote:
The fishing on the river is poor right now, her regular campers are going to local lakes to catch fish.
So I am not so pumped anymore.....maybe a shorter distance from York, I am on the fence.

Yeah, I'm going to cancel also! The hot, shallow water and long drive is not worth the trouble to do the float. I'll see you guys at Steelhead time?

Deep lakes are a little cooler with this Global Warming. Bluegills, perch, and crappie are a awful lot of fun with a 3wt! Maybe more fun than carp?

PS- I have the same Stetson hat, Mo!! Last year, Cabelas on Sale? My friends call me the "Amish Cowboy"

Well I think I am still....supposed to get rain all week. Sam wants to go, trying to get off Friday from work to get there early Friday.

DaveS, are you staying at the Susky Sholes CG?

Mo,
If that's the one linked to the thread, then yea. I'll get there prob. 8-ish Friday night. I'll have the white Dodge PU with the 2-man toon. And a case of cold beer. Look for me, we'll have a few together!

I'll be camping Sat night.

I'll be heading up tomorrow late afternoon and camp both fri and sat. I'm pretty sure Mo is getting there fri too. I've been moving the canoe around, now my back is hurting....sipping a bourbon, that usually helps........until I run out of bourbon.

Back