Pa wild trout streams map and tabular data comparison to some western waters

M

Mike

http://www.fishandboat.com/Zone1/Documents/straightTalkDocs/2017-0304ma-straight.pdf

Good article. Love the table...

Yeah it's surprising...

Just want to make sure I'm not having a brain fart on this...

In PA, we typically measure biomass density in kg/ha. Some of the metrics used are adults/mile, which is a number of fish density, not biomass. Comparing Spring Creek (PA, Centre County), to say the Bighorn River yields similar adults/mile, but since Spring Creek is a narrower creek, Spring Creek potentially has a much higher adults/ha. MT may have bigger trout, to they could still have a higher biomass (kg/ha). But we aren't doing too bad, right?

Factual error in the article... PA does NOT have the second most stream miles behind Alaska. That myth keeps getting perpetuated; I've seen it published in TU work and state government work, cited on here and elsewhere. But we are not #2.

Comparing fish per mile in spring creek to the missouri river in montana- ?
wee bit wider- spring wins big time density wise.
also the Missouri has many lakes-in the fall fish per mile would double so grain of salt time.true of other comparisons.

beat me to it Salmonoid---slow finger here.

salmonoid wrote:
Factual error in the article... PA does NOT have the second most stream miles behind Alaska. That myth keeps getting perpetuated; I've seen it published in TU work and state government work, cited on here and elsewhere. But we are not #2.

What state is second, and where does PA fall in the ranking?

troutbert wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

What state is second, and where does PA fall in the ranking?

PA has the highest stream "density" of all States. Alaska has the most stream miles. PA is ranked 16th in stream miles according to this article:

http://klabergroup.com/insights/?Considering-Water-A-state-by-state-analysis-of-our-relationship-with-waterways-2

Good read.

let's take it for what it is: which is an attempt to reach out to us and give us some more input.

I look forward to this summit and supporting the PFBC as much as possible.

If you check the "streams being considered list" on the PFBC web site, you will see that there is a fair amount of blue and red remaining to be added to the map in the future with, I am certain, more to come as surveys continue in 2017. Additionally, we have been and will be circling back to some streams that have not been surveyed for perhaps decades in cases where we think that there is a possibility that wild trout populations or Class A biomass equivalents may now extend farther downstream than the present downstream limits of the wild trout stream designations indicate.

Back