PA Fishing License Display Rule Being Changed

I haven't been stopped in 20 years. Always worried that the darn thing would fall off the time I do get checked. I am very happy to hear the news about the change. I can print off a couple of copies to leave in my vests and good to go. I did get my 2020 button two weeks ago and will be sporting that on my hat.

I support the change. I liked the change when the Game Commission did it as I no longer had to remember to move my license from one piece of clothing to another during archery season when weather and temps are different from one day to the next or even within the same day. Just stash the license in a pack that I always have with me and that was that.

I quit displaying my fishing license last spring after I lost two licenses in two days. I never bothered to buy another holder. Just printed out a new license and stuck it in the waterproof phone case in my fishing pack. Many times I'm far from the road, in places so unlikely to have a WCO watching them that keeping the license safe rather than displayed just makes sense. I'm glad it is now totally legal to do so.

Good. Now I won't be breaking the law like I have been for many years.

147.50 is the fine for not having your Eire and Trout stamp. My fishing buddy learned this recently.

It's quite interesting that a relatively mundane topic about displaying , or not displaying, your license can get over 4400 reads and 63 comments. I may have mentioned this before but I've not displayed my license in fifteen years. Not saying it's right though. The few times a CO has stopped to chat I was only asked once to show it to him. I must look honest.

tomgamber wrote:
So is this in effect yet? NOw?

I believe so.
I checked it on the fish commission web site.
And saw nothing about the change NOT going in to effect until next year

dryflyguy wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

I believe so.

When a reg is passed by the Commission, it officially becomes law when it is published in the PA Bulletin, which should happen shortly.

https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/

Fishing since the late 1970's i've never been asked to see my license. The only place i would put it otherwise, would be my wallet where I put other state licenses. Something I always carry when I leave the house. If it's in my wallet and I am asked to see it. I need to take off my vest and lower my waders. Hey look! I'm a stripper! Since I have been buying licenses online. I print off 3 and store them in luggage, wader bag and one at home.

afishinado wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

I believe so.

When a reg is passed by the Commission, it officially becomes law when it is published in the PA Bulletin, which should happen shortly.

Thanks, I was aware of the process. That was the question. Was it published. Should have been more specific since I got two different answers.

tomgamber wrote:
afishinado wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

I believe so.

Thanks, I was aware of the process. That was the question. Was it published. Should have been more specific since I got two different answers.

The change of regulation was just voted on and passed by the Commissioners last week. I generally takes a while for it to be published. I suggest you check the Bulletin linked above or call the PFBC to confirm.

Since the display requirement regulation does not appear in the 2020 Summary of regulation and the regulation was passed by the Commissioners, I would guess it would be safe not to display your license. But asking for an opinion from the PFBC wouldn't hurt.

yeah,that's kind of a weird gray area for beginning enforcement or stopping enforcement. thanks

Bought my 2020 license a few weeks ago.
And it still says " this side must be displayed on an outer garment"

gray area indeed

I fished on Sunday for the first time with no license on the outside of my pack.

Since being able to get them online, and print as many copies as you want, I've always carried a back-up copy in my pack. Just in case the external one fell off without me knowing, and I got stopped that day. But I always kept the "official" copy pinned to my pack.

With the change now passed, and in the press, I find it hard to believe a WCO would enforce it not being on an outer garment in the meantime until it gets published. It sounds like for the most part it wasn't being enforced to the letter of the previous regulation anyway...As long as you had some form/proof of it on your person.

As a follow up, I believe you are still required to keep other proof of identification (Driver's License) on you while fishing, correct?

My wife scoffs at me when I remind her of this as she doesn't like to carry the weight of her wallet in her pack. I usually respond with, so you were going to leave your wallet in the car? She's in turn adopted the strategy of leaving her wallet at home, and just carrying her Driver's License on her...On top of the weight savings, this has the bonus benefit of me having to buy the gas, and dinner on the way home if it's a later outing. Smart woman. :p

That's a smart woman Swattie. Funny!!!

+1

Mine is, too. I love the challenge of a moving target. ;)

tomgamber wrote:
yeah,that's kind of a weird gray area for beginning enforcement or stopping enforcement. thanks

Just FYI.

I received an email in the form of a newsletter from the PFBC (below) announcing the rescinding of the display requirement for fishing licenses. I would say it's now okay not to display your license.

PFBC Board of Commissioners Approves Removal of Fishing License Display Requirement

Fishing licenseThe PFBC Board of Commissioners recently approved the removal of a long-standing regulation that requires anglers to display their fishing license on an outer garment while fishing. Under the amendment to Section 63.2 (PA Title 58), the outer garment display requirement will be replaced with a general possession requirement, which would require only that an angler carry the license on their person while fishing and present the license to a PFBC law enforcement officer upon request.

Under the amended regulation, anglers who still wish to display their fishing license on an outer garment may continue to do so.

Additionally, customers are reminded that when they purchase a fishing license online through The Outdoor Shop (pa.wildlifelicense.com), an electronic version of their fishing license is issued and may be saved and reprinted at no cost in the event of loss.

Back