PA Fish Commission trout fishing survey results >

Assuming sales taxes go to the state’s General Fund,I wouldn’t have a problem with the General Fund potentially forking over the amount that is equivalent to the sales tax collected by Pa on any fishing and boating related products. Similarly, I also would appreciate motor fuel taxes paid by boaters on their fuel purchases for their boats being forked over to the PFBC. If there would be unusual circumstances in which general or fuel related state funds would be provided for specific projects, such as for restoration of some of PFBC’s hazardous dams, I’d say these and a number of other other big ticket items that would potentially strain PFBC fishing license (fish fund) or boat registration (boat fund) funds would be appropriate candidates for pay-back of what I’d guess would be a small portion of anglers’ and boaters’ sales and fuel tax dollars collected over the years.
Any additional tax revenue such as that should go to DCNR or DEP because PFBC is running a failing state business and not listening to business consultants(penn state smeal college of bussiness). Purely from a fiscal standpoint giving someone being so financially irresponsible MORE money is a bad investment.

Not accurate numbers but from a PFBC perspective:
we sell 100,000 trout stamps
we only have 1,000 optional wild trout permits sold.
Why wouldn't PFBC think they are serving the public by emphasizing a stocking program?
Sometimes putting your $ where your mouth is speaks louder

I prefer to recognize the new attention to wild trout fisheries by PFBC. It may not be where I'd like it to be but I sense a real shift. The organization that really needs to be sat on is DEP. I feel they are usually the ones holding up CWF, HQCWF designations that give essential protections to waters.
I understand that people are happy with the wild invasive brown trout regulations(slot on penns, c and r downstream of stocked trout waters(made for brown trout), and the only catch and release rules for a trout species (brown trout) in the state in the stocked class A’s. This makes some fishermen happy but from a resource management/conservation standpoint protecting invasive species still does nothing for brook trout, hellbenders, threatened/endangered darter species which we know or highly suspect their destroying right now. What their doing amounts to a D day on biological diversity. There is no way around the fact that 10’s of millions are being spent annually in this state to wipe out what we have left. DEP may take a while to protect a stream but their not spending millions wiping out the stream, its the opposite usually their funding 319 grants. I agree DEP could be better but you need to look at the PA house and senate who have crippled it on purpose to make it ineffective for industry’s benefit not DEP. They are so understaffed its nuts.

Any additional tax revenue such as that should go to DCNR or DEP because PFBC is running a failing state business and not listening to business consultants(penn state smeal college of bussiness). Purely from a fiscal standpoint giving someone being so financially irresponsible MORE money is a bad investment.
I vaguely remember that study. Could you remind us why it was determined to be a failing business. I thought, but could be wrong, a major reason was that it was unable to charge for licenses needed to meet expenses. On top of that, costs for public pensions (although I doubt they would address this- its a business school but still at the university) makes it a bad business model. Note: not coming after the men and women of PFBC, just stating the obvious that govt agencies in most states have this albatross around their necks. Businesses (and universities) have moved towards contributions to savings plans for a reason.

I vaguely remember that study. Could you remind us why it was determined to be a failing business. I thought, but could be wrong, a major reason was that it was unable to charge for licenses needed to meet expenses. On top of that, costs for public pensions (although I doubt they would address this- its a business school but still at the university) makes it a bad business model. Note: not coming after the men and women of PFBC, just stating the obvious that govt agencies in most states have this albatross around their necks. Businesses (and universities) have moved towards contributions to savings plans for a reason.
Basically they (PSU school of business) determined that they had already cut costs to the point where there was nothing left to cut (except for closing hatcheries), and revenue is expected to continue to decline while expenses (salaries, pensions, fuel, utilities, fish food, etc.) will all continue to rise.

Their suggestions were to focus on RRR (Recruitment, Retention, and Reactivation) to try to get revenue up. If I recall correctly, they also suggested improving the hatcheries to make them more efficient (which is where a lot of growing greener money went).

It's a terrible situation because a large part of their mission is conservation, but they have to run the agency like a business, and the business succeeds or fails based on the # of licenses sold. So their solution to selling fishing licenses is to make trout, but that endeavor is going to reach a point where it's no longer profitable. It's really not profitable now. They had to use grant money to fix the hatcheries up. If they were forced to use fish fund money for that, the whole thing would've went belly up.

It's going to continue to get worse and worse.

each coming generation is going to lose more and more species in this human caused mass extinction crisis. This is not Fish Stick’s mass extinction crisis. This is based on the International Union for Conservation of Nature, world wildlife fund, center for biological diversity and so many more. The United Nations are having biodiversity crisis summits for Christ’s sake. A recent paper just came out that said that the list of threatened species did not capture a HUGE number of species because of populations collapses and declines happening so fast its hard to survey.

I am sorry but PA Fish and Boat has a responsibility to our aquatic ecosystems and their health, not just trout anglers who for the most part, if we are being honest, don’t give two wet F*cks about the fish environment if its not a large catchable brown or rainbow trout.

They can’t be allowed to use our license dollars to speed up the extinctions and extirpations. Mikes argument that they should get MORE money when they are actively destroying our waterways is asinine and unconscionable.

I would love to read about what is written about “fisheries management” in the late 20th and early 21st century in Pennsylvania 50 years from now.

Yea let me dig up executive summary here

The decreased ability to “change the agency due to external stakeholders” may refer to the house and senate fish and game committees just wanting to keep stocking going for political reasons. Although I do not think that PFBC wants to stop stocking the house and senate fish and game committees care even less about the aquatic ecosystems obviously if thats possible.

THIS contains the ENTIRE Executive Summary in the gray tone box, which is two pages, not one. No, pursuing sales tax dollars paid by anglers for their equipment in order to address major infrastructure problems, not day to day functions, is not unconscionable; in fact pursuing those sales tax dollars is a recommendation on the Executive Summary’s second page!

Last edited:
THIS contains the ENTIRE Executive Summary in the gray tone box and no, pursuing sales tax dollars paid by anglers for their equipment in order to address major infrastructure problems, not day to day functions, is not unconscionable; in fact pursuing those sales tax dollars is a recommendation on the Executive Summary’s second page!
I just think it's cheating. :) If you're self funded, you're self funded. Make it work.

The only problem here is that for some reason reducing trout production isn't an option. Everything else seems to be.

Why should bass anglers paying tax on a baitcaster prop up the trout factory program? Why should some boat owner who takes his kids water skiing at Raystown pay for trout factories? It's just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Last edited:
The decreased ability to “change the agency due to external stakeholders” may refer to the house and senate fish and game committees just wanting to keep stocking going for political reasons. Although I do not think that PFBC wants to stop stocking the house and senate fish and game committees care even less about the aquatic ecosystems obviously if thats possible.
It's because the legislature used to have control over the license cost process. That isn't so now. So they'll keep raising license fee costs to try to make up for the revenue shortfall, but it's a double edged sword. Every time they bump the license cost they lose buyers.

Why should bass anglers paying tax on a baitcaster prop up the trout factory program? Why should some boat owner who takes his kids water skiing at Raystown pay for trout factories? It's just robbing Peter to pay Paul.
They are not required to buy a trout stamp. Much of the non-trout stamp license money supports bass fishing as well.

Why should some boat owner who takes his kids water skiing at Raystown pay for trout factories?
That would be a mix of apples and oranges. There is separate Fish Fund and Boat Fund. I had always been told that monies do not cross between the two.

You are not the one who mentioned this, but if there are complaints about the PFBC using Growing Greener or other grants to upgrade, for example, hatchery effluent treatment systems, then the complaint should not be with the grantee; it should be with the grantor, specifically the criteria used to approve and disapprove grant applications.

They are not required to buy a trout stamp. Much of the non-trout stamp license money supports bass fishing as well.
Agree. And support warmwater/coolwater stocking programs for other species as well along with a host of other activities that have nothing to do with stocked trout.

That would be a mix of apples and oranges. There is separate Fish Fund and Boat Fund. I had always been told that monies do not cross between the two.

You are not the one who mentioned this, but if there are complaints about the PFBC using Growing Greener or other grants to upgrade, for example, hatchery effluent treatment systems, then the complaint should not be with the grantee; it should be with the grantor, specifically the criteria used to approve and disapprove grant applications.
The boat user scenario is a bad example then. The bass angler is more appropriate. I think it applies to trout anglers who don't want the stocked trout too. It's bad enough my trout permit mainly pays for trout factories and even more so that the tax on my fly reels does too.

Fair enough on the grant use, but that's all water under the bridge at this point. No clawing it back, and I doubt they're going to go after it again, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to send a letter. Not that 1 or 2 people saying something does any good.

Mike was talking about tax on sporting goods going to pay for infrastructure (hatchery) upgrades. Not about the trout stamp. Just sales tax (dingle johnson act).

Mike was talking about tax on sporting goods going to pay for infrastructure (hatchery) upgrades. Not about the trout stamp. Just sales tax (dingle johnson act).
Not a critique, Silverfox, just a clarification. In this specific case I was talking about recommendation to continue working toward getting some of the state sales tax monies collected in the purchase of fishing and boating equipment, not the D.J. fed excise tax monies already built into the price of fishing equipment. The PFBC already receives the DJ monies.

Last edited:
THIS contains the ENTIRE Executive Summary in the gray tone box, which is two pages, not one. No, pursuing sales tax dollars paid by anglers for their equipment in order to address major infrastructure problems, not day to day functions, is not unconscionable; in fact pursuing those sales tax dollars is a recommendation on the Executive Summary’s second page!
thank you Mike. Its what I had a vague memory of. Any idea for the disproportionate jump in retiree benefits around 2015 which led to the divergence of the revenue/expense curve? A large number of people retiring? A change in benefit structure?

Not a critique, Silverfox, just a clarification. In this specific case I was talking about the state sales tax monies collected in the purchase of fishing and boating equipment, not the D.J. fed excise tax monies already built into the price of fishing equipment.
Got it. My mistake.

I cannot find full survey results. Anyone got a link?

Articles like this are upsetting. Several times in the article it mentioned two groups but never provided data details on the two groups. How many “wild trout anglers”? How many “stocked trout anglers”? Without that info “27% of wild trout anglers…” is meaningless. Anything written about wild trout anglers is equally meaningless. What if there are 4 respondents in stocked trout anglers and 3000 in wild trout anglers groups?

An article discussing a survey but no link to the survey is provided.

Back