Over- or Under-weight line?

That's a cool story!!

I met Press Powell and chatted with him a few times. He was a nice guy too.
I met him at a show in San Mateo, CA in 80's. I ended up buying a rod from him. In keeping with this topic, he advised that I could under or over line it if required. That was the first I'd even considered the concept.

I've posted this article by Lefty Kreh (linked below) a few times on here.

Basically it he says "Match line weight to conditions" and gives many examples of why, how and when to vary line weights on your rod. It's a great article that makes sense and I know it works very well since I do this all the time.

Don't forget, line weight is a sliding scale. Thus 30' of 4wt line weighs the same as 26' of 5 weight line. So stripping in 4' or so of line changes the weight of the line of line you are casting. The rod really doesn't know the difference since it's casting the same amount of weight. Don't be married to just one line for your rod. Experiment with different lines and use this all to your advantage based on where and how you are fishing.

From the article:

Let me begin by saying that rod manufacturers design rods for the average person to use under average conditions. So unfortunately, most fly fishermen use only one weight of line on their favorite rod.

Written on the rod blank or handle is a code number which indicates the line that the rod manufacturer suggests is best for most customers; i.e., 6 line. To most fly anglers, this means that they should use nothing but a 6 weight line with this rod. But to get the full potential from different fishing situations, you may want to consider using several line sizes on your rod — perhaps varying as much as two line sizes from the one suggested on the rod.

Manufacturers know your rod may be used in a host of fishing situations, but they can’t judge your casting style and fishing skills. So when they place a recommended line number on your rod, it is implied that it’s for average fishing conditions. First, understand that you’re not going to damage a fly rod using fly line a little lighter or heavier than is recommended. Certainly, at times, the rod will fish better if different line sizes are used.

Match line weight to conditions

Last edited:
Back