Orvis black out Euro

I agree with that sentiment stated above. My problem in particular with my H3F 10'6" was that it didn't feel I could really dig it to it to get it to spit a bit of line out. I know that is not the function of a nymph rod to get some line going but my Hardy can do it. The H3F 10'6" just feels "dead" to me. I think the issue here is Orvis is trying to use a material that is more so suited for a rod designed to cast far and have an astonishingly good recovery rate. I just don't think the material used in the H3 is ideal for a nymphing rod so I think they should alter the material/taper design to make it more suitable for nymphing applications or disband the notion of making a nymph specific rod all together with that material.

I own 5 H3's and currently employ 3 of them. This lineup of rods has been a roller coaster of love/hate relationships. Really the only model I thought was stellar was the 4wt 8'6", but I've owned a G. Loomis Asquith 4wt 9ft that I thought was smoother and just yesterday I handled a Winston Air 2 4wt 8'6" that I PERCEIVE to be better but I'd have to conduct lawn casting and fishing the rod to determine if I think it is better.

Looks like the synopsis is that people aren't a fan of this rod. I agree with them but ultimately it is the decision of the OP to decide if he wants to buy or not buy the rod. I think the blackout edition is a neat rod and would probably work pretty well and do everything the OP could demand of it, it just appears that there are better options out there.
I was going to say something similar. The H3 blackout in the 9'-5/5wt is an insane rod for casting distance. It's shockingly good at throwing a whole lot of line. One of the best I've owned/fished. I use it for indicator nymphing on the big water, and the added few inches over my standard 9'-5wt makes it better for that purpose too.

All around the H3's are incredible rods. Not sure where the comments about the quality are coming from. They're top-notch. I'm sure the tight lining configurations are just as good. I'd personally prefer a stiffer rod out to the tip for that purpose, and I think the H3's fit the bill there too. If the OP wants to get a H3, I say go for it. You won't be happy unless you get what you want.

Back