Orvis black out Euro

I think euronymphing is a legitimate style. I use a lot of the tactics myself (people have for years before the new craze started).

But man has it gotten shoved down the flyfishing communities throats in a marketing blitzkrieg that just won't end. And from a business standpoint I get it. But yeah, a 1000 rod to high stick weighted nymphs? Come on.....
We were high sticking sucker spawn on 9' 5-weight rods 50 years ago LOL

It is just nymph fishing! These "fads" always catch more fishermen than fish!

Syndicate yes, Moonshine no.
I don't own either brand, I'm still using my beginner's Orvis Encounter outfit and an old used Sage. But I'm curious, why Yes to Syndicate and No to Moonshine?

I have both and have found that the Syndicate can throw dry flies fairly well. The Moonshine not so much. Other than that, you can't go wrong with either. Not sure what issues Silent Ocelot has with the Moonshine. Both are well made and back the warranty!

Not necessarily a fad when it produces the results that it does, which are quantifiably the highest in terms of fish catching methods across the board of fly fishing fly techniques. I am not a tight-line fanatic as I am not able to fish that way with confidence and I don't like how close range it is, but I respect its place in the fly fisherman's tool box. Competition fly fishers fish this way so I think that attests to its effectiveness. I will say it is a boring way to fish and not as interesting as dry fly and streamer fishing.

We all have our ways of fishing and each method is justifiable.

I don't own either brand, I'm still using my beginner's Orvis Encounter outfit and an old used Sage. But I'm curious, why Yes to Syndicate and No to Moonshine?
Not quality rods. They're kind of gimmicky and heavy for the rod model in question. I must say most of my reasoning against the brand is that they appear too "trade-hard" for me. Rods in the $200-$350 price point are typically my most hated category because they are the "wannabe sticks" touting qualities similar to that of more prestigious brands and falling short when comparisons are done. With the plethora of great second hand sticks floating about and other companies producing better rods at the Moonshine price point, it's an easy brand to knock off of the check list of new possibilities of rods to buy. Also a YouTuber of the highly satirical channel "Hugh Fly Fisherman" says Moonshine rods are dumb. Take that for what you will. The main takeaway from here is that I have no desire to really explore the brand, so my feelings on the company are more so "meh" than truly disliking the brand.

Not quality rods. They're kind of gimmicky and heavy for the rod model in question. I must say most of my reasoning against the brand is that they appear too "trade-hard" for me. Rods in the $200-$350 price point are typically my most hated category because they are the "wannabe sticks" touting qualities similar to that of more prestigious brands and falling short when comparisons are done. With the plethora of great second hand sticks floating about and other companies producing better rods at the Moonshine price point, it's an easy brand to knock off of the check list of new possibilities of rods to buy. Also a YouTuber of the highly satirical channel "Hugh Fly Fisherman" says Moonshine rods are dumb. Take that for what you will. The main takeaway from here is that I have no desire to really explore the brand, so my feelings on the company are more so "meh" than truly disliking the brand.
Just so I understand this correctly, it sounds like you are saying you have never fished them and are basing your recommendation to avoid said rod companies based off your intuition and a YouTube channel named huge flyfisherman. Is my summary correct?

I too high sticked back in the day with 9' 5wts and caught fish. However, I used to get British and German fly mags in the early 90's and was intrigued by the Czech nymph craze over there after the Eastern European countries were crushing it in international fly competitions and have been messing with longer rods for a long time. Refined tackle and techniques do help a lot. Occasionally I use my 9' 5wt for nymphing when hoping for dry fly action and it doesn't happen. When I do the rod I used to high stick well with feels like an insensitive club compared to the specialized Euronymph tackle I use now. The refined nymph techniques are more effective and fun IMHO.

Just so I understand this correctly, it sounds like you are saying you have never fished them and are basing your recommendation to avoid said rod companies based off your intuition and a YouTube channel named huge flyfisherman. Is my summary correct?
My intuition is pretty darn good, care to test it?

. Add in the absolutely infuriating and mind boggling lack of a hook keeper and you’ve got yourself a real turd.
Try this. Just a paperclip and a couple wraps of duct tape

Attachments

• IMG-0834.jpg
    IMG-0834.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 10
I agree that folks should buy what they want. I was really just replying to krayfishs post, not so much to the OP. Probably not the place.
Couldn't make further post due to injuries suffered from being chucked under the bus.

Try this. Just a paperclip and a couple wraps of duct tape

Sure, and they make dedicated add on hook keepers as well (I put one on my GF’s H3). But if you’re accustomed to having one, and Orvis pulls an Apple and decides to just eliminate them entirely and tell you why you don’t need one, then that’s off putting. My T&T has one, and it also has wraps that don’t look like they were done by a 3 year old.

Seems like in general people are against the orvis blackout. I that mainly because they haven't used one or that they have and didn't like it?
I disliked the Orvis H3 in all of its Euro configurations due to one reason, way too stiff. Some people like this but, I believe a rod that has an extremely fast recovering rate and stiff backbone (as the H3 does) makes for a rod that's a better at casting distance with a fly line more so than a good contact nymphing stick.

I enjoy a rod with a more... full flexing feeling to it due to the way I nymph. I build extremely long leaders and fish at quite a far distance. The full flex aids with the loading of a nymphing setup more so than the really stiff rods out there IMO.

I agree with that sentiment stated above. My problem in particular with my H3F 10'6" was that it didn't feel I could really dig it to it to get it to spit a bit of line out. I know that is not the function of a nymph rod to get some line going but my Hardy can do it. The H3F 10'6" just feels "dead" to me. I think the issue here is Orvis is trying to use a material that is more so suited for a rod designed to cast far and have an astonishingly good recovery rate. I just don't think the material used in the H3 is ideal for a nymphing rod so I think they should alter the material/taper design to make it more suitable for nymphing applications or disband the notion of making a nymph specific rod all together with that material.

I own 5 H3's and currently employ 3 of them. This lineup of rods has been a roller coaster of love/hate relationships. Really the only model I thought was stellar was the 4wt 8'6", but I've owned a G. Loomis Asquith 4wt 9ft that I thought was smoother and just yesterday I handled a Winston Air 2 4wt 8'6" that I PERCEIVE to be better but I'd have to conduct lawn casting and fishing the rod to determine if I think it is better.

Looks like the synopsis is that people aren't a fan of this rod. I agree with them but ultimately it is the decision of the OP to decide if he wants to buy or not buy the rod. I think the blackout edition is a neat rod and would probably work pretty well and do everything the OP could demand of it, it just appears that there are better options out there.

Probably too late here but the new Diamondback Ideal Nymph rod in a 10'10" 2 weight will easily compete with the Blackout (or any other high end Euro rod in the longer lengths) at a fraction of the price. Important note Devin Olsen has said the the 10'10" 2 weight is the best model in the DB Ideal nymph series. Good review here:

Back