Opening Day Advise: Haystack, Roaring Branch, or Rock Run?

BrookieLeprechaun

BrookieLeprechaun

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. Found it searching for trout magic.

So here's my question: I had planned to head to Lycoming County, fish for Brookies in the State Forest west of Elimsport. I grew up fishing there. There's a few stretches that you can still fish all day and not see a soul.

But I think I'd like to explore. I've read here, and heard elsewhere, some good things about Roaring Branch, Rock Run, and the Haystacks. I have fished many of the known creeks of Pennsylvania, quite a few hidden waters, but I have not fished these three. At some point this year I'll wander all three. But this question is for opening weekend.
I'd certainly don't mind seeing a few other folks, but I really don't like the opening day hustle we all find on some creeks.

Would some of you mind offering your thoughts as to which of these three you might visit on opening day?

Stocked streams are very crowded on opening day.

The Rock Run at Ralston is a stocked stream. It's best to fish that after the early season madness dies down.

Roaring Branch used to be stocked. I'm not sure if it still is.

The Haystacks isn't a stream. It's a scenic gorge section of Loyalsock Creek with big boulders. I went there last year and didn't catch a fish. The PFBC does not stock that section.

But it was worth the hike because it's a very beautiful place. It's also a very popular place to hike to. If it's a nice weekend, expect to see a lot people. If the flows are high, wading is dicey there. The Loyalsock is a big creek.

I always liked Little Pine & Lycoming Creek. But opening day is gonna be a zoo on any stocked stream. I always schedule my fishin' trips to PA no earlier than the 2nd week of May.

The opening 3 weeks reminds me why I stay home on New Years Eve. I don't go out drinkin' with amateurs...

Someone has been reading maxima's posts to come up with these 3 locations lol

In all seriousness fishing for stocked trout opening day on rock run or nearby on lycoming creek would be your most productive. The haystacks section of the loyalsock does not get directly stocked. Water temps will likely still be on the cold side to fully experience the potential of Roaring Branch and other small to medium sized wild trout streams.

It is what it is. I don't really worry about the fishing as much as the event. Going to camp. First chance to fix up stuff for summer. Poker, eating, drinking, getting out of dodge. I'm leaving on a cruise on the 3rd so not even an option this year.

You may want to consider Gray's Run which is just off Rt 14 very close to Rock Run and Roaring Branch.

All of that info can be easily found looking at maps. There is a good trout streams map on fish and boats website. There are sections of Grays Run on public and private. I believe some of the public stretch is ffo.

Grays Run is a small mountain stream managed as a FFO wild trout stream, with great public access and good hatches. Traveling North on 14 from the village of Trout Run watch for very small sign and turn left onto Grays Run Lower Road, ( if you miss it watch for and turn onto Upper Grays Run Road they end up same place). After a few houses turn right after you cross a small concrete bridge. Following the dirt road you have about 2 miles of public access of stream off to your right after a very short walk threw the woods. Private ground is well marked but will not be a problem.
You never know about opening day, but there should be enough water to fish if you want to get away from people. I hope this helps, I have always enjoyed myself there. There's beautiful scenery and plenty of wildlife.

Grays Run is a small mountain stream managed as a FFO wild trout stream, with great public access and good hatches. Traveling North on 14 from the village of Trout Run watch for very small sign and turn left onto Grays Run Lower Road, ( if you miss it watch for and turn onto Upper Grays Run Road they end up same place). After a few houses turn right after you cross a small concrete bridge. Following the dirt road you have about 2 miles of public access of stream off to your right after a very short walk threw the woods. Private ground is well marked but will not be a problem.
You never know about opening day, but there should be enough water to fish if you want to get away from people. I hope this helps, I have always enjoyed myself there. There's beautiful scenery and plenty of wildlife.

Just for clarity’s sake, Grays is C&R ALO, not FFO. You gave me a brief spot of indigestion and made me double check the regs, as I fished it with spinning tackle (artificials only) last year.

Otherwise, the rest of what’s been mentioned about it is true. FWIW that area (NE Lycoming County/NW Sullivan County) had locally exceptionally bad low flows in the Summer of 2020. I don’t know for sure about Grays, but I know for certain portions of nearby Pleasant Stream sank and went completely dry in late Summer/early Fall 2020. I haven’t fished Pleasant Stream since then, but I have fished Grays and it fished like junk. Much worse than before that low flow spell in 2020. It’s a good stream with good geology, so I’m sure it will rebound, but it may temporarily be on a down cycle. Adjust expectations accordingly if going there.

Last edited:
Back