On The Board - 2020

Swattie87 wrote:
On cold days, I actually sometimes prefer this, especially with small fish, as it avoids me getting my hands wet.

Same here, to point that I actively encourage it by grabbing the leader a few inches in front of the fish, half hoisting it, and seeing if it can't wiggle itself loose before I have to touch it. Better result for the fish, and less time wasted for me.

Worked for me on New Year's day a couple of times, but I still had to unhook a couple.

Why don't you fellas just not touch the fish? I very rarely touch a trout ever. I want to treat them as gently as possible and get them back asap. I bet them, use my fingers or hemos to pop the hook loose, and then let them free from the net without ever laying a hand on them. Only if it is deep hook or something (which barely happens) should I touch the fish. It also stays in the water (or mostly in the water) for the entire time it gets unhooked.

jifigz wrote:
Why don't you fellas just not touch the fish?

I fish small streams mostly, and most of the time don't carry a net...Gets caught on too much stuff. Sometimes a fish will settle enough that you can grab the fly with hemo's without touching the fish, even without a net, but many times they don't.

On bigger water, when carrying a net, I essentially do the same as you though.

jifigz wrote:
Why don't you fellas just not touch the fish? I very rarely touch a trout ever. I want to treat them as gently as possible and get them back asap. I bet them, use my fingers or hemos to pop the hook loose, and then let them free from the net without ever laying a hand on them. Only if it is deep hook or something (which barely happens) should I touch the fish. It also stays in the water (or mostly in the water) for the entire time it gets unhooked.

I rarely carry a net in small streams. But the same as above, I grab the tippet and follow it down to the fish while it's still in the water. I either grab the fly with my hand or hemos and the fish usually shakes itself off since I use barbless hooks. If not, I'll back out the hook with the trout still in the water and watch it swim away. So, most times the fish stays in the water and I don't really even have to touch it to release it.

jifigz wrote:
. I bet them, use my fingers or hemos to pop the hook loose, and then let them free from the net without ever laying a hand on them.

Netting them still removes slime; I'd rather remove the hook before netting it. I will net larger fish, however, just to reduce the amount of "fight" time. No need on smaller fish.

I always wet my hands before handling them. It removes less fish oils. And when my hand is to cold to function properly inside the jack it goes for a while. Usually the non-casting hand. Most of the time once it's cold it's break time or time to go home depending on how much fun I'm having.

Nets are certainly a pain in small streams. Since returning to a vest and having it hand from my back it is much better.. When I used a sling pack the net was always in the way.

Got out today for the first time in 2020.

8n2rWTd.jpg

Good start to 2020. Nice Rainbow. GG

34" on the board

Attachments

• M7.JPG
    M7.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 2
5” on the board! :-D

Nice fish D!!

Attachments

• F52AFE6A-61A9-46F6-847F-8EDFB4D0BD88.jpeg
    F52AFE6A-61A9-46F6-847F-8EDFB4D0BD88.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 3
Five inches still counts.

How is it possible to have such a pristine looking Medalist?

redietz wrote:
How is it possible to have such a pristine looking Medalist?

I was lucky enough to scoop it up, along with a spare spool on Classic Fly Rod Forum a year or two ago.

It pairs very nicely with my bamboo Orvis Battenkill 7 1/2’ 5 wt

Off this week, so I have been fortunate enough to get out on 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, and 1/6. Taking a drive to fish with a buddy in State College on Thursday too. More deets on my blog, but some pics below.

20200106_135651.jpg

20200104_133410.jpg

20200103_142924.jpg

20200102_143212.jpg

Got the chance to go to Eire this past Sunday and it was a blast. The whole crew hooked up multiple times and it was a blast. Streams were empty of fishermen and full of big fish. Parking lots were empty for the most part. 16 mile and Elk treated us all really well.

Attachments

• 2020 eire.jpg
    2020 eire.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 4

Nice trout Vaughn well done.

Hopback and I got out yesterday and explored some new, really fun water. Nice to be on the board for 2020.

ScreenShot20200112at.png

Gopod fish Bruno. Did Albatross net that one for you?
GG

First of the year, taken on Spring.

Attachments

• 2020.jpg
    2020.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3
Back