On The Board - 2020

Swattie87

Swattie87

It's become our New Years Day tradition to go fishing. Wasn't lights out today, as it usually isn't in the cold, but we landed a few, and had a nice day in the woods. The stream we picked (first time fishing it) has some promise, but it was too high, too steep, and too cold to fish effectively today. My bravery with in stream navigation goes down quite a bit in cold water, and this one is not easy to get around in, so we more or less cherry picked the good, easy to get to spots. Would make a good, Summer time, low flows stream to fish though.

Attachments

• 01-01-20 (3) - PAFF.jpg
    01-01-20 (3) - PAFF.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 01-01-20 (4) - PAFF.jpg
    01-01-20 (4) - PAFF.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 01-01-20 (6) - PAFF.jpg
    01-01-20 (6) - PAFF.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 2
I was about to start the same thread but you beat me to it, Swattie.

I fished a brown trout stream today for about 2 hours and the fishing was tough. I managed one small brown but hey, it's my first fish of 2020. Here's to 12 months of fantastic fishing to come!

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_153605913.jpg
    IMG_20200101_153605913.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 3
Good stuff to start the New Year Swattiie.
Our family tradition is to hike on New Year’s Day. But I’ll be out with my Dad this Saturday.

Cheers to everyone and to a fish filled New Year!
:pint: :pint:

Nice.

Also made it out yesterday- managed 2 , 4-5 inch brooks. Do they count if they fall off the hook when pulling out of the water? If so, I’m on the board.

Nother thing- I was a violator yesterday as when I concluded fishing , I realized my license expired in 2019. Becoming legal today.

BOhLfQH.jpg

Good stuff, fellas! Inspired me to get out today.

acristickid wrote:

Do they count if they fall off the hook when pulling out of the water? If so, I’m on the board.

Good in my book...As long as I get them to, or near my feet, and can identify what they were, they count. Unless you were going to "bonk" them, the end result after that is the same...they swim away.

On cold days, I actually sometimes prefer this, especially with small fish, as it avoids me getting my hands wet. I think we actually touched and unhooked 4 or 5 yesterday, though if asked how many we "caught", the number was closer to 10.

This weekend and next look like Spring weather in da Burg. GG

I was fortunate to get on the board yesterday with a real nice brown.

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2
Wow, that's a really nice fish Vaughn. Great start to the year.

Vaughn wrote:
I was fortunate to get on the board yesterday with a real nice brown.

That's a great way to start the year. Congratulations!

I got on the board this morning with a banana to start the year.

Attachments

• Golden Rainbow.jpg
    Golden Rainbow.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 5
If you didn't get your cold hand/s on them or get your hands cold touching them...they don't count. .....most of the time you can identify the species by the way they fight.

Also, if your license isn't current they don't legally count either :hammer:

Anyways.....I felt that since it was a Holiday... I'd give them the day off. What a way for them to start off the New Year with no hook in their mouth.

Edit: What I said wasn't nice. So I deleted it.

Nice going!

I made an attempt yesterday, but struck out. Saw one large brown and two suckers all afternoon. Confirmed that I need to get better at fishing larger streams.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
This weekend and next look like Spring weather in da Burg. GG

Yes! Most definitely looking forward to getting on the board this Saturday afternoon on the Breeches.

I'm about to be on the DL after the doc reattaches my bicep tendon. Hope to be able to get out until March at the earliest. Not worried though since I don't normally start fishing until April and I will make up for it quickly. :)

I'm going Sunday, just got to find something fishable, supposed to get a lot of rain in western MD so that looks to be out. Looks like I'll either be heading north or south, living in northern Virginia is really not ideal for wild trout.

Got on the board with wild 19 incher this afternoon....

20200102_122410.jpg

I'm going Sunday, just got to find something fishable, supposed to get a lot of rain in western MD so that looks to be out. Looks like I'll either be heading north or south, living in northern Virginia is really not ideal for wild trout.

Western MD will be fine, only a half inch or so in the forecast. A little more west of the divide in Yough watershed. Guess it depends exactly where you were thinking of going.

Plenty of good brown trout water in MD within 1.5 hrs of your location - not taking about the usual suspects either. I'm in Alexandria and a wild trout nut and I'm surviving. Granted, the places I'm thinking of don't fish well this time of year. Willing to discuss via PM.

Back