Old Orvis Graphite Rod Info

O

outsider

In the early 70's I bought an Orvis 7' 1/5/8 oz. graphite fly rod. It has a spigot ferrule and a ceramic top guide. The male spigot is hollow and is not tapered. It has an all cork grip and sliding bands.

The engraving on the butt cap:

ORVIS
7' 1 5/8 oz. (5)
GRAPHITE

Apparently this is a very unusual Orvis rod, and Orvis would like me to send pictures to identify it (spent 1/2 hour on the phone today with them while they looked up early graphite rods). Also, the rod tube has a plastic cap, unlike the other rods I bought in that era, which had metal caps.

Anyone ever heard of an early Orvis graphite rod with spigot ferrule and ceramic top guide?

all cork grip and reel seat?

the hollow spigot ferrule has me confused.

I have a 1979 Far n Fine and the ferrule has a piece of wood or bamboo in the male end.

very interesting indeed. bet it casts a 4wt line sweetly!

No Tim, it does not cast a 4 weight. It is an extremely fast rod, could easily overline it with a 6 weight. And yes, the male spigot is hollow. There is no date on the butt cap or the rod tube.

The ceramic tip sounds odd.I don't think I've ever seen a fa Tory built for with a ceramic tip guide and snakes guides. I would not be surprised if it was a DIY repair attempt. Original tip got damaged or fell off, ceramic spinning/casting tip was used to repair. Just a thought.

PennKev wrote:
The ceramic tip sounds odd.I don't think I've ever seen a fa Tory built for with a ceramic tip guide and snakes guides. I would not be surprised if it was a DIY repair attempt. Original tip got damaged or fell off, ceramic spinning/casting tip was used to repair. Just a thought.

Not possible PennKev. I bought this rod new from an authorized Orvis dealer (who was a friend of mine). In fact, the rod was not in stock at the dealer, had to be ordered.

Someone on another forum did see a factory Orvis rod from that era with a ceramic tip top, but not the spigot ferrule as I described.

I can think of two possibilities.

1. Orvis did make a 7' 5wt in the 70's. It was called the 'Otter'. I have one at home and will check the marked weight of the rod. But that may not match because mine has a locking alum cork spacer reel seat.

2. At times Orvis offered a fly/spin combo rod. I think those were 7'. That might explain the ceramic tip top.

shortrod2,

It is not the Otter rod. Someone at Orvis thought it might have been named "Trout". Definitely not a fly/spin rod. The all-cork grip with sliding bands is similar to the grip/bands on my Orvis bamboo Flea rod made in the same era.

outsider wrote:
shortrod2,

It is not the Otter rod. Someone at Orvis thought it might have been named "Trout". Definitely not a fly/spin rod. The all-cork grip with sliding bands is similar to the grip/bands on my Orvis bamboo Flea rod made in the same era.

Yeah, I checked my Otter, it is from 1980 and marked as 2oz. I know they made a 7 1/2' and 8' Trout models but have never heard of a 7' Trout. I have seen Trout models with the sliding bands.

Back