Not a pretty picture for the start of the season

That's a little aggressive. Lol. How about 3 storms a week that put down .50" - 1.5" ??

Okay...and Tornados?

I do love big storms, man. That's a song, right? I like big storms and I cannot lie. Them other brothers can't deny...

There's a great DBT song called "Tornadoes" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rdUMQxCsfI

Got around upper Adams and Cumberland County a bit today. Since the recent storms the last couple days, things are looking much better in my neck of the woods. I checked several streams and creek beds that were nearly bone dry last week were flowing again. Lower Mountain Creek, in particular, was well up and even a bit stained (still too warm to fish, at 72 degrees however). Upper Breeches was also up, although not as much. I got 69 on upper Breeches.

Still gonna be awhile before I do any trout fishing around here on anything other than the limestoners, but we're finally headed in the right direction despite the oppressive heat today.

There's another belt of storms moving into western PA this evening as well, so hopefully we'll see some more relief statewide, especially in NCPA and Potter County which was (I think) under a drought warning.

the USGS at Cross Fork is looking much better than it was 3 days ago, and another line of storms are lined up to go through the area.

Dave_W wrote:
Got around upper Adams and Cumberland County a bit today. Since the recent storms the last couple days, things are looking much better in my neck of the woods. I checked several streams and creek beds that were nearly bone dry last week were flowing again. Lower Mountain Creek, in particular, was well up and even a bit stained (still too warm to fish, at 72 degrees however). Upper Breeches was also up, although not as much. I got 69 on upper Breeches.

Still gonna be awhile before I do any trout fishing around here on anything other than the limestoners, but we're finally headed in the right direction despite the oppressive heat today.

There's another belt of storms moving into western PA this evening as well, so hopefully we'll see some more relief statewide, especially in NCPA and Potter County which was (I think) under a drought warning.

Dave,

What section do you consider Lower Mountain Creek? Mountain Creek in Pine Grove Furnace SP, between the lakes was between 60-64 degrees Labor Day weekend when I took temps. I'd think Laurel Lake would have a considerable warming effect on the stream below though, as well as a week of high 80's/90's temps.

salmonoid wrote:
Dave,
What section do you consider Lower Mountain Creek?

I got that temp in the town of Mt Holly Springs.

Yes, the lake does indeed warm the stream. Usually by the time you get downstream to MHS the creek has cooled a good bit due to natural influences, but it is usually still warmer than the headwaters in PGF SP.

Incidentally, the storms in NWPA tonight seem to be careening off toward the NE into NY state and may not get as much water into center state as we would hope.

Hopefully, things will change up over the night.

cooler air out for sure , looks like 80's on Tuesday and then the heat should be gone

Invest 93L. Looks like it has a chance. Couple of the models have it going up the Appalachians. I know it's too early to tell but..... thoughts?

Well, 93L became TS Julia since I posted or I missed that update completely. Looks like it may hang around Savannah for a few days and then head off the coast. So much for getting water back in the creeks.

Who knows? We watch w/ interest. The outlook for Coudersport is "storms in the area over the next few days". Hopefully that materializes.

I went to the creek down the street looking for smallies in a deep pool and saw about 7-8 Browns and rainbows at the top of the pool. This is about a mile downstream from where they stock but so suprised that all of these fish made it. Creek was super low but COLD. I do catch wild Browns there but you really gotta spend time and be there at the right time of the seasons to get a better chance. I wouldn't expect all these hold overs in a creek like that especially with a summer like this one.

How much longer do you guys think until the bight water temps start dropping with the cooler days and colde nights?

Jessed wrote:
How much longer do you guys think until the bight water temps start dropping with the cooler days and colde nights?

I think this is already underway (although it has been hot the last couple days).

I spent some time prospecting around SCPA with my thermometer on Monday and then again on Wednesday and I have found significantly better water temps than earlier in the month. Although the local streams are bone low and would fish much better with some more water, I wouldn't hesitate to return to trout fishing now (with an occasional temp check if things stay warm).

Thanks! That's the only thing that's concerning is the water levels. Let's hope for rain

Jessed wrote:

You can buy a stream thermometer from flyfishing suppliers for about $14-$16.

If you take water temps regularly, you will quickly learn the patterns.

Yo Jes - actually if you go to Harbor Freight, you can get a metal dial thermometer (no batteries needed) for half that. They look like kitchen meat thermometers and are durable. Some of the HF units are for auto techs who check car A/C systems. Just make sure the temp range is suitable for streams.

What about a pool thermometer? I have a bunch for my pool.

Yo Jes

I looked at Ace Hardware's pool thermometer, and that should work. It is sure to be waterproof ;) Just don't leave it in the car on a hot sunny summer day - the devices that use fluids can bust as the heat exceeds the device's max.

Back