No One Screaming...

S

Sylvaneous

...about the drought? Deeply suprised. It's what the internet is best for!
So here it is:
"Its too dry! Creek are too low. Water is too warm. Fish will die. Idiots will hammer fish at feeder mouths.The fish commission doesn't care about trout. They just want to 'snap a lot of necks".
That's most of it. ...become a point of nucleation.
Syl

Not screaming; just not fishing for trout in streams. Haven't been most of the Spring. Last time I fished locally was also just after our last series of rain events.

I look at these droughts and get excited for summer night fishing. Wish it would rain but. Since I cannot change it might as well enjoy the fun parts.

wishing for rain as well. but it doesnt look good at all. im switching over to smallmouths in larger river systems and carp. my trout rods are back in their tubes.
^ Soon for me, too. Panfish for the net few weeks and smallies by the third week of June after the spawn.

I'm glad yinz' fellers are giving up the trout. I've been still hitting a variety of trout waters and all within the last week were still in the upper 50's. They definitely aren't warm and flows were surprisingly good for the lack of rain.

But I am itching for some river smallies....

^ Soon for me, too. Panfish for the net few weeks and smallies by the third week of June after the spawn.
Panfishing has been hot in our local Chester Co. lakes. Crappie seem to be tapering off but gills are picking up the slack.

I gave the Conestoga about a try this afternoon. Caught a little smallie on my first case. Hooked a couple of other small ones that got off. Lots of people fishing, swimming and kayaking. Water was shockingly low and clear. Gave up after an hour.

I wet waded the Susky today…Slow but time to give the trout a break.
Just out of curiosity, when every stream I have just fished is not even 60° and I'm catching trout, why is it time to give them a "break?" Also, smallmouth fishing sucks right now. I was just in the Juniata lounging around and in one small spawning area there were 6 large bass I counted. Those aren't catchable fish, IMO.

I guess I could go fish a lake for sunfish, but truthfully I don't find that very enjoyable. Getting baked by the sun on the shore.

I propose an annual Trout season of 4/1 to 5/15. Closed to fishing the rest of the year.

We have Summer temps to think about, the spawn in the Fall, protecting the redds in the Winter, and now low water to worry about late Spring. We need to do what’s best for the fish. This is something we should all get behind.

I’ll send an email to the PFBC to get the ball rolling.

It’s almost like Trout instantly vaporize at a water temp of 67.6F and/or flows 25 percentile points lower than “normal”. 🙄

Just out of curiosity, when every stream I have just fished is not even 60° and I'm catching trout, why is it time to give them a "break?" Also, smallmouth fishing sucks right now. I was just in the Juniata lounging around and in one small spawning area there were 6 large bass I counted. Those aren't catchable fish, IMO.

I guess I could go fish a lake for sunfish, but truthfully I don't find that very enjoyable. Getting baked by the sun on the shore.
I am curious too, jifigz! Is the idea that they are concentrated in low water or something because temps are hardly dangerous??

I have been nymphing the early morning, so I am getting 6 hours in before noon most trips. When I have taken temps in NEPA, for example, at 11 AM the last two weeks, the water has been 60 and under. Fish are sporty as hell in those rather optimum temps too. Even if someone is chasing sulfurs at the end of the day, I am pretty certain that most cricks are not getting up to even 64 F.

Last edited:
The Yellow Breeches was in the high 60's last week. That's the only stream I've fished recently outside of Central PA. Everything in Central PA was low-ish and cold. Overnight temps have been cool. That's helping.

A wet June would be great from a fishing perspective but the wild fish will be ok. I'm sure many stocked streams that cannot support wild trout are tapping out earlier than many years.

I propose an annual Trout season of 4/1 to 5/15. Closed to fishing the rest of the year.

We have Summer temps to think about, the spawn in the Fall, protecting the redds in the Winter, and now low water to worry about late Spring. We need to do what’s best for the fish. This is something we should all get behind.

I’ll send an email to the PFBC to get the ball rolling.

It’s almost like Trout instantly vaporize at a water temp of 67.6F and/or flows 25 percentile points lower than “normal”. 🙄
I hate to spoil your idea but how are the rainbows going to to stand a chance of spawning with you fishing during that time?

I hate to spoil your idea but how are the rainbows going to to stand a chance of spawning with you fishing during that time?

You’re not wrong. Better idea…Open season 4/1-4/2 (or whatever the first weekend in April is). Most guys only fish opening weekend anyway.

I was still proofing my email, I’ll make those changes before sending. See what happens when we all work together? Great ideas blossom.

May '23 is on pace to be the 6th driest month on record for Harrisburg. There were more lightning strikes in January than May in PA.
Weather models have been consistent in a pattern change next week that would give a better chance for precip. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point...

Back