No more quiet times in parts of Potter County

reds wrote:
Just for the record DCNR didn’t cave. They were not given a choice. The legislature demanded it. I’m pretty sure it was even tied to DCNR budget.

Mike’s response: If that’s the case, then that’s a good example of the power that can be exerted on natural resource management when an agency receives monies from the General Fund, meaning when an agency is supported by Pa State taxes. For all the complaining at times, be glad that the PFBC and PGC are independent state agencies and not part of DCNR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLK_HOlk7HY

Read comments below video including one that states" this area is now posted because someone had to be airlifted out of there after being hurt. Alcohol, kids and ATVs in this "club"

What's your point?

My point is this video shows what is typical behavior for these folks. Perfectly acceptable in their worldview. It's not acceptable In my mind to allow this nonsense on land that is set aside for nature.

larkmark wrote:
My point is this video shows what is typical behavior for these folks.
Shouldn't the open intoxicant law apply to ATV riders as well as the general public? Apparently they don't think so...

larkmark wrote:
My point is this video shows what is typical behavior for these folks. Perfectly acceptable in their worldview. It's not acceptable In my mind to allow this nonsense on land that is set aside for nature.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there are those that would make the same argument about hunting, trapping, fishing, boating, camping, mountain biking, and even hiking.

Understand that there are areas set aside for nature in PA where humans are not permitted to even enter.

larkmark wrote:
Maybe someone can set up a private 4 wheeler park like this one in Florida- They use trucks and ATVs and all sorts of things there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8F28WlvQU

Dear larkmark,

There are at least a half dozen, and probably more, pay pits on abandoned coal mine property within a 2 hour drive of anyone in the Eastern half of PA.

I'm not sure they are the answer either? To me, it seems like it offers a coal company the opportunity to profit on land that they would have been forced to reclaim.

I'm no environmental engineer, but I feel safe in saying repeated ripping and tearing across abandoned strip mines does very little to control runoff, or protect any downstream off site properties from potential damages.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Not sure about a Hilljack but my Fathers family owned the land on top of Boot Jack Hill in Elk County up to the fire tower.

Tim Murphy, I was being facetious.
Regards, Mark Larkner

FarmerDave wrote:

Understand that there are areas set aside for nature in PA where humans are not permitted to even enter.

Where people aren't permitted? Like where? I'm not aware of any? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to know examples of some such places?

Many parts of Middle Creek wildlife Preserve

Oh, so you meant where human activity is limited, not where no people are permitted to enter. People who are authorized can and do enter those areas.

Aren't all of those areas able to be entered with a permit? That's what I just found on the DCNR website, at least.

I'm playing the devil's advocate in a way here and being nit-picky, but there is no places in Pennsylvania where "humans don't enter." Some sort of authorized personnel will have access to all areas of the state, just maybe not the general public.

And maybe the propagation areas are totally off limits. This i never knew.

You can't enter the water in fisherman's paradise

jifigz wrote:
And maybe the propagation areas are totally off limits. This i never knew.

Where I grew up, there was a State Game Land Propagation area nearby, in the area surrounding a reservoir. It was closed to entry, but I may or may not have stood on the shores of that reservoir a time or two. I think that designation may have been removed when the borough switched water supplies; in fact, I think a lot of the land was sold for development, unfortunately. Clearly, there is a difference between a regulation that says you can't enter and an area never seeing a human being, ever. A murderer dumped a body there years ago, for instance...

The regulation for propagation areas, regarding entering them, is:

(1) Entry is prohibited, except as authorized by Commission personnel.

I'd be curious what lands FD was referring to. DCNR wouldn't be the agency permitting SGL propagation areas though..

jifigz wrote:
Oh, so you meant where human activity is limited, not where no people are permitted to enter. People who are authorized can and do enter those areas.

Aren't all of those areas able to be entered with a permit? That's what I just found on the DCNR website, at least.

I'm playing the devil's advocate in a way here and being nit-picky, but there is no places in Pennsylvania where "humans don't enter." Some sort of authorized personnel will have access to all areas of the state, just maybe not the general public.

It should have been obvious that I was talking about the general public, but if it wasn't, I apologize (not).;-)

I was indeed referring to propagation areas, I live fairly close to Pymatuning, and I assume that isn't the only propagation area closed to the public in the state.

The Feds have pretty strict no-entry regs on substantial acreage in portions of the National Wildlife Refuge system. An example is the Erie NWR in southern Crawford County. I don't know what percentage of it is off limits, but it is considerable.

Although, anybody who would consider riding an ATV in much of it should really be putting the time they may spend riding into some sort of mental health regimen. You couldn't walk more than a hundred feet in much of it without the help of a winch, a machete and boot foot chest waders..

reds wrote:
Just for the record DCNR didn’t cave. They were not given a choice. The legislature demanded it. I’m pretty sure it was even tied to DCNR budget.

Good stuff. Thanks. I think you are correct.

The head of DCNR, Cindy Adams Dunn, worked with PennFuture and the Audubon Society, before her work with DCNR.

So, it's very unlikely that she wants to expand ATV use on DCNR land.

It's some of those state legislators again. Probably the same ones who support stocking over native brook trout.

BTW, I was at a meeting about ATV access on public lands, that was held near Bellefonte some years ago. I was really shocked at how the state legislators berated and talked down and disrespected the people from DCNR and the PGC. Just to pander to the ATV people who had packed the place. It was really sickening.

Back