No more quiet times in parts of Potter County

wildtrout2 wrote:
Swattie, it was just below Beech Bottom where I had my encounter with those folks. I've seen several 4x4's drive up there in the past.

Yeah. I’ve been camped at the confluence site before and heard all night gunfire from downstream. I first assumed the Dutchmen had showed up since I had hiked in, but upon hiking out I found the Camp-tilla, more or less set up in the Dutchmen’s back yard. Might be the same group of jags you ran into. I’ve seen one particular group more than once there.

That’s a “Wild” / “Natural” Area up there. Needs a gate. Have no problem with the legacy camp owners driving up there to their camps, but everyone else should be walking in. That will discourage 99% of these shenanigans.

The labyrinth of makeshift rutted roads from the ford to Beech Bottom has severely fragmented the stream in that lower section. Not good during low flows. The fix they did a couple years to divert most of the stream back into its original channel helped, but will be temporary.

Our public roads were not designed for recreation. Travel, yes but not ripping around in an unsafe manner on 4 wheelers. Our natural areas that are public need to be protected from the damage these machines cause. Let the ATV folks ride on their own land and stay out of the creeks and wetlands altogether. The state shouldn't be setting anything aside for these types of destructive activities whether popular or not.

BradFromPotter wrote:
jifigz wrote:
Some of you fellers are crazy. Yes, ATV riding can be destructive. Umm....so can fishing. Ever hear of the brown trout displacing native fish? Or perhaps those non-native smallmouths we love to catch? Oh, and let's not forget how anglers have introduced rusty crayfish, flatheads, snakeheads, and all sorts of other things to places where they shouldn't exist. How many of you have waded Spring Creek and then, without using separate waders, boots, or allowing your gear to properly dry before stepping into another stream? Maybe you possibly spread those pesky NZ mud snails?

Logging can be detrimental to the ecosystem too, but it is necessary. ATV riding is not necessary, it is recreational, just like the flying fishing you do on public lands.

This is an overblown concern. Impact will be minimal. Just my two cents. Everything we do has an impact on the land. IF we stopped doing everything that impacts the land except for the necessary stuff, none of us would be doing much of anything.

Unless you live in a town that will have large numbers of atv's driving down your streets most weekends!

Brad you might be surprised how quickly you get used to it ;-)

Just wait til you see people struggling to strap their groceries onto the ATV at the Dollar General!

The_Sasquatch wrote:
BradFromPotter wrote:
jifigz wrote:
Some of you fellers are crazy. Yes, ATV riding can be destructive. Umm....so can fishing. Ever hear of the brown trout displacing native fish? Or perhaps those non-native smallmouths we love to catch? Oh, and let's not forget how anglers have introduced rusty crayfish, flatheads, snakeheads, and all sorts of other things to places where they shouldn't exist. How many of you have waded Spring Creek and then, without using separate waders, boots, or allowing your gear to properly dry before stepping into another stream? Maybe you possibly spread those pesky NZ mud snails?

Logging can be detrimental to the ecosystem too, but it is necessary. ATV riding is not necessary, it is recreational, just like the flying fishing you do on public lands.

This is an overblown concern. Impact will be minimal. Just my two cents. Everything we do has an impact on the land. IF we stopped doing everything that impacts the land except for the necessary stuff, none of us would be doing much of anything.

Unless you live in a town that will have large numbers of atv's driving down your streets most weekends!

Brad you might be surprised how quickly you get used to it ;-)

Just wait til you see people struggling to strap their groceries onto the ATV at the Dollar General!

Every weekend somebody is getting hurt here. It will be interesting!

Not for nothing, but let them ride around streets made for automobiles. I've personally witnessed accidents in Philly where I live between AtVs/dirt bikes and cars. And guess who wins every time? The car. No one learns from their successes, only their mistakes. It might sound callous but it's true. As to how to protect stream habitat from off-road vehicle damage? Somehow deny them access to it. Yes, there will still be those who access those areas regardless but they would be MUCH less in numbers than if offroad vehicles were allowed access.

Several years ago I came very close to smashing into 2 young people on ATVs on Route 144, Ridge Road, between Snowshoe and Renovo.

I was driving at normal speed and was going around a bend and over a rise, when suddenly there was an ATV with 2 young people in my lane coming straight at me.

I whipped the wheel to the right, and they veered off too, so a head on collision was avoided, but not by much.

If I had been changing the radio station, or messing with a cell phone, and lost 1 second, they would have both been dead. It was that close.

It looked they were racing another couple in an ATV, and passing them, and the other riders were trying to push them over to prevent them from passing, so they veered clear over into the middle of my lane.

At a blind spot, where I couldn't see them because of the curve and the rise, until the last second.

And they were riding illegally. At that time it was not legal to ride them on Route 144.

I don't know if that will change now. I saw a sign in Renovo saying that it's OK to ride ATVs on Route 144 across the river and through town.

It's madness.

Most of these ATVs are made by Japanese companies. Do you think in Japan they are allowed to roam around through the woods, running through streams, destroying wetlands, tearing up the vegetation, causing erosion, making all that noise?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

Not to the scale the "hilljacks" do but short answer, yes.
ATVs were developed in Japan so that isolated farmers could transport their crops and supplies across rugged terrain.

Thinking about why this bothers me I realize just how ridiculous this thread is and it is a good representative of what is plaguing this country. I grew up in the Appalachia woods of PA. My family is small and we pinched pennies anywhere we could. My father was a hard-working man who did the best he could for his family. We couldn't afford good shoes much less an ATV. My mother and father made sure their children would be better off than they were and sent us off to college. Here I guess is where I graduated from "hillbilly" to "hilljack", to you "flatlander yuppies".

It isn't that people native to the Appalachia range don't own ATV's, some do but many don't. We just don't have the advantage of great paying jobs like those in the outlying counties from the forests.

It burns me a bit though reading this thread after having dealt with the stereotypes from "city folk" my whole life. Especially since many buy up cabins in my area and use them as weekend retreats to do whatever they please, while maintaining the stereotypes that "hilljacks" dont know any better.

Ask yourself,who is doing the most damage, the locals or the "weekenders"?
“ATV season” traditionally kicks into gear on Memorial Day weekend and continues until late September. Wonder why that is?

I guess the "hilljacks" garage their ATV's they spent a years salary on in the spring, fall and winter :roll:

https://www.endeavornews.com/articles/potter-county-targeted-for-atv-trails/

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2021/02/coronavirus-fuels-surge-in-atv-and-snowmobile-permits-in-pa.html

As of Feb. 3, Westmoreland County had 13,886 registered ATV/off-road vehicles, the highest amount in the state, the news site reported. Allegheny County was second, with 12,977 registrations.

I believe we all should be working together to fight this but you want to label and divide. That is fine, it relieves many from looking inward at their own impacts, but then nothing changes. That is fine too, but at least be honest about yourselves. It isn't the locals that sparsely populates the area doing the most damage IMO. Why is it said, even in this thread, every weekend someone is getting hurt?
I guess the "hilljacks" don't ride ATV's Mon.- Thursday but just on the weekends.

Better yet just make fun of their spin reels on Ugly Sticks and rubber hip boots while you fish with your 1000 dollar Winston and equally as expensive Simms waders. Just leave the rest of your "yuppie" stereotypes and holier than thou attitude back in Philly or where ever you came from.

Some are sick of hearing it while you talk about being inclusive out of the other side of your mouth.

Susquehanna, well put!

I don't live in a town that will be affected by any of this. I don't know, I just think public land should be managed best for resources and to provide recreation for the citizens that pay taxes. I hardly ever even leave the confines of Mifflin, Juniata, Huntingdon, or Centre counties....and I am rarely in centr county anymore. We have lots of public land where I live and I never see anyone riding ATV's, dirt bikes, or anything. I head to the woods and see hardly anyone.

But, whatever happens, life will go on.

Susquehanna, I agree that we should not blame the "hilljacks". I know of families from the Harrisburg/Lancaster areas who have cabins, in some cases lodges up in the mountains. Some have what I would call a fleet of ATV's and are wealthy and connected.

ATV’s are special.

My activities don’t make loud noise or tear up trails and stink up the places with exhaust (just my posts).

I see deaths all the time on motorcycles and atv’s.

Any adult that has children or other loved ones they are responsible for and rides an ATV or motorcycle is totally irresponsible in my opinion.

Susquehanna wrote:
Thinking about why this bothers me I realize just how ridiculous this thread is and it is a good representative of what is plaguing this country. I grew up in the Appalachia woods of PA. My family is small and we pinched pennies anywhere we could. My father was a hard-working man who did the best he could for his family. We couldn't afford good shoes much less an ATV. My mother and father made sure their children would be better off than they were and sent us off to college. Here I guess is where I graduated from "hillbilly" to "hilljack", to you "flatlander yuppies".

It isn't that people native to the Appalachia range don't own ATV's, some do but many don't. We just don't have the advantage of great paying jobs like those in the outlying counties from the forests.

It burns me a bit though reading this thread after having dealt with the stereotypes from "city folk" my whole life. Especially since many buy up cabins in my area and use them as weekend retreats to do whatever they please, while maintaining the stereotypes that "hilljacks" dont know any better.

“ATV season” traditionally kicks into gear on Memorial Day weekend and continues until late September. Wonder why that is?

I guess the "hilljacks" garage their ATV's they spent a years salary on in the spring, fall and winter :roll:

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2021/02/coronavirus-fuels-surge-in-atv-and-snowmobile-permits-in-pa.html

As of Feb. 3, Westmoreland County had 13,886 registered ATV/off-road vehicles, the highest amount in the state, the news site reported. Allegheny County was second, with 12,977 registrations.

I believe we all should be working together to fight this but you want to label and divide. That is fine, it relieves many from looking inward at their own impacts, but then nothing changes. That is fine too, but at least be honest about yourselves. It isn't the locals that sparsely populates the area doing the most damage IMO. Why is it said, even in this thread, every weekend someone is getting hurt?
I guess the "hilljacks" don't ride ATV's Mon.- Thursday but just on the weekends.

Better yet just make fun of their spin reels on Ugly Sticks and rubber hip boots while you fish with your 1000 dollar Winston and equally as expensive Simms waders. Just leave the rest of your "yuppie" stereotypes and holier than thou attitude back in Philly or where ever you came from.

Some are sick of hearing it while you talk about being inclusive out of the other side of your mouth.

From what I see most of the atv's here in Potter are not from locals. Although local do have them. The numbers of trailers driving along Rt6 on a Friday night is unreal.

The OP was about ATVs being allowed on additional roads.

But the thread has suffered from a "hilljack hijack."

Traditional recreation on public forest lands included things like hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, birding, photography, picking berries and ramps etc.

It did not include ATVs.

People started buying ATVs but without owning land to use them on. And they've been pressuring the resource land agencies to provide places for them to ride on the public resource lands.

What they should do is just say "No." Because it's a use that is incompatible with managing the natural resources. The PGC does say "No."

The DCNR and ANF has caved in. The field people with these agencies don't like it.

It shows the power of an organized, relentless special interest group.

troutbert wrote:
Traditional recreation on public forest lands included things like hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, birding, photography, picking berries and ramps etc.

It did not include ATVs.

People started buying ATVs but without owning land to use them on. And they've been pressuring the resource land agencies to provide places for them to ride on the public resource lands.

What they should do is just say "No." Because it's a use that is incompatible with managing the natural resources. The PGC does say "No."

The DCNR and ANF has caved in. The field people with these agencies don't like it.

It shows the power of an organized, relentless special interest group.
Spot on troutbert. The DCNR caved to special interest groups regardless of how their own employees felt or for that matter, the general public. Sadly, there are not nearly enough field people to manage the beast they are creating.

Swattie87 wrote:
The state really just needs to gate Hammersley at the creek ford and give the handful of camp owners on the west side of the creek keys. I’ve seen it done elsewhere, so why not here? It’s a mess to Beech Bottom Hollow.

ATV’s are one thing, but full size trucks are far worse. I’ve seen full on multiple vehicle camp outfits up above the Dutchmen before, and an abandoned pickup stuck in the mud between the Dutchmen and Beech Bottom.

100%. In a state like PA, where such areas are so rare, we need to keep it special. Gate it off, legacy camps get a key, everyone else-you gotta hoof it in. It's not that far...seriously.

BradFromPotter wrote:
Susquehanna wrote:

From what I see most of the atv's here in Potter are not from locals. Although local do have them. The numbers of trailers driving along Rt6 on a Friday night is unreal.

I'd be willing to bet the folks who live IN Potter who have ATV's and side-by-sides actually use them on their own land for farming, etc.

Back