New to tying... Need some help!

Walleigh_World

Walleigh_World

Just ordered basically everything to start tying nymphs, i really want to get tying down and i am going to be a beginner. was wondering if there were any patterns you guys recommend for me to start with.

Gold Ribbed Hares Ear is a good one. Telico, prince nymph, zug bug. Anything you want to know about a patern just ask.

Gold ribbed hare's ear and pheasant tail, both are very simple to tie, and will cover 90% of mayfly nymphs...basically all I carry, along with black, brown and golden stonefly nymphs, some simple czech nymphs for caseless caddis larvae and Ian's Crunchy caddis for cased caddis larvae and you have a great all-around nymph box. Oh, and if you have drakes or Hexagenia in your local waters, throw in the Clouser swimming nymph. Those are really the only nymphs I carry on a regular basis, with some more realistic patterns if I'm headed to more pressured waters.

Copper John or pheasant tails, and Olive beadhead caddis (tapered dubbing body w/ black dubbing collar)

Good Luck!

I'm lazy, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't tie copper johns for money, much less my personal satisfaction. Its truly a PITA. I made one, once, in a tying class and swore to never use it again. If I ever feel the urge, I'll make some brassies.

You want the basics? Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail, Prince and the generic caddis worm BB posted.

They're all simple, basic, and effective, with a minimum of materials and a world of effective modifications. Beads, Colours. Etc.

I agree with the copper john being a PITA. They do work but other patterns are easier to tie. As everyone else said the P-tail and CZ nymphs are simple and effective. Also caddis are esay and good to have in your box. You can add beads to vary the pattens.

another word of advice go to a craft store for some of the same materials it will save you money

Badonkadonk, Obviously

Thanks for the advice guys, looking forward to gettin my tying materials in the next few days. cant wait to try some of these patterns out!

I'm all for nymphs-checkout the login- but I strongly encourage you to start tying olive softhackles very soon.

soft hackles = nymph with hackle tied at eye, then tied back slightly.

Nymphs can be tricky if you haven't tied before try starting with basic patterns such as eggs, sucker spawn, and weenies. Then advance to wooley buggers. From there nymphs become alot easier.

Wait gfen, what do you find difficult about a copper john if ya dont mind me asking? Its just a PT with a wire body.

time waste with fiddly bits, glue, and too much stuff.

WW,
I tend to agree with gfen that Copperjohns are more trouble than they're worth. Also, keep in mind that nymphs are flies that generally allow for a lot of flexibility in size and material subtitutions so you can really experiment. I'd recommend you start out with some basic patterns that others have suggested like a Walt's Worm or Hare's Ear - start with larger sizes, say #12 or so. If you're having trouble with dubbing, you might try making some of your nymphs with chenille bodies as this is easier than dubbing or spinning fur unto thread. For nymphs, use the skinny chenille - the stuff that's about this thickness: //
If you use the thicker chenille that is closer to the diameter of a pencil it will be too fat for small nymphs (use the thick stuff for bigger streamers).

Back