New Sage Rod

regarding the hydros / helios, they are two completely different rods built on different blanks. I'm sure they are both great rods, and may even feel similar, but the idea that they are the same blanks with different hardware is a myth. The way they are marketed by orvis plays into this myth. Not saying one rod is better than the other, but you can buy either a hydros or helios blank. When sage introduced the VXP there were similar rumors (to the helios / hydros rumor) that it was the same as an XP.

moon1284 wrote:
regarding the hydros / helios, they are two completely different rods built on different blanks. I'm sure they are both great rods, and may even feel similar, but the idea that they are the same blanks with different hardware is a myth. The way they are marketed by orvis plays into this myth. Not saying one rod is better than the other, but you can buy either a hydros or helios blank. When sage introduced the VXP there were similar rumors (to the helios / hydros rumor) that it was the same as an XP.

You're going to have to provide a source, because that's not the case according to everything I've heard, including from good friends at orvis.

Edit: I've found mention that the blanks were merely "similar", or built with the same technology, but it's heresay just the same.

The rods feel identical to me, and that's the crux of the point I was making, which still holds imo.

Edit again: Editing my above post to say "blank design/technology" instead of blank would be certifiably true according to what I am finding. The jury is still out on whether the blank is the same.

Here you go:
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Orvis/Hydros

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Orvis/Helios

If they feel identical to you, that is all that matters. Rod price seems to correlate directly with higher modulus (newer generation) graphite, but that doesn't equate to how good the rod is to the end user. Case in point, I prefer my 10+ year old St Croix imperial 904 to legend and legend elite 904s.

Thanks. I'll read 'em when I get a few moments later today.

Ya, looks like the Hydros blank weight is double that of the Helios.

Interesting, and I stand corrected.

In that case, sage should produce a rod on the same blank technology with the same performance for $300 less!

there is one out there....

It's called a St Croix Legend Elite :)

And it's my next rod. :)

Bring it to the jam. I need to get some... alone time with it.

4wt or 5wt?

4. I got my 5wt, and it's time to retire my old noodly TFO 4wt and give it to a kid that will use it.

I may have to take the plastic off of that one. LOL. I'm not sure I've used it more than once last year. You need a reel too? I've got one spooled with Gold and one with Sharkskin. Try them both. If you break it, you get it repaired. :) That would be a good trico set up for the JAM.

I am set on my versitex 3wt for trikes. I feel it's the proper rod for the LL, given the LLFS history of selling them.

Not making the trico jam, but I would love to try it there if I did.

The only reel I have spooled with 4wt is my old 1492, which will probably be gifted to the youngster that gets my TFO, so please do bring the reels if you can.

jdaddy wrote:
Ya, looks like the Hydros blank weight is double that of the Helios.

"our new Hydros rods use the same graphite and scrim technologies as our award winning Helios rods"

"Helios™ Fly Rods...f our patent-pending thermoplastic, thermoset resins used from tip to butt."

Seems like they only ever claimed the same graphite and scrim layers, but the glue its bound with is different stuff.

Jay,

I'm not making the Trico JAM.... I was talking fishing tricos on the WB in August.

Tight lines,
Andy

Ah. I'd like to try that.

May the wind pass majestically through your locks,
Jay

krayfish wrote:
Jay,

I'm not making the Trico JAM.... I was talking fishing tricos on the WB in August.

Tight lines,
Andy

Tight lines? Are you some kind of kiss ***? I hate when people say that!

Jim

krayfish wrote:
I guess he's taking the secret to the grave. If you want to know how it was.... you'll have to go find one and cast it.

I would say it is a lighter Z-axis it was windy when I casted it so I didn't get a true feel for the rod plus the guy at tco kept pushing the new winston rod on me to the point that he almost made me cast it . They must get kick backs from winston with how bad this guy was pushing this winston. I do like the new grip though it gives you more power during casting

Fredrick wrote:
krayfish wrote:
I guess he's taking the secret to the grave. If you want to know how it was.... you'll have to go find one and cast it.

I would say it is a lighter Z-axis it was windy when I casted it so I didn't get a true feel for the rod plus the guy at tco kept pushing the new winston rod on me to the point that he almost made me cast it . They must get kick backs from winston with how bad this guy was pushing this winston. I do like the new grip though it gives you more power during casting

Now that is damn strange. TCO flagship in Reading was a solid Winston shop but for the last year has had 1-2 Winstons in stock, with a serious hard on for their new Scott line up. They only have a couple Sage rods. Going in tomorrow, I'll see what they have.

Tight wraps!
Jeff

They did have a but load of scott when I was there but they didn't push them on me at all . The only sage they had was the one

Back