New rod, reel and line

ColdBore wrote:
For most, it seems that the price tag directly influences their rod decision.

If the money was sitting there, I'd choose to continue to fish with one of my current rods and reels, which are perfectly adequate, then use that money to pay for a nice trip with those current setups.

Good idea ^....+1.

A rod outfit is just a tool to FF for me, too.

The place you fish, maybe the fish you pursue, or the friends or family that join you on your trip make for a great experience.

I agree with Coldbore, I would also spend the money to go on a great trip from my bucket list.

As the farmer said when he kissed the cow"every man to his own taste". GG

I posted awhile back "My new old fly rod." It was about how I had my grandfather's 1964 Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod reconditioned by Art Weiler in Kunkeltown. PA.

I have it matched with an Orvis Battenkill disc drive reel. I am very happy to honor my grandfather with this rod/reel combo.

I also have the higher end Orvis Helios 3/Mirage fly reel and the lower priced Recon/Helios reel. Both are 9'/5 wt. I like them both but find myself fishing the lower priced Recon/Helios. The #1 reason is because the Helios 3/Mirage doesn't have the eyelet next to the handle to attach the fly when I am moving around.

I just bought a new Orvis Clearwater rod/reel combo for nymph fishing to learn Euro nymphing. This also doesn't have that above handle eyelet. Since I am a beginner nymph fisherman, I went with the lower priced rod/reel combo.

The moral of the story is to always examine before purchasing anything.

CT, I assume you're talking about those two rods not having hook keepers. Just attach the fly to the leg of the stripping guide (don't use the guide itself as you might mar the coating) then loop your leader around the back of the reel. This also keeps your leader from getting kinked by the tip-top.

If I assumed wrong, disregard the above advice.

Thank you for the advise. I am going to do that on my next fly fishing outing which probably won't be for awhile since I am not much of a winter outdoor adventurer.

ColdBore wrote:
JMP wrote:

If cost is not an issue, you have the opportunity to select any new rod, reel and line. What would you select and why?

If the money was sitting there, I'd choose to continue to fish with one of my current rods and reels, which are perfectly adequate, then use that money to pay for a nice trip with those current setups.

Many of already have all the utilitarian rod we need. We're talking a wish list here -- rods we would love to have but can't afford.

If money is really no object, you can presumably go on all the trips you want already.

(I've got to agree with they person who answered "real Garrison" but that wouldn't be a new rod in the literal sense.)

The newly released Stickman 10' 2wt, Hardy Duchess, SA Infinity Amplitude or Barrio Small Stream

Back