New Notice Of Stocking Requirement

Speaking of commissioners, does anyone have a way to get in touch with our commissioners, who i thought were supposed to be working to represent us?

Nothing seems to be readily available online or in the regulations booklet. Call your regional PFBC law enforcement office. They’ll have it. I now see that you tried that. So try another. I have no idea why they wouldn’t give it to you unless they’ve been told not to in recent yrs. Your AFM office should have it too, but to be honest I recall only about one request for commissioner contact info in the 39 yrs that I had access to it. They say they hear from anglers, so someone has provided contact info or else they are hearing indirectly via letters and emails sent to Hbg and forwarded to the appropriate commissioner.
Try another regional Law Enforcement office. If they won’t give it to you, ask if it’s policy to not release that info and ask how you're supposed to contact your commissioner.

Last edited:
I agree. Here's the rub. You didn't elect them. Can you find contact info to directly contact PUC commissioners? Game commission members? Real Estate Commissions?

Go to town. Who's number is available.

Commissions & Councils​

How many of these other commissions have the ability to fine and arrest? I get the feeling that the answer is very few. Elsewhere in the state when a law is proposed, I have the ability to contact my elected officials directly and inform them if I think they should support or oppose a bill. A simple email or phone call is enough. All the contact information is found easily.

The same should be able to occur with the PFBC and PGC.

They're asking for notification of Stocking. I think they already do that. Sounds like by example.
I’ve yet to see this notice of stocking paperwork, but I think that I’m going to be required to give much more information that what PFBC makes public.

I can only assume that I’ll have to tell them the exact number of fish stocked, broke down by species. While the PFBC shares this information with warm water fish, it doesn’t with trout.

The commissioners are available to license holders write toHQ.
The communication will be forwarded.

You sure do a lot of "getting the feeling" and "assume"ing but not a lot of proving. I do think we're getting closer to what your real problem with PAFBC is. Honestly. I have never had my license checked by an actual commissioner. the phone number for that department of the PAFBC is listed however.

You sure do a lot of "getting the feeling" and "assume"ing but not a lot of proving. I do think we're getting closer to what your real problem with PAFBC is. Honestly. I have never had my license checked by an actual commissioner. the phone number for that department of the PAFBC is listed however.
Are you honestly confusing a conservation officer with a commissioner?

The commissioners are available to license holders write toHQ.
The communication will be forwarded.
If that’s the case, that information should be available either online or in the digest.

Also, how can we trust the PFBC to make sure that the correspondence actually makes it to the commissioners?

Im seeing through Cznymph's posts too... his posts are very similar to other members of the NFC.

How many of these other commissions have the ability to fine and arrest? I get the feeling that the answer is very few. Elsewhere in the state when a law is proposed, I have the ability to contact my elected officials directly and inform them if I think they should support or oppose a bill. A simple email or phone call is enough.
You should read Mike's post. I think his response is good.
I'm not saying the information shouldnt be made more readily available but you might get what you need.

I’ve had an opportunity to look at the NOS form on the HuntFishPA website.

They are wanting GPS coordinates or location, name of waterway, date of stocking, fish species, size and number of fish, open to public fishing etc.

Two things I found interesting with this.

1. It’s a requirement to have a copy of the NOS on your person when stocking. Not sure why competing the paperwork after the stocking isn’t sufficient. It is called a notice of stocking, not a permission to stock.

2. The PFBC has provided a list of approved species and what waterways they may be stocked in. I don’t recall ever seeing something this before, and it was pretty straight forward with one exception. The stocking of Atlantic salmon is forbidden in all the states watersheds. Goldfish were permitted to be stocked state wide but darn if you can’t stock a native species in its original watershed.

2. The PFBC has provided a list of approved species and what waterways they may be stocked in. I don’t recall ever seeing something this before, and it was pretty straight forward with one exception. The stocking of Atlantic salmon is forbidden in all the states watersheds. Goldfish were permitted to be stocked state wide but darn if you can’t stock a native species in its original watershed.
Are Atlantic Salmon native to anywhere in PA? I'm not sure, but I thought that they weren't.

Are Atlantic Salmon native to anywhere in PA? I'm not sure, but I thought that they weren't.
According to NOAA, "In the United States, Atlantic salmon were once native to almost every river north of the Hudson River. Due to the effects of industrial and agricultural development (including habitat destruction, dams, and historic overfishing), most populations native to New England were eradicated. Now, the only native populations of Atlantic salmon in the United States are found in Maine."

76559281 CCEF 434E 844A B4B76D7BD746

Orange is native range, brown is introduced range.

Yes, I copied and pasted sue me.

Brook Trout are Pennsylvania's only inland salmonid (trout/salmon) classified as both native and wild

There are three groups of Atlantic salmon: North American, European, and Baltic. These groups are found in the waters of North America, Iceland, Greenland, Europe, and Russia. Atlantic salmon spawn in the coastal rivers of northeastern North America, Iceland, Europe, and northwestern Russia. After spawning, they migrate through various portions of the North Atlantic Ocean. European and North American populations of Atlantic salmon intermix while living in the ocean, where they share summer feeding grounds off Greenland. The North American group historically ranged from northern Quebec to Newfoundland and to Long Island Sound. This group includes Canadian populations and U.S. populations. In Canada, healthy populations still exist today, however, many populations are severely depleted.
The GOM DPS at listing included the nine remnant populations in central and eastern Maine. River specific populations still persist in the Sheepscot, Penobscot (including the Ducktrap), Narraguagus, Pleasant, Machias, East Machias, and Dennys rivers. GOM salmon leave Maine rivers in the spring and reach the seas off Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, by mid-summer. They spend their first winter at sea south of Greenland and their second growing season at sea off the coast of West Greenland and sometimes East Greenland. Maturing fish travel back to their native rivers in Maine to spawn after 1 to 3 years.
Atlantic Salmon Range_rev.png

I never claimed that Atlantics were native to PA, only that the PFBC now prohibits stocking them in their native watershed.

I'm not understanding.
How does the PFBC prohibit stocking of Atlantic Salmon outside their jurisdiction?
They are prohibiting the stocking of Atlantic Salmon into waters in the Lake Ontario watershed.

Back