New Member in Hershey

HoboWithAFlyRod

Hey everyone,
I moved to PA a few years ago during the pandemic and found fly fishing by googling “what’s a good outdoor activity to do in Pennsylvania?” It’s been lots of fun when I can get out but I’m still in beginner mode because having two kids under 3 keeps me from getting consistent practice. Really excited for the coming trout season and I even have a guide day booked in State College to see something different than the closest streams to my house. My goals this spring are to try and fish Big Spring and Stony Creek because I haven’t been to them yet and learn how put together and fish a dry dropper setup.

Last edited:
Welcome to the board and and Pennsylvania. I’m from Lancaster county so I’m close. While we don’t have great trout fishing, we’re on the main corridor to central PA. Also, don’t overlook the local opportunities for smallmouth bass on the swatara and Susquehanna rivers.

Welcome to the forum Hobo. Lots of really good info already here that'll help you along your learning journey and plenty of folks willing to help guide you through the new situations you'll encounter. Looking forward to seeing you in the threads.

Welcome aboard. GG

Welcome to the board and and Pennsylvania. I’m from Lancaster county so I’m close. While we don’t have great trout fishing, we’re on the main corridor to central PA. Also, don’t overlook the local opportunities for smallmouth bass on the swatara and Susquehanna rivers.
Yes! I’m very interested in bass; I got an 8wt outfit on clearance to try and get into it this summer. Main thing holding me back is it seems like most bass fishing takes place in boats and I don’t have one. I need to find places I can wade or fish from the bank and the idea of wading in the Susquehanna terrifies me.

Welcome to PAFF!

Enjoy the kids while you can. Get them on the water with you when they grow up. Now let’s get you into fly tying and you will really be hooked!!

Yes! I’m very interested in bass; I got an 8wt outfit on clearance to try and get into it this summer. Main thing holding me back is it seems like most bass fishing takes place in boats and I don’t have one. I need to find places I can wade or fish from the bank and the idea of wading in the Susquehanna terrifies me.

The Susquehanna should be respected but in July there are a lot of areas that are wadeable. It’s always a good idea to wear a PFD and some studded boots. If I were you I would start off in the Swatara, it’s much easier to wade and a lot closer. Mixed bag of fish there including fall fish, smallmouth bass, catfish and panfish.

Back