new guy in SW PA has ?'s

Ryan,

I know I'm late to this post, but I'm from the Greensburg area. I actually went to college at Saint Vincent. Love the area. There are no streams like Spring or Spruce though that's for sure. I'm still new myself and I run into a number of troubles on the stream, I often go by myself or with my fishing buddy from Penn State. When he comes with me he can usually instruct me on what I'm doing wrong, but often times I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong when I'm by myself. Well let's put it this way, I know I'm doing SOMETHING wrong, I'm just not aware of what that is.

I caught the bug though, and I won't ever go back to spin fishing.

I fish the Loyalhannah a lot. The only time I have success in it though is right after it's stocked, and in the delayed harvest section. I don't keep any fish of course, but it keeps the dirty bait guys out.

ryanpgh wrote:
I've also tied a few of the triple surgeon's knots. It seems bulky to me.. as if it causes a crease in the line instead of a nice even flow like the blood knot.

You're doing something wrong, then.
A triple surgeon will lay straight, a standard (ie, 2x through) will put a bend in the line.

When I tie leaders, all the thick stuff is bloodknotted together, but when I get to the finicky thin stuff at the end its triple surgeon's knots for the last few.

Thought this was a new thread, my bad.

Double uni knot for leader to tippet. I've tied surgeon and blood knots,but to me the double uni is easier and just works for me. GG

pcray1231 wrote:

4. Yes, but not me, so I'll let them answer. By the way, you have PLENTY of wild trout fishing around you, once you get bored of the stockers.

Which wild trout streams are you referring to? I'm always looking for a new stream to try.

Which wild trout streams are you referring to? I'm always looking for a new stream to try.

Here's a map of all (well, almost) streams in PA which hold wild trout. Happy hunting.

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=980

Back