New development / good news for the Lehigh River

It looks like there is a groundswell of opposition concerning the study and any changes to the FEW dam and Lehigh River flow because of the funding from New York City >

New York City is trying to steal the water out of the Lehigh River. Follow, Friends of the Lehigh River, to help fight against the destruction of our local, regional, and statewide economy. Come to the first public meeting January 9th, at 6:00PM to support the current flow management plan at the Mountain Laurel Resort in White Haven, PA. Can't make it? Email & call your local politicians and the Army corp at PDPA-NAP@usace.army.mil to voice your opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/109318403905574/videos/2582978508655790/

Why would NYC want to "block the flow"? Honestly that makes no sense. I only see their interest as using more FEW water to control saltwater in phila than water from NYC water supply dams Cannnonsville and Pepacton.

What is Phila's position?

Also interesting that the commercial references "boating" not rafting and shows 1 few second clip with one " boat". Surely the rafting companies have great interest in this yet they are not mentioned or mentioned in a very oblique way. Hmmmmmm.???????? Who paid for this commercial.?

Something is not right here. Call me sceptical.

afishinado wrote:
Tigereye wrote:
Also interesting that the commercial references "boating" not rafting and shows 1 few second clip with one " boat". Surely the rafting companies have great interest in this yet they are not mentioned or mentioned in a very oblique way. Hmmmmmm.???????? Who paid for this commercial.?

I too am interested to learn more about this movement and who or what is behind it.

I searched the "Friends of the Lehigh River" and found this position statement put out by them >

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X_FNJHz4JZZZk9RFIOlBPvNPW12h3FZf/view?fbclid=IwAR3jIS--wL-1bXBHpMxwBcUf8yiU2iKhmh43QeN5g-8JJJrmLnpqRrvDAS4

From reading, my take is the fear that any additional water capacity would be held in reserve allowing NYC to take more water and lower flows in the upper Delaware River by using the Lehigh River / FEW dam to supplement flows for Philadelphia water intakes downstream. Plus the Montague target upstream may be lowered.

I will say the NYC has some stake in the whole thing if they pitched in $1.5M for the study. Crazy stuff, we just want to fish....

The old sayings “And the plot thickens,” and “Be careful with what you wish for,” come into potential play here.

Tigereye wrote:

There are many private kayakers and rafters that use the Lehigh. They are quite interested in what's going on too.

That was a Pocono Whitewater raft in the video. The shot of Pocono biking, which is one of PWs sister companies, gives me a reasonable idea of who shot the video at the very least. All 4 rafting companies are working together to oppose this, so it could be all of them splitting the cost.

Here is more info explaining the opposition by the "Friends of the Lehigh River" to the study and possible expansion of the capacity of the FEW reservoir >

Its pretty simple explanation regarding that video. It is a propaganda piece from the whitewater industry. It is preying on change and fear for the people who only get their news via Facebook. They don't want change. They want status quo. What is interesting is how the whitewater crowd is latching onto the conservation angle. I guess floating on a bubble of water that is released in short pulses makes you an advocate for the environment.

What I want to know is where our two state agencies that have a vested interest in the resource stand? And not to mention the Corps! The PFBC and the DCNR have put in a lot of work for the last 15 years via the Flow Plans and I would argue that is when the Lehigh really started to turn around. The seasonal flow plans and the capability to store 65-70' of water and release throughout the summer has made a difference. Are our state agencies willing to roll over and give that up?

Also, a local state rep from the area has also voiced his concern about the resource that could be in jeopardy - - ie., the river, the fishery, the releases, etc. Meanwhile this guy has labeled Trout Unlimited as a 'rouge' agency. I can guarantee you that Trout Unlimited at some point will be advocating for the same thing this guy is advocating for. Adversity makes for interesting bed fellows.

Honestly, no one on the outside has any clue where this is going.

I'll make popcorn. This could be an interesting watch. Not real quick to accept change but I can see both sides of the argument. Agree with VC that I don't recall seeing anything from State, ACOE, etc.

I'll be honest that this entire thing has me uneasy because there's not enough truthful intentions being put out there for public consumption. Keeping the fingers crossed.

krayfish2 wrote:
I'll make popcorn. This could be an interesting watch. Not real quick to accept change but I can see both sides of the argument. Agree with VC that I don't recall seeing anything from State, ACOE, etc.

I'll be honest that this entire thing has me uneasy because there's not enough truthful intentions being put out there for public consumption. Keeping the fingers crossed.

No doubt, an interesting and complicated scenario yet to be played out.

One thing I can guarantee is that New York City expects some return or benefit based on the fact that they are funding the lion's share of the study ($1.4M). Given that fact, there can be little doubt at some level and with some government agency, the benefit to NYC for increasing the capacity of the FEW reservoir was discussed if not promised.

As Mike said in an earlier post > "Be careful what you wish for...."

All,

I think the fishery has the most to gain from this Study and eventual outcome. Even if it means only additional water storage above the current Flow Plan storage. What can't happen is if something would over-ride the current Flow Plans. These Flow Plans must be used as a baseline to build from.

I completely disagree with the "Be careful what you wish for" statement. This is counter productive. If we want things to change for the better we have to engage in the process and be vocal advocates for the fishery. The PFBC needs to step up and be fully engaged in the process and not take a back seat approach.

There is still lots to determine and the devil will be in the details, but I think there should be cautious optimism that this is moving forward. Speculation will get us know where and only send out the wrong message. We will know more after the Jan 9th meeting.

The "boating" industry is concerned that in raising the pool level (blocking the flow) will adversely affect discharge plans that have historically been boater friendly.

The DRBC mission is to protect conserve and "allocate"(among other things) water resources. NY Gov Cuomo is Commission Chair for the 7/1/19 to 6/30/20 term. Hmmmmmm.?.?.?

Weekend blowouts are not a very sustainable mgmt practice of a precious resource. Wonder how Chairman Cuomo feels about this? Perhaps a water usage fee for boating companies will help NY meet their infrastructure needs.

This could get very interesting.

If they readjust the Montague formula, that is not good for the upper D. I don't doubt that any plan DRBC develops will be better management for the Lehigh over how it's been managed in the past...but....if it hurts another fishery that's already well established as a world class / destination, that's no bueno.

Again, I'll watch, speculate and participate when possible but am uneasy to say the least.

krayfish2 wrote:
If they readjust the Montague formula, that is not good for the upper D. I don't doubt that any plan DRBC develops will be better management for the Lehigh over how it's been managed in the past...but....if it hurts another fishery that's already well established as a world class / destination, that's no bueno.

Again, I'll watch, speculate and participate when possible but am uneasy to say the least.

+1 ^

And if the FEW reservoir is used to store water for New York City to tap into the Upper D reservoirs than the Lehigh flow itself may not be used to help the fishery. Follow the money, NYC surely expects to benefit in some way.

But lost in all this is the drinking water for Philadelphia and New Jersey. They certainly should have a say in how the flow is managed for their sole source of drinking water. New York City built the dams on the Delaware and now controls the spigot. They would also have a say in the control of the flow for the Lehigh along with the Delaware which flows through NJ and PA.

I can only guess where Governor Cuomo stands on the issue as head of the Delaware River Basin Committee. And remember, the Army Corps of Engineers is a Federal Organization. But the Lehigh River and FEW is in PA, yet it's fate may very well be determined outside of our State.

Like I said above in a post it's complicated and the cards for all the parties involved are not all on the table, but it looks like PA is holding a pair of deuces, King high though.... :roll:

Here is a very long and detailed explanation of the Lehigh River study and the possible effects on future flow management for the FEW Reservoir >

Friends of The Lehigh River

We Are: Friends of the Lehigh River.

Many very smart people have asked many smart questions in their desire to understand why New York City is a partner in a re-evaluation study at the FE Walter Dam.

The following paragraphs are brought to you so that you might gain that understanding.

Since this is going to be big news for the next few years, the following is the best information that we have at this time. It is a work in progress, and accurate to the best of our knowledge with the information we are allowed to find.

New York City is looking 100 or more years ahead and its future water supply. Are Pennsylvanians looking that far ahead.? No way. We think they should be.

In the future, Water is Gold. Make no mistake about it. This is a fight for water supply.

Please share this information, and encourage people to:
• write an email of support,
• sign the Petition on the Friends of the Lehigh River Facebook page,
• go to the meeting on January 9, 2020, held at the Mountain Laurel Resort, White Haven

#SaveTheLehigh

Here are some figures you’ll find interesting:

It’s a Million Dollar a Mile economy.

Using a 2014 Army Corps figure of $37,000,000 annual revenue from whitewater recreation/tourism, and dividing that by 32 miles (White Haven through Bowmanstown), our recreation economy nets $1.15 Million per Mile, each year, every year, for the past several decades. Hotels, motels, campgrounds, restaurants, diners, drinking establishments, rafting company revenue, fueling stations, local shopping, etc.

A Million Dollars a Mile.

· As far as we can determine, the FE Walter Dam cost $11-12 Million to construct, in 1960-61.

· NYC can buy up to 15% of the storage capacity by
a) paying the Army Corps/US Treasury 15% of the original project cost, adjusted for inflation, and

b) paying an annual maintenance fee for the extra water.

From 1960 to present US inflation was 768.9%. That means the initial $11Million cost of the dam would now cost $95,584,054.05. 15% of this figure is $14,337,608.00.

In addition to that, NYC would pay an operational maintenance fee of approximately $200,000 or more annually for that stored water.

The moral of the story is that any deal that gives NYC control of the Lehigh River’s water will bring far less revenue than the Lehigh Gorge region reaps each year in revenue from the existing downstream recreation economy.

· Pennsylvania derives a $37 Million annual benefit from whitewater recreation/tourism (using the 2014 figure, showing no growth, and NOT adjusted for inflation)
o $185 Million – 5-year benefit
o $370 Million – 10-year benefit
o $740 Million – 20-year benefit
o $1.1 Billion – 30 year benefit

Why on Earth is anyone considering trading this economic future for a deal with NYC? Here is the same breakout of a 30-year forward look if NYC is successful in gaining control of 15% capacity of the FE Walter Dam.

o $14 Million – Initial Purchase Year One
§ $250K Operational Storage Annually
o $15.25 Million – 5-year benefit
o $16.5 Million – 10-year benefit
o $19 Million – 20-year benefit
o $21.5 Million – 30-year benefit

So there is a huge difference in revenue - approximately $980 Million - between PA keeping this water in their control, or allowing NYC to buy our future state and regional revenue for $21.5 Million.

NOTE: None of the revenue from New York City’s acquisition comes to Pennsylvania. None. Every dollar, as far as we know, goes to the US Treasury through the Army Corps of Engineers.

Background

The players here are the Army Corps of Engineers, the Delaware River Basin Commission, and the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (specifically their Water Division).
This $3,000,000 FE Walter Dam Re-Evaluation Study is evenly split between the Army Corps ($1.5M) and the two non-federal sponsors in the DRBC ($25,000) and NYC DEP ($1.475M)
The Army Corps can (apparently) sell up to 15% of storage capacity without US Congressional approval.
The January 9th 2020 meeting is a scoping meeting, with interesting wording indicating lots of work has been done in advance of this meeting. Comments are requested by January 9th, in writing via postal mail, at an email address listed on this page below, they can be brought to the meeting, or they can be submitted to the Army Corps by January 29th.
The latest iteration of the Army Corps announcement page of this meeting is viewable here:
https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/…/Franci…/Reevaluation-Study/

The study should investigate many issues, uses, futures, economies, water quality, fishing, stream health, recreation, etc. for the water behind, and downstream of, the FE Walter Dam. The timeline for this study is in the above link as well. The Army Corps follows a government “tool kit” named the “Alternatives Milestone Meeting” that is listed for February 3rd, 2020.
Here is the link to the Army Corps page/flow chart for the likely approach to the decision-making for this Re-Evaluation Study:
https://planning.erdc.dren.mil/toolbox/smart.cfm…

Talking Points….

We have learned that approximately 20% of the water that leaves NYC water filtration plants is lost due to leakage before it reaches the taps and faucets of NYC residents and system users. Twenty Percent.

We have also learned that the cost estimate to repair NYC’s aged and leaking infrastructure is $20 Billion to $30 Billion.

New York City draws up to 50% of its drinking water from the Delaware Basin. Catskill creeks were deemed to be simply better water than the Hudson River streams which NYC had already used. The Hudson River is the obvious choice but it is too expensive to treat and transport through the system.

The three dams/reservoirs in question are all in New York State, all in the Catskill Mountains, and are named the Cannonsville Reservoir (near Hancock, NY, in Delaware County), the Pepacton Reservoir (12 miles from Delhi, NY, in Delaware County), and the Neversink Reservoir (near Neversink, NY, in Sullivan County). All three are on Delaware tributaries.
Cannonsville and Pepacton are fairly north, near the very northeast corner of PA, and the Neversink River comes into the Delaware River near Port Jervis, NY.
At this time, the Delaware River Basin Commission allows NYC to move as much as 800 Million Gallons of water a day from the Delaware Basin into their drinking water system.
There are two flow gauges, one at Montague, NJ (across from Dingman’s Falls just upstream of the Route 206 Bridge that crosses the Delaware), and one at Trenton, NJ. These two gauges are the “low-flow targets” of importance when the basin starts to enter low-flow or drought conditions. The Montague gauge (minimum low flow 1750 cubic feet per second) is located many miles upstream from the confluence of the Lehigh River and the Delaware River at Easton.
The Montague gauge will be unaffected directly by any Lehigh River releases. The Trenton Gauge (minimum low flow of 3000 cubic feet per second) is affected by Lehigh River flows in addition to the flows from the three NYC DEP-operated reservoirs.

As far as we know, NYC’s intention is to use the Lehigh River water to elevate the Trenton low-flow target when low Delaware River flows warrant.

Whenever NYC releases water from their Catskill dams for “conservation” or “low-flow” releases downstream, they are releasing water that they would rather send to the NYC system to be used as city water supply.

If NYC is successful in this bid we believe they are going to make, owning the Lehigh River water would allow them to reduce the drinking water they release from these three reservoirs.

In our opinion, if NYC is allowed to purchase 15% of the storage capacity of the FE Walter Dam, it is the beginning of the end of the Flow Management Plan/Water Release Plan as we know it.

In the current Flow Management Plan, the Army Corps collects water starting on or about April 1, when the pool level is at its winter pool elevation of 1300 feet above sea level. The objective each year, the first week of May, is a pool elevation of 1370 feet above sea level. At elevation 1370, this represents 18% of the flood control capacity of the dam.
NYC’s acquisition of 15% of storage capacity for their needs leaves just 3% of the capacity for the fisheries/downstream recreation releases.

We don’t see any scenario where the Army Corps would allow for storage above the elevation 1370/18% capacity. Its major reason for existence is flood control.

We do not see any way the current Flow Management Plan survives if NYC is successful. The water release program that hundreds of thousands of people have enjoyed – millions over the years – will no longer exist. It can’t.

The US Army Corps of Engineers, in an online document dated July 8, 2014 (https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/…/francis-e-walter-dam-re-e…/) concerning whitewater recreation, states that “annual operating plans are developed each year based on storage availability which currently support an estimated $37,000,000/year tourism industry.” This aforementioned operating plan is the FE Walter Flow Management Plan, a well-honed, well-conceived, balanced plan, thoughtfully executed by the Army Corps.

The sections of the Lehigh River that are enjoyed by whitewater recreation tourists, from White Haven to Bowmanstown, are approximately 32 miles of river. Using the Army Corps’ published figure of the $37,000,000/year tourism industry, this makes for an annual figure of $1.15 Million per Mile for River Tourism.
Thousands of private kayakers, canoeists, rafters, tubers, and stand-up paddleboarders enjoy the Lehigh River every year. Many kayak and canoe clubs use the Lehigh River as the classroom in which hundreds of people learn safe boating skills every year.
The professional river outfitters would not be in business if it weren’t for the 150,000 or more people who look to them to provide the guiding and equipment necessary for their river recreation in the Poconos each year.

The rafting outfitters employ about 1300-1400 people, part- and full-time, and mostly seasonally.

If the Flow Management Plan allowing for downstream recreation ends because of NYC’s purchase of 15% of the capacity at FE Walter, the Flow Management Plan as we know it collapses. This $37,000,000 a year economy shrinks by 50-80%. The question will be: how will Pennsylvania make up for this lost tax revenue?

The Whitewater Recreation Economy created on the Lehigh River by the existing Flow Management Plan provides real jobs. Real jobs, for real people, people who pay real taxes, and create real revenue spent by people choosing Pennsylvania as their outdoor recreation destination.

You’re already a friend of the Lehigh River. Like our Facebook Page,
Friends of the Lehigh River
Stay aware, keep listening, become informed. Secure our future.

Don’t let this happen.

Link to source > https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=117650673072347&id=109318403905574&__tn__=K-R

How come NY isnt looking into getting their water from the Hudson river? If they are truly looking into future that would be the way to go, its right there. Is it too polluted?

**** I didnt read the big post above first. There are no figures to support that its "too expensive" to get water from the Hudson. So, they can say that but I dont believe it without evidence

Its alarming that there is no representation for the fisherman. That post makes it seem like the whitewater brings in all the money (i dont believe their figures either) and basically hardly even mentions the fishery. That is very worrisome

https://www.thelehighriver.org/re-evaluation-study

Lehigh Coldwater Fishery Alliance seems to be the only organization that has the fishermans interests represented. I should have joined this organization long ago and have not but my check will darn sure be in the mail to them on Monday morning.

Timmy and ALL

The LCFA, LRSA and PA TU have prepared position papers on this issue and will be well represented at the Meeting on the 9th.

Here is a link to our position paper

https://4cd6a03f-124f-4971-bb99-9026d71b2582.filesusr.com/ugd/6e7004_cd1937641b72407ab2ab246861827b6f.pdf

That said the Friends of the Lehigh is a rafting/kayaker FB page. They are pushing their propoganda which most of their statements are not even known yet.

For example, they are saying the Flow Plans are in jeopardy. NOT TRUE. There is no information even leading up to that statement. In fact the Study will examine Congressional ReAuthorization which would allow for additional uses at FEW and this would preserve the Flow Plans. I agree that the FLow Plans can't be lost and must be used as a baseline.

There is a lot of speculation being thrown around and no one will know until the 9th. I suggest if you are interested in learning about this process to attend and be vocal about your position.

There is a lot at stake, both good and bad. The fishery has the most to gain. The WW Rafters are scared their livelihood will be lost, rightfully so. If done right, all interests and stakeholders can have their piece of the pie.

Back