Never again?

My step dad, during one of his hunting trips, jumped a small stream of water and sprained his ankle. So he decided to go back to his car. As he crossed over the same stream of water he sprained his other ankle. He ended up crawling out of the woods with full hunting gear with him.

On one excursion that my real dad was on, one of his hunting buddies did not come back alive. The police came to our house several times questioning my father. My dad never went hunting again after that.

I also get more cautious when I think about what remote assistance would involve... like others, I fish in remote carbon county, and a google search of " lehigh gorge rescue" "glen onoko rescue" etc gives the idea that the safety professionals there have had enough to deal without w/o me.

If the OP stream is one you might access where it joins a river, by a powerline, or a sgl road passing food plots... First time I went there, parked in SGL lot above a hairpinish steam turn further Upstream. Thought I would walk down there, not far! Bizarrely enough, as I was putting on my waders, a guy pulled up and said maybe you don't walk want to walk down into that ravine from here, mentioning rocks snakes rhododendron... I did make it, but I think that's when I started studying topo maps. Still the only one stream I ran into a coyote, a bear with cubs, and a rattlesnake ...on different days at least.

I always go alone. I can't stand to hear the sound of someone else yakking on (often about non fishing stuff) while I intently focus on my nymphing game and running up the days numbers.

It's hard to spend the day on the river, or in a boat, with someone who have never really fished with for more than an hour or two. Patience isn't one of my virtues and I'd rather tell a new friend it's not working out and either end the wading trip or just try to get the boat to the take-out sooner than later.

I know of a guide who has become so frustrated with clients that he tells them the trip is over and just rows out. If I was a guide before we really set out on the float I would ask the client to show me their casting prowess. If a sport couldn't hit a hula hoop at 20' then it would likely be a day of him staring at a bobber and me yelling "STRIKE" as I so often hear on the Missouri.

Swattie87 wrote:
There are plenty of places in PA where when fishing I don’t like to let my fishing partner out of my sight. And vice versa…I don’t want them to let me out of their sight. Steep terrain, slippery boulders, tannic water, waterfalls, being miles from a car or road or another human, are all part of the deal here. Cell phone service is a prayer at best. Walkie talkies are good in theory, but IMO tend to work poorly in these scenarios. Too much terrain interference. Staying within earshot isn’t good enough either as often these steep streams make a lot of noise. Again, I generally want to stay within eyesight of my partner in these scenarios. I WILL NOT fish these places alone. Period. To do so, or insinuate that others should without putting some serious thought and reflection into the risks first, is imprudent at best.

If it’s someone I’ve fished with a lot, and am comfortable with, I’m ok with straying a little bit beyond eyesight, but only in one direction. I need to know if they’re upstream or downstream of me at all times, and vice versa. If you pass your buddy, you always make sure he knows you passed him. Don’t assume he heard or saw you. Make sure. The worst feeling is not knowing if your buddy is upstream or downstream of you, and if something happened, and if you’re even walking in the right direction. I’ve been in panic mode a couple times when this happened. It’s scary.

I know the types of places wt2 fishes…I fish a lot of the same places. I probably can even place a good guess or two on where specifically they were from the context clues. I don’t want or intend to be critical of wt2 or his buddy. Bottom line, you need to be comfortable with who you’re getting into these types situations with. If you’re not, you shouldn’t be doing it, for both of your sakes.

poopdeck – You have no clue what you’re talking about. Nothing new for you.

It never takes long for the pompousness to come out. I'm sorry a different opinion is offensive to you and your clique. This seems to be a common trait among the elitist who like to establish fishing hierarchies and put themselves at the top.

When I go fishing with someone it's a partnership. Because somebody else recommended a spot does not make him my keeper nor would they be so full of themselves that they would assume that role. I find it unbelievable that some take exception to this.

poopdeck wrote:
It never takes long for the pompousness to come out. I'm sorry a different opinion is offensive to you and your clique. This seems to be a common trait among the elitist who like to establish fishing hierarchies and put themselves at the top.

When I go fishing with someone it's a partnership. Because somebody else recommended a spot does not make him my keeper nor would they be so full of themselves that they would assume that role. I find it unbelievable that some take exception to this.

^ We actually agree on nearly all of that. I took exception to your comment about there not being places in PA where the safety of your fishing partner was a legitimate concern. I believed (and still do) that was a cavalier and uninformed statement to make, and reasoned with evidence to support my position.

wildtrout2 wrote:
tomgamber wrote:
afishinado wrote:

As I wrote in my post on the first page, the definition of "selfish" should be applied to the guest of WT. He was invited to share a fishing spot, and he should have respected his host. HE was "lacking consideration for others". After all that WT did for him would it be too much to ask that he stay close and not wander about away from the stream and have WT have to leave the stream and look for him?

I think that's that's being fair...

If he knew any better. I wasn't saying WT was alone in his lack of consideration. But I don't see the other guy publicly calling him out.
If you "read" my post you would be aware that he knew better, because he was advised against leaving the stream (as was mentioned) and did so anyway. Him calling me out publicly (doesn't do social media) has nothing to do with your poor assessment of what took place. Nice try.

You do have a point. However, I try to look at things from all angles.

I stayed out of this for the most part, because I don't know the stream, but ...

Normally... If something like this happened to me and the other guy was experienced as you say he was, I would have thought absolutely nothing of it.

I have no issue looking after a newbee, but wouldn't feel I needed to babysit an experienced angler. More importantly, I wouldn't want anyone thinking they have to babysit me on a trout stream.

And yet, I know a few places where I wouldn't fish (at my age) without a fishing partner so we can look out for each other. I would have made that clear before we started out, as you did. So I also see your point.

poopdeck wrote:

Hey poop, with all due respect, where you stuck your foot in your mouth was when you said "I defy anybody to show me a stream in Pa where it's remoteness is so dangerous it demands constant worry". It certainly wasn't "constant worry", but that's just a ridiculous statement. As I mentioned, there are plenty of streams in Pa that fit the description of being remote and/or dangerous. You need to get around more.
You opinion is welcome, but this thread has nothing to do with elitists, cliques, or hierarchies. You're trying to twist things around and defocus.

Wildtrout2, Some men like to cover their tracks by walking backward. In this way they can not be followed, fool the dogs and trackers. Some men set a blaze of glory, wanting to be caught!

On post #1, you were caught! A buddy, would not like to be an enemy, for how you treat buddies! You are on the hook and the hook will not come out! I would think by now, you would have a sore mouth!

You will fish alone for a very long time, get use to it. The one's that think your right will be fishing alone also, in good time! Seems your stubbornness will follow you through your life. In your mind a apology is never a thought! Keep grabbing the air and try to make 1 ounce! Sad, that a grown man has no compassion for those less qualified! Remote wilderness you say, how lucky you were to find someone to go remote! Some day will come when the remote, is in your hand!

Maxima12

Maxipad,

I find your writings (the ones I understand) brilliant...You're words are not just to the point. There are always underlying hints or connotations.

If weed was legal in PA, I would blaze to your words!

I think knowing what you need from fishing that day is important. If i know i need space, I go alone. If I know that someone needs the joy of fishing more than I need the space, I invite them. The joy and peace that comes with being on the water is meant to be shared, but understand when you might need space more than companionship.

Troutpout, Brilliant!

Maxima12

maxima12 wrote:
Wildtrout2, Some men like to cover their tracks by walking backward. In this way they can not be followed, fool the dogs and trackers.

Maxima12

For the record, this does not fool the dogs. And you call yourself an outdoorsman. (joking of course).

I fish with guys all the time that can be a a lot of work. But I know that going in. It's not always about the fishing.

Back