Need a new Pa small mountain stream brookie rod

I will agree with you for sure there. I used my 7'3 2WT last night and had no problems besides getting hung up in trees from time to time lol

people here will tell you that you cant actually cast a 6'9" rod, except I can do it, which means anyone can do it.

Anyone who would say that has either never tried it, or can't cast (or fishes with people that can't cast).

My 6'9" is one of my favorite rods to cast.

"I will agree with you for sure there. I used my 7'3 2WT last night and had no problems besides getting hung up in trees from time to time lol"

right I find the 6'9" to be better to cast in tight quarters than a 7'3". sign you are pushing the edges of open space, and a good thing I guess. but if I take a 6 footer, in that occsiaonal open space on a tiny stream, I'd want the 6'9".

"My 6'9" is one of my favorite rods to cast."

that's the beauty of the 6'9" tfo: casts like a longer rod. overlines well, so you can have a rod that is happy on shorts casts while not using a line heavier than a 3w. in low water summer conditions, I'd rather spook fewer fish with a 3w than a 5w line.. but when you get some open space you can make a longer cast.

in general, if you are making 20' fisherman-to-target casts, and allow for a dozen feet of rod and leader, you aren't tossing a lot of fly line. overlining makes sense on little mountain streams have short pools. (fun but very long reading below: steep PA streams have shorter pools, more pools, and higher brook trout density)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mason+psu+trout

Regarding length, I always say "as long as you can get away with, but not longer".

Length definitely helps with casting provided you have the space. But you need more space.

So generally, as the stream gets smaller and thicker, the ideal rod becomes shorter (and stiffer). Unless it's so dang thick that actual casting is totally impossible. Ironically, a longer rod is then better, as you are relegated to bow and arrow casts only, and longer rods are DEFINITELY better at this.

My general rule of thumb with a decent progressive taper is that you can bow cast 2x the rod length of fly line off the tip, then the leader on top of that. So, with a 7 ft rod:

7 ft rod + 14 ft fly line + about 7 ft leader. You can get it out there between 25 and 30 ft, accurately, with a very tight loop, from any position, even "lifting" it over obstructions or squatting underneath them, with no backcast. All else being equal, an extra foot of rod length adds about 3 ft of total distance. A hassle, but very effective in the thick crap.

pat I agree 100% but don't really like bow and arrow so I just make sidearm casts, catch fish, and lose flies :)

I think this is the link. that looks cool but maybe it would be tiring :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0fES1sfBRE

"Anyone who would say that has either never tried it, or can't cast (or fishes with people that can't cast)."

on your first point, a lack of experience is not always a barrier to online expression :)

forget to say to forget about yard casting to set up a rod for truly small streams. 20' looks like nothing without 3D obstructions.

Why even use a rod?
This should get in tighter spots.

Very impressive that he can do that. Demonstrates a lot of knowledge about the physics of casting. But no, it would not be good in tight spots. I wanna see him get it that far without a backcast. :)

forget to say to forget about yard casting to set up a rod for truly small streams. 20' looks like nothing without 3D obstructions.

Very good point. Do your yard casting in the bushes. Makes ya look even crazier to the neighbors!

"I wanna see him get it that far without a backcast. :)"

not me, think I'd freak if I saw that guy in the middle of nowhere :)

looking back to the OP, I have also had the 6' 2w hardy. fun because it is sooo light, but 2pc when 4pc is better, probably below best length, and really expensive. Id rather use the 4 pc 6'9" tfo, and its half the price.

expensive 2pc rod + brookie fishing = trouble waiting to happen. not a guess on that point. :)

would add to stealth, and fishing is supposed to be fun. maybe next time I break a fly rod out there.

reel that goes well with many rods mentioned in original post:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Forbes-Magnesium-Reel-2-5in-WF4F-ULTRALITE-WEIGHT-Only-2-2-Ounces-/291166292792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cadd0b38

expensive 2pc rod + brookie fishing = trouble waiting to happen. not a guess on that point

Because a broken 4pc is less broken than a 2pc in the same situation?

The length has more to do with it than the pieces.

can hike in & out with rods broken down so 4 PC is less likely to be broken than 2 pc

Ahhh, gotcha. I always assemble and rig up at the car, so it would make no difference in my case. Hadn't even considered that alternative.

Back