Need a new Pa small mountain stream brookie rod

very good point. im sure that's the case for most normal fisherman. i am not normal. ive been wired to use light my whole life. id like to think I can cast in tight quarters with my light tackle just as well as using a 4wt of mine. But I've also been using light stuff for over 15 years so I'm bound to get reasonably good at it from time to time.

ill use a 3wt when on Kettle Creek or the Loyalsock but that's about it. Pine Creek gets a 5wt, and its uncomfortable for me. im sure its the longer presentations, the heavier line and monotonous cast after cast situations like on Pine. People think im crazy.. they are likely right.

And you show me a wild/brookie chaser that doesn't end up in trees, logs, hemlock, ect. from time to time and ill show you someone who is a great story teller.

For really small stream, tight quarters work, I use either an Orvis Small Stream Special (7' 5 wgt.) from the old Superfine series or my old FF605 Fenwick glass. In today's faster-is-better fly rod world, this may make me a stuck-in-1978 dinosaur and an ignoramus. If so, I guarantee you you've never met an ignorant dinosaur more pleased with his choices...:)

I once owned a T&T Paralite (won it at a banquet) 7' for a 3 wgt. I tried to fish with it, I really did. But in the end, I decided that its only real value was in balancing it on my finger and demonstrating how easily I could tip it one way or the other with only the most gentle puff of air from between pursed lips.

Suum cuique...

Woah. Never seen anything like that before. Pardon my lack of determining Internet sarcasm but are you serious Brad?

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
Woah. Never seen anything like that before. Pardon my lack of determining Internet sarcasm but are you serious Brad?

Yes, I'm serious. I casted one in the mid 90's. They do work.

Back when I was building rods for a living I used to use a 5' 1pc fiberglass blank made by Seeker. It wasn't a slow blank. It had some power in the butt. It was designed to be an ultralight spinning blank. A 4wt DT worked great. The blanks sold for around $6.00. It was right at the time when PACBAY discontinued their double slide band reel seats that I was able to buy for $3.00.
Sold the rods for $99.00.

that's pretty neat ive never seen one before. the smallest I have to offer is a 7 piece 7' 2wt. I haven't built one yet but I have the blank laying on my desk.. I had a friend cut me a piece of lightweight aluminum pipe 13" so the rod fits inside. im sure it won't be good for much.. more of a "convienence" than anything

I would add Blue Halo 3wt. to the list. They are a small glass rod company that really cares about their customers. I recently had possibly the best customer service experience of my life with them. The rods seem to be the best of all worlds. They have enough backbone to get the fly where you want it even when using any number of creative, brookie stream, casts. They are so supple that you can feel EVERYTHING, and the full flex makes playing even tiny fish exciting. I would highly recommend trying one out. If you have never cast one, you will be shocked at the speed these rods generate while flexing down to your hand.

My other suggestion would be to check out the rod loan program at the fiberglass manifesto. I have never done it, but it seems like a good idea if you are looking for a glass rod. The Blue Halo is on the list of available rods. Good luck.

And you show me a wild/brookie chaser that doesn't end up in trees, logs, hemlock, ect. from time to time and ill show you someone who is a great story teller.

I've started a few guys into this kind of fishing. They get frustrated and say they're in the trees all the time, and want promised that it'll get better as they get better. My standard response is that, as you improve, you don't spend less time in trees, but you do get into trees while trying to do harder things.

If you don't, that means you aren't pushing yourself to get better.

And soft actions and light line weights are at a disadvantage there.

Soft actions, I'm in total agreement...but in my brookie fishing experience, with the right line, you can do anything with a 1 or 2wt that you can with a 3 or 4wt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a 3 or 4 is too much, just that the 0, 1, and 2wts are not at all a disadvantage...again, given the proper line.

I own the 2# 7'3" tfo finesse. I bought it as a blank for around $80 and put another $50 in components to build it which is cheaper than buying it completed. It's a nice brookie rod if you are looking for that light, moderate action feel.

What is so wrong with what I want to do? Some of you guys act like it's your money buying my rod. Fishing for small brook trout in the mountains is what I love to do. You should be happy that I'm out doing what I love and supporting our sport. This is the very reason I stick to the mountains so I don't have to deal with every know it alls b.s. I posted this because I wanted so positive knowledgable feedback on rods that people have experience with. I don't care that you think that it's wrong. I simply would like to know if you have fished rods similar to this and what you think. Please stay on subject that's all I'm asking please.

yep, welcome to PAFF, all sorts of 'experts' on here, dontchyaknow...well, you do now if not before. ;-)

Personally, I'd rather fish with a fly rod and not a pool cue, so get yerself a decent little cane rod, 6-6 1/2' rated for a 3wt. I've never felt that I had to 'acknowledge the shortcomings of my gear choice' to have a fine day on the stream, and all I use to fish for the trouts regardless of setting are those soft outdated sticks of bamboo...go figure.

I have no clue about any of those rods you listed, other than to say it always helps to line one up before ringing the cash register...regardless of what folks have to say about them.

I don't see how someone cannot put a fly in a tight space the same with a light rod or a heavy setup on small streams. its all the same motion in the cast. I throw 2 wts to 5 wts in the same rod sizes and see no difference.

I like the op's outlook.

Like Tomi said, welcome to forums. You have those that know everything, those that ask for trouble and then cry "foul" when they get their wish, the ones that can only recite what they've read in a book, and those that walk the walk and stay quiet.

As per your request, I'll stay on topic. I use a 6'3" 3wt TXL for all my brookie fishing. Like sandfly pointed out, I have no issues casting into tight spots. The rod is great for dry flies. The only downside to the rod is it's hard to fish streamers with (it's hard for me to hook the fish and keep them hooked).

Thank you guys for your great replies. I appreciate your knowledge. This rod will only be used for small streams with small dry flies. Occasionally a small bugger or green weenie. I love catching 6-8 brookies it's so much fun how aggressive they are when they hit your dry flies. I went out today to one of my favorite streams today in perry county and caught about 30 brookies and had a blast. I was using my 7' 3 weight and it did very good but there were a few instances where a 6' rod could have got me a few more fish. As for the 2 weight I just wanna go lighter to enjoy the thrill of the fight a little more. I would love to share pics but I don't think I can from my phone. If any one knows how I can please let me know. Thanks for reading.

IneFishent wrote:
I own the 2# 7'3" tfo finesse. I bought it as a blank for around $80 and put another $50 in components to build it which is cheaper than buying it completed. It's a nice brookie rod if you are looking for that light, moderate action feel.

I have the exact same blank I did a build on.. I used it tonight on a class A and landed 2 wild browns over 14 inches.. fantastic rod

I have owned many of these and used them for tiny stream PA brookies with dry flies ... including the 6' imperial, 6'3" txl, 7' elkhorn, 7'3" echo and 7'3" tfo. also the 6'9" tfo 1w which is basically a 2w. simply on casting, I think the echo is super accurate and forgiving, but I think that going shorter than 7'3" is better on tiny streams. however, I find rods less than 6'6" to be less effective and fun casters when the stream opens up little bit and you want a longer cast. that leaves the elkhorn and 6'9" tfo. I think the tfo casts as well and its shorter, so of all these rods the best IMHO is the 6'9" tfo and you could just try it with the 3w line you already own.

I have a lot of experience fishing these two weights on tiny mountain streams with dry flies and they work great and are fun .... I usually fish them with 3w lines, not sure if I even own a 2w line.

just a guess on my part, but I think that part of the reason these rods are more fun for small stream Brook Trout is because of the light physical weight of your gear. for ex., I fish the tfo with a Forbes magnesium reel (eBay) the total rod reel line package weighs 5 oz. I bring fish in just as fast, but catching small fish on physically light gear may just be more fun.

Will I get the same feel of the fight with a 3 weight line on a 2 weight rod as 2 weight line? The upside of it would be a little better control of cast and drag?

"Will I get the same feel of the fight with a 3 weight line on a 2 weight rod as 2 weight line?"

yes, just the same. that feel is because of 1) rod made to work with light weight line, and 2) the light physical weight of the gear. going to 3w line adds almost zero physical weight.

"The upside of it would be a little better control of cast and drag?"

benefit of overlining is in having rod work on supershort casts...take it lefty :):

"Heavier line is often necessary

There are situations where using a line heavier than the rod calls for will also aid in casting and catching fish, such as when fishing small streams for trout. Where pools are short and casts are restricted in distance, a heavier line can be just the right answer. For example, on many brook trout streams, the pool may be only 10 or 15 feet long and you are forced to use a leader that is at least 7-1/2 feet long. That means that only a few feet of your fly line — the weight that loads or flexes the rod — is outside the rod tip. When fishing where distance is very short and only a few feet of fly line are outside the rod tip, it is important to switch to a line that is heavier."

source:
http://www.scientificanglers.com/plan-your-trip/fly-fishing-tips/how-choose-right-fly-line-weight-lefty-kreh

btw forgot to menion that the 6' imperial is a 2pc rod, and I'd want a 4pc to take down and hike... the 6'3" sage is expensive and may no longer be available. finally, people here will tell you that you cant actually cast a 6'9" tfo rod, except I can do it, which means anyone can do it.

Back