Name this fly

Chetty82

Chetty82

I have no idea what this fly is. I bought it a long time ago cause I thought it was cool cause it is about 1/4 inch overall in length. Can someone help me out and name this fly for me?

Parachute sulpher. Change the colour of the materials, and it becomes something else. It seems like many flies are just variations of a few primary patterns:

Catskill-style flies will wrap the hackle around the hook to form a collar, and usually have hackle tips to represent wings.

Parachute-style flies form a post off the shank with hair, antron, or something similar and then wrap the hackle around the post.

Comparaduns will form the wing by fanning deer hair over the sides and top of the hook.

Wulff-style flies are closer to Catskill flies, but are really heavily hackled and usually use hair in two tufts to form the wings.

Sulhpur or Olive "hackle looped" or "para loop" flies. Something like that.

gfen wrote:
Parachute sulpher. Change the colour of the materials, and it becomes something else. It seems like many flies are just variations of a few primary patterns:

Catskill-style flies will wrap the hackle around the hook to form a collar, and usually have hackle tips to represent wings.

Parachute-style flies form a post off the shank with hair, antron, or something similar and then wrap the hackle around the post.

Comparaduns will form the wing by fanning deer hair over the sides and top of the hook.

Wulff-style flies are closer to Catskill flies, but are really heavily hackled and usually use hair in two tufts to form the wings.

thats a great bit of simple. accessible advice for the beginner fly tyer/fisherman

gfen, I aggree, that was a pretty good run down.

Quigley's Hackle Stacker?

Good guess and you are right I googled it and it was the quigleys hackle stacker. Thank you

i thought sulphurs were orange ish not olive?

flipnfly wrote:
i thought sulphurs were orange ish not olive?

Most are more of a yellow color, some with an orange cast, some with an orange/olive cast to them. There are many flies out there that are under the "sulphur" category. Always carry different shades and sizes to match what's coming off. It's a lenthy hatch, but that can cause the fish to be finicky in picking the right bugs off the water.

Ryan

This would also go back to PFF Home page and read up on Sulphers. There are some other good articles there too.

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=63

thanks for clearing that up

To make things more confusing, they can also change colors when they molt from dun to spinner.

So sulphers = many different mayfly species. And each mayfly species can be several different colors.

For instance, some of the sulfurs I fish a lot are real yellow as duns, and have an orangish yellow tint as spinners. Green Drakes are pretty darned green as duns, and basically white as spinners.

gfen's run down is pretty darned good for imitations, I'd add spent wing spinner to the list though. Even cut wing thorax patterns, though thats often just sparse catskill tie with fancier wings.

For naturals:

Yellow or orange - size 14-16 = sulphur.
Olive - size 16-20 = BWO
"insert body color" caddis - size 14-22.
black or black and white - size 26 = trico
We get a little more specific with big flies because there's not as many, example March brown, Green Drake, Brown Drake, White Fly, etc.

Back