My Problem of Hooking Trout

Stag your trouble with hooking trout has more to do with all the line on the water. Those huge 'S' curves on the water don't allow you to set the hook, by the time the line is straight enough to set the hook the trout is long gone.

Stag your trouble with hooking trout has more to do with all the line on the water. Those huge 'S' curves on the water don't allow you to set the hook, by the time the line is straight enough to set the hook the trout is long gone.

So I 'shoot' to much line and should strip and mend (if necessary) once I present?

Stagger - While I didn't get to work with you on casting at the Fish & Chips, I have seen your cast at other gatherings.

When I saw you at F&C, D-dawg was trying to correct your casting stroke, and doing a good job of it, so I just moved on.

This video will show you the basics. Pushing your hand forward at the end of the cast isn't the answer. I also doubt that you're actually "shooting line", and that shouldn't concern you until well after you get the basic casting stroke down pat.

Follow along with the video - you can use the butt section of your rod (no line or reel) indoors to help get the feel of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyThAv-WPSg

You're getting ahead of yourself. The slack in your line/leader is caused by not properly executing the forward cast. If you cast correctly, the line and leader will be straight out in front of you. While this isn't always prefereable to obtaining a drag free drift, it's something you need to master before worrying about introducing slack intentionally to your line.

Stagger - While I didn't get to work with you on casting at the Fish & Chips, I have seen your cast at other gatherings.

When I saw you at F&C, D-dawg was trying to correct your casting stroke, and doing a good job of it, so I just moved on.

This video will show you the basics. Pushing your hand forward at the end of the cast isn't the answer. I also doubt that you're actually "shooting line", and that shouldn't concern you until well after you get the basic casting stroke down pat.
Its weird, I saw a show with Nick Price fly fishing for bonefish some time ago and when I start loosing it I try to follow his technique. Who knows if casting for bonefish in the flats is different but that is what is in my head sometimes. Shame on me b/ I should probably only think of Price when I loose it on the golf course! :)

Follow along with the video - you can use the butt section of your rod (no line or reel) indoors to help get the feel of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyThAv-WPSg

You're getting ahead of yourself. The slack in your line/leader is caused by not properly executing the forward cast. If you cast correctly, the line and leader will be straight out in front of you. While this isn't always prefereable to obtaining a drag free drift, it's something you need to master before worrying about introducing slack intentionally to your line.
Agree with you. I think if I can get my casting technique up to par my presentation will be better and then I can start worrying about the other issues. I have to practice lowering my arm at the end and build in some muscle memory. When she drops her arm I seem to be ‘throwing’ it out there (not sure if you guys know what I mean by that). Going to practice in my yard if I get some time this week

Thanks for the link .. goes into my new 'Joseywales' bookmark section of my web browser

Back