My brown trout stalking

mute

mute

www.pafishing.net/forum/gallery/data/stony.summer.brown.mov

Big fish still holding it together over the drought and heat.

threw a few nymphs and a olive bugger at him for about 30mins but got nothing.

wow nice looking fish, both in the pictures and the video! thanks for posting and sharing!

Not a problem, love sharing. Im going to throw every pattern i got at him tomorrow.

looks like a call for zebra midge!

Seriously though... he was pumping hard. how were the temps?

JayL funny thing you said that i actually did try a zebra midge, green black beadhead. about size 20. But i really didint fish him hard. only about 20 casts each fly. The temps were msot likely in the 70's. It was 85 out. He is a holdover since day 1 of the stocking in march.

hmm. That's about what I would've tried....

Some days they just won't eat...

Perhaps wait for him to swim to his deeper holds and swing a crayfish?

good luck!

If the water temps are in the 70's he may be so stressed he won't expend the energy to feed. And if you do hook and play him, he probably won't survive.

Try fishing early in the AM, when the stream temps are cooler. The water will have more dissolved oxygen and the fish you release will have a better chance of recovery. Carry a thermometer though, and keep checking the water temps. As they get above 65, consider quitting until the next time you can get out good 'n early.

The experienced old hands in the mid-state area have a long-standing rule about summer fishing. Don't fish for trout if the water is over 70. I defer to the very experienced old heads on this one. I think they are right and that it's a good rule. Trout get too stressed when the water is over 70. They're just trying to survive.

A white streamer or foxee minnow first thing in the morning or at last light would probably take that bad boy, as long as the temps were good, that is.

beeber

That fish is really stressed with heat, I wonder why he wasn't in the shade? Hope he survives and a predator doesn't get him.

I've taken to carrying a stream thermometer with me over the past year and have only seen stockers behave like that and only when the water gets warm (above 65). The fact that he's hanging out in the open like that must mean that there are very few places that have an acceptable combination of slow current and acceptable DO......at least thats what I gather. Look how hard he is puffing. Although I see plenty of fish in those conditions, they are never in the mood to feed, and I prefer not to fish those conditions. Perhaps the strange behavior indicates brain damage. Premorbid. If you did catch him, I'd keep him. With it being early July, chances are about zero he will survice through the summer.

Very nice video, that fish is a pig.

Back