Musky flies

Fredrick

Fredrick

I might be going on a guided Musky trip on Marsh creek lake but the guide only uses gear . I was wondering if you guys can send me some pics of PROVEN Musky flies for SE PA so I can get tying for the trip .

Thxs Fred

Proven on Lower Delaware and Noximixon Lake;

Attachments

• pike flys 010.jpg
    pike flys 010.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 5
  • pike flys 014.jpg
    pike flys 014.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 5
Thxs Sandfly what size hook are they ?

2/0 saltwater so I can stick it to em...

Fredrick wrote:
I might be going on a guided Musky trip on Marsh creek lake but the guide only uses gear . I was wondering if you guys can send me some pics of PROVEN Musky flies for SE PA so I can get tying for the trip .

Thxs Fred

It ain't the flies, Grasshopper....it's the fisherman (in that case, good choice to get a guide) :p

LOL...here are some ideas:

First of all, book for fishing now. The muskies are in the shallows (inches of water) of Marsh Creek. When the water warms and they go deeper, that are hard to target with a fly rod.

Sandy's flies are winners. I suggest some tied in bright colors and muted/natural colors. Try using some Enrico Pilisi type materials for the illusion of bulk, without the bulk. Also tie some with weedguards.

Tie some good sized pencil poppers for on top to make some noise. Also maybe some big Gartside Gurglers for the surface but without too much disturbance. One fish will tear it up, but it's worth it.

Use a wire leader like you do for blues.

Good luck. Post a report.

i don't fish SE PA
and these aren't "PROVEN"... they were tied this winter
but they are adaptation of patterns that have taken fish for me

93d94c59.jpg

8e18942a.jpg

Ramcatt wrote:
i don't fish SE PA
and these aren't "PROVEN"... they were tied this winter
but they are adaptation of patterns that have taken fish for me

93d94c59.jpg

8e18942a.jpg

Nice! I like the red. Red is dedly.

I've bin tying notbing but for pike and musky lately. And my weapon of choice is bucktail. Nothing glides throught the water like it. Here is some of latest ones.

A tandem Hangtime 6/0 mustad and a 3/0 trailer hook
DSC05464.jpg

My Sponge Bob Square Head tandem 6/0 front hooked cliped.
DSC05465.jpg

And another Hangtime a Triple a 6/0, 3/0 and 1/0 hooks. It's about 9 inches long.
DSC05463.jpg

Big fish big fly!

Nice looking flies PAF....but how the heck to you manage to cast those bad boys?!?

A 10wt, double hauling and as few as back casts as you can get away with. The bucktail sheds a lotta water on the backcast. I was out with a buddy and we were fishing for 5 hrs and yes our arm hurts.

Also a little warning watch yourself these arnt your size 10 buggers your bringing over your shoulder, They will put a wuppin' on ya if they happen to hit ya. I know the 1st outting I got hit in the thumb nail with a 1/10 oz dumbell eye. But if it was easy and safe everyone would be doing it.

All I have to say i will be carefull
0530081335.jpg

Fredrick,
I tie all my musky flies with a tandem hook set-up. Having done a fair amount of muskie fishing with gear over the years - usually "burning bucktails" in MN - I discovered that many if not most of the hits I got from muskies were often nips at the end of the spinner/plug. This was especially true when the fish was following the bait high in the water column....which is often how you'll hook 'em - they'll follow the bait fly with their nose right on it or inches from it, then suddenly seize the back of the lure right at boatside and make an 90 degree turn downward. My bucktail spinners are made with tandem trebles and I almost always got the musky on the rear hook. Based on this experience, I like a beefy hook in the back one third of the fly secured with a solid joint to the forward hook. Long streamer flies with the hook way up front are fine for stripers but I like a stinger for muskies. They're too darn hard to get a strike - you want to make sure you hook him when Mr Musky finally bites you.
Also, consider that you'll be fishing shallow water on Marsh Creek probably in the vicinity of woody debris and emergent vegetation. You'll want your flies to ride hook upward so as to avoid some of these snags. Musky flies are a blast to tie but they take a lot of time and materials and I cringe when I break one off on a snag. Do yourself a favor and tie 'em "clouser" style and weed guards wouldn't hurt. For hooks, I just go to a local tackle store and get a pack of heavy duty plastic worm hooks. These make a good forward hook.
Here's some pics of flies of the type I like for muskies. Don't go too overboard on size. The conventional wisdom among muskie guys is to use smaller baits in springtime - I'd say 5-7" would be what I'd put together. Good luck on your trip - let us know how you made out.

Attachments

• Bead Strmr.jpg
    Bead Strmr.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Bead Strmr2.jpg
    Bead Strmr2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 4
I would say the top factors you need to getting em interested is. The fly size to get fishs attention weither it be a food or a territorial trigger. Next would be action built into the fly and your retrieve. Lastly to me would be color, I wouldnt get carried away with macthing the hatch. When have you seen a fire tiger sucker in nature. Remeber they show there selves when you least expect it, so stay on the clock.

for me...

- most important is the movement and the water displacement and how it plays into movement
- second (but also part of movement/displacement)... large profile with min materials

paco- i'm guessing you are doing the hangtime based off the Hatches Magazine article from '08???

personaly, i don't like that version... it was still a brick of fur and feathers
there have been some fundamental changes to that fly and the beauford

More long skinny saddles, schlappen, tons of flashabou, and long fine buck tail (tied in the round reverse)
making a light weight fly with a design that allows for a big push of water and movement even when the fly is dead in the water

Acttualy they based on the tying tuts from the musky country dvd. The fly's Lucky and Brad were tying. Theres were fuller than mine. And the original hangtime that was in hatches was a tied on a 3/0 single hook. From what i've gathered the hangtime is tyed tandem and now they have gone into triples. Not so much for amount of hooks but for added movement.

Brad Bohens current I.G.F.A. fly world record was caught on a orange double beauford. Which is a tandem hangtime with a ball of deer hair spun for a head, it's a big pusher fly.

Back