Muskies in Creeks and Trout Streams?

In the Slippery Rock Creek watershed they are native. And doing very well. I’ve seen many over the years, hooked a few, saw the largest one in my life there. Smaller rivers don’t necessarily mean smaller fish.

I check the WW stockings frequently to see where they are still stocking. As long as the state is providing accurate information then it is very easy to see on a county basis where they are still stocking muskies, walleyes, etc.

I know for a fact they are still stocking the section of the Juniata in front of my house with musky and walleye. And I know for a fact that muskies are quite common in this part of the Juniata. It would be cool if natural reproduction would occur, though.

Connoquennessing Creek, right down I79 from Slippery Rock, also has “native” muskies.

Some fascinating responses and stories - thanks.

I started this thread with the expectation that more of the west side folks would chime in. After all, this is where they are native and common in creeks (like Connoquennessing as greenghost points out above). Pretty much any un-dammed mid-sized creek in western PA should potentially hold some muskies if the habitat is suitable.

Nevertheless, I have never seen a muskie up in a small "trout stream" sized creek with any degree of elevation.

jifigz,
I think it highly likely that there is some limited, natural repro in the Juniata. Perhaps with the evolving musky management plan, such evidence will come to light. Next time you're out in the springtime, keep an eye out for pairs of adult muskies cruising the shorelines. I have seen this in other waters and it is indicative of spawning activity (if not success).

Back