Mud snails in Lackawanna River

Somebody states they know where the mud snails were found, (Section 8), and someone else said there was stocking done in that section and still another claims to know who stocked and the source of the fish, a private club and a private hatchery in Effort...

...and folks are still railing on the PFBC?? :rolleyes:

I don’t mind supporting the NYS-DEC, they seem to have their ish properly together
Indeed. Let's plan a trip up there soon. All this talk about stocked fish has really got me craving the wilds, big fish that can ACTUALLY fight. I need an excuse to get that Nymphmaniac. Won't surprise me if a main stem bow breaks it in half. You know me, I gotta learn the hard way. And no, I won't be buying a new set of waders and boots just for the occasion, but if someone more passionate about this area of gear cleanliness wants to buy me some, I'll gladly take them up on that offer.

Alright, I'll fess up. It was me who brought the NZ mud snails over here. Being a trust fund baby I frequently do trips to NZ where I drive my Lamborghini Miura onto my C130 and just fly right over and start fishing. During my last trip I actually fished with Liam Neeson, Temuera Morrsion, and Viggo Mortensen.

A more believable story that what PFBC will tell concerning the outbreak.

Alright, I'll fess up. It was me who brought the NZ mud snails over here. Being a trust fund baby I frequently do trips to NZ where I drive my Lamborghini Miura onto my C130 and just fly right over and start fishing. During my last trip I actually fished with Liam Neeson, Temuera Morrsion, and Viggo Mortensen.

Why the hell are they even stocking the Lackawanna? Thing already has some of the most freakishly large naturally reproducing wild brown trout I've seen in a waterway that size.

Why the hell are they even stocking the Lackawanna? Thing already has some of the most freakishly large naturally reproducing wild brown trout I've seen in a waterway that size.
Culture. Stocking rules in PA.

Nothing like taking a nice poop water and AMD-marinated mushmouth home to the pan
We have to remember the children guys, we all know millions of stocked rubber invasive trout have been recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for normal childhood development. Children who grow up catching catfish, sunnies, fall fish, creek chubs, pickerel, small mouth, largemouth, perch, walleyes, rockbass all wind up in jail.

Doesn't the PFBC recommend, because they care so much, Anglers not to release caught trout from an infested waterway into one that isn't?

How they do on that themselves?😂

Last edited:
Better for the garden.
I find the AMD is neutralized in the garden by adding large limestone rocks to your garden here and there. It also adds decorative appeal and helps keeps weeds down. The nitrate just helps things grow.

Last edited:
We have to remember the children guys, we all know millions of stocked rubber invasive trout have been recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for normal childhood development. Children who grow up catching catfish, sunnies, fall fish, creek chubs, pickerel, small mouth, largemouth, perch, walleyes, rockbass all wind up in jail.
One of my cousins never had access to stocked trout and he ended up becoming a heroin addict... so sad.

No no, it was me. We were told earlier, it was me.
I was driving my Tesla, which apparently has a real flux capacitor designed by Tesla himself. It took me back 12 years and I infested it then.
They just now noticed.

I did however mange bet on some sports teams while I was back there. I'm ready to retire now and Brown Rainbow Farms is about to start growing produce internationally.

I was driving my Tesla, which apparently has a real flux capacitor designed by Tesla himself.
Well can your Tesla make vroom vroom noises? Also that car won't be beneficial for your garden when it catches fire, and IT WILL catch fire at some point.

Well can your Tesla make vroom vroom noises? Also that car won't be beneficial for your garden when it catches fire, and IT WILL catch fire at some point.
I got mine in special Vegan Tweed so the ashes should be fine.

Psssst.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how section 1 below the Lake gets very warm being that it is well above the cool mine springs that enter the river.

Guess where those left over stocked fish go.
It isn't up stream either.

Anyone with much experience on that river will likely tell you the fish in it move around, a lot.
Some sections seem to go bare and others are exploding with fish on any given day or season.

Last edited:
I don’t clean my gear between fishing different waterways. Never have, never will. Fight me.

This is 100% a PFBC stocking problem. Only evidence you need is to look where the hatcheries are. If the fishy commission wants to buy me a second $1000 set of Simms G4’s then maybe I’ll worry about it. Prolly not tho.

🤷

"Oh no there's been an outbreak of mudsnails in the Lackawanna, what happened?"

"Maybe a snail hitched a ride in my boot from across the world,country or state and then dislodged itself one day while I was fishing...."

"Or maybe it's the #$@& contaminated fish they put it the river that they couldn't guarantee wouldn't spread them!"

Last edited:
Of course we have a bunch of streams that get fish from benner with mud snails
I don’t think that it was “a bunch” of these mud snail streams that were stocked by Benner based upon my review that revealed what I would call the most likely historical county stocking assignments. Based on knowledge of county assignments (Northampton Co) and the logic behind my review for determining the most likely other counties’ hatchery assignments I am estimating that Benner stocked 6 of 23 streams on the list. Five of those streams have special reg areas, and the other is frequented by anglers from many locations based on the historical threads here about that stream. So if one agrees that sources could be hatcheries or anglers, particularly when it comes to the mobile behavior of special reg anglers, then there’s not much clarity as to the source of the mud snails in those 5 streams. Adding to the fog is that it’s not known where the mud snails were found in the streams.

To be fair, I included the Lackawanna River even though it did not appear on the list. In equal spirit of fairness, I didn’t include the Schuylkill, which would then be the 24th stream . The mud snail list says that for the Schuylkill the snails are in three counties…Berks, Montgomery, and Philly. Benner didn’t historically stock those counties. I left it off the tally because it’s such a crap shoot as to what’s going on there with three counties involved and lots of tribs. Within those counties, the Schuylkill is a warmwater river.

Last edited:
Mike -
Is there a list somewhere of all the PA streams known to have mud snails?
The map on the PAFB site is vague

The list is buried within an article that apparently gets updated on the PFBC web site. The version of the article that I looked at was 2022 (October, I think).

Back