More Women?

Onemorecast,

Welcome to the forum!

Now that I think of it, I have only see women ffing this year. One was on the Gunpowder with her husband, and two more fishing on the Codorus about a month ago.

Onemorecast, welcome!

Steve

I must be the lucky one, I run into a good many ladies on the stream. I have seen a bunch of them on the breeches, there are a few couples that fish there a good bit. I seen a few fishing with guides on the fly stretch.

Couple of years ago, while fishing Spring at the new bridge, a van pulled up and four ladies got out, one of them a black lady. Now that was a surprise seeing that many ladies at one time.

Another time while fishing Spring ran into a couple from Maryland, this was a funny story, but wouldn't be able to tell it on this site, it was X rated.

So watch were you pee :-D

PaulG

Thanks again for the welcome, guys.

I've wanting to fish the Gunpowder for some time. There's a bunch of places on my list for that matter.

Onemorecast,

Send me a PM sometime, I fish it quite frequently. Also, check out backwaterangler.com.

Steve

I do see some women on the LL from time to time and I think I've seen one guiding there. Talking to my mother who fly fished at the Paridise while attending Penn State back in the mid-40s, she says there were quite a few women who fly fished back then. The 4H clubs had women fly tying and fishing groups. My daughters aren't interested even thoug they both spin fish. I think the equipment aspects turn them off.

tabasco_joe wrote:
I do see some women on the LL from time to time and I think I've seen one guiding there. Talking to my mother who fly fished at the Paridise while attending Penn State back in the mid-40s, she says there were quite a few women who fly fished back then. The 4H clubs had women fly tying and fishing groups. My daughters aren't interested even thoug they both spin fish. I think the equipment aspects turn them off.

I do fish the LL, as I grew up in Allentown. I always thought fly fishing looked hard to learn so I stuck with spinning equipment. Once I took up fly fishing and hanging around fly shops and internet forums, I found that I learned so much more about trout than I ever though possible.

Paul,

Now that you mention it. I think I've seen more women flyfishing than black people. Shame because I think it's a great pastime and not nearly so hard as people want you to think.

I grew up in Allentown as well, Mountainville section. Funny thing is I lived there for 25 years and never fished the LL while I lived there. Now I'm in lower Bucks and drive up every other week or so to fish it.

In Bucks Co. TU chapter we have a few women that attend, some tye flies others don't

I'd love to see more women involved in Fly-fishing, but I think that because fishing in general is a blood sport this is in part the reason more women don't participate. I'm not sure why this would keep them away, my sense is that it just does.
The second reason is that hunting and fishing are sports for the old boys club, and for the most part this is promoted by everyone from sportswriters, sorry Bob, to fishing and hunting magazines. What we need is more women writing about their outdoor adventures, and promoting it from a womens perspective rather than magazines putting women models on the covers to attract men to the magazine. Everything about hunting and fishing is focused on men and the mans viewpoint, not from a womans viewpoint.

Chaz hit the nail on the head. I would add that a lot of fly shops are very female-unfriendly, from layout to product selection to staff attitude to a lack of female staff. Full line Orvis stores are a notable exception, in general. My wife loves them......they are actually clean, visually appealing, and have a large selection of things in women's sizes that you can try out/try on. And no zipperlip let-me-size-you-up-first-before-I-help-you-as-I-look-up-from-my-women-in-waders-calender attitude found at SOME other shops. Who cares if they carry trout themed flatware; I enjoy eating of of them, too.

But these are the things Orvis gets ripped for.....

I can see Chaz's point but younger girls seem to enjoy fishing as much as the boys. My own daughters loved fishing for sunnies prior to their mid-teens. Then they lost interest. Not sure why. One wouldn't touch a rod for anything now and the other would if she had an opportunity but doesn't pursue it on her own. Best I cna do is get them to cast a fly rod in the back yard occasionally and spot fish for me on the LL.

BTW Beadhead I totally forgot about the women that are at the TU meetings. They seem a natural part of the meetings and don't stand out the way you might notice on a stream. In a way that's progress. I think the same thing would happen if you routinely saw women on the streams.

OhioOutdoorsman wrote:
Chaz hit the nail on the head. I would add that a lot of fly shops are very female-unfriendly, from layout to product selection to staff attitude to a lack of female staff. Full line Orvis stores are a notable exception, in general. My wife loves them......they are actually clean, visually appealing, and have a large selection of things in women's sizes that you can try out/try on. And no zipperlip let-me-size-you-up-first-before-I-help-you-as-I-look-up-from-my-women-in-waders-calender attitude found at SOME other shops. Who cares if they carry trout themed flatware; I enjoy eating of of them, too.

But these are the things Orvis gets ripped for.....

This is an interesting take on the issue. I have to say I'm not exactly big into shopping. I've been in only one Orvis store, that would be the Old Lehigh Outfitters shop that used to be in Bethlehem. It was a nice shop and I was always treated well there, but I also like the variety (not to mention character) that is found in the independent fly shops.

It would be a definite help to have items geared toward women (waders and wading boots!) that are available to try on. However, I recognize that shops can't carry the kind of inventory to cater to women of all shaped and sizes. I shop at Cabelas once in a while for things I can't find in a shop. For instance my boots are Cabelas because they were the only women's wading boots available to try on that weren't over $100.

Attitude is a really, really big thing. Thankfully, I've only ever experienced being ignored/not taken seriously once. Every other fly shop owner/employee I've encountered has gone out of their way to help me out. If I get ignored or not taken serously, I walk. And I never window shop. I only go to fly shops (or any store for that matter) when I need something.

These comments have really got me thinking - you guys made some good points about women and fishing. My friends all look at me like I'm from another planet when I tell them about my fishing adventures. I'm wondering now if I should start evangelizing?

This may also be another resource for you.
http://www.dvwffa.org/index2.htm
If you are interested in fishing new waters or learning more about the sport, they offer some excellent opportunities. Mary Kuss of The Sporting Gentleman is an active member.

Good Luck,
Rolf

First of all, I have seen more women on the stream fly-fishing in recent years. On my last trip to the Tully a few weeks ago there were two women FF in front of me. Actually it I appeared that that one woman was teaching the other.

From my experience, and listening to what some women say and write, one of the reasons that many don’t fish is that they are not comfortable being in remote areas. I can’t say that I blame them. It is a shame that any person should have to fear for their safety going anywhere in this country. But it is a sad reality.

A few years ago, while fishing Valley Creek in the Park, I ran into a woman FF. I was sitting on the bank taking a break and watching some fish rise in front of me. There was a FF working their way upstream. I decided not to try for the risers and waited until the FF below worked their way upstream so that they can give them a try. When the FF got close enough I saw it was a woman. I greeted her and tried to point out the location of the rising fish. She ignored me. When the fish rose again I pointed it out and she turned and began yelling for her husband. Sheesh!! I may look like a mad chain saw/axe murderer, but we were in the middle of VF Park in the wide open surrounded by joggers, walkers, horseback riders, and Park Rangers. I stood up and walked away back to my truck. Ever since then I am very careful to give just a “hello - any luck “or” beautiful day”, and only engage in a conversation she initiates it. Remember guys, a lot of us on this board look real scary!! Remember that when on the stream, and realize that women FF are just out there to have a good time and catch a few fish just like you.

One other observation, when a lot of guys see a women fishing on the stream, they assume all women are lacking in skill, and need help. A while back I was fishing on Fishing Creek (Columbia County) at the old SR area. I was done for the day and was walking back to my vehicle. I approached one of the pools and saw a two women there together, and one was teaching the other to cast. An older gentleman approached them from the opposite direction. He talked for a minute and began to give casting instruction to both women. As I got closer, I recognized the woman teaching as Cathy Beck. I knew her from frequenting the shop they used to own in Benton, and from FF shows and photos of her inside and on the cover of all the FF magazines. She apparently had a woman client she was instructing. She was very pleasant and courteous while listening to the gentleman. As I walked by I said hello, all while listening to the guy talking about 10 o’clock / 2 o’clock…… Don’t assume that women can’t fish, they may have a lot more skill and knowledge than you!

I’d like to see more women into FF. I’m trying to get my wife into it. She’s tried it a few times, and accompanies me on the stream once in a while. Welcome Onemorecast. It’s great that your now one of the flyfishers on the board and on the stream. Good luck.

This is an interesting take on the issue. I have to say I'm not exactly big into shopping. I've been in only one Orvis store, that would be the Old Lehigh Outfitters shop that used to be in Bethlehem. It was a nice shop and I was always treated well there, but I also like the variety (not to mention character) that is found in the independent fly shops.

I agree. I enjoy the independent shops and the varety. I think most experienced fisherman would agree, man or woman. However, I feel a lot of independent fly shops and manufacturers could improve in marketing to women, especially those who are just getting into fishing or more importantly those undecided about getting into fishing. I know the dollars spent on fishing gear has easily tripled in my house since my wife got into fishing.

My youngest sister never fished in her life until after she watched "The Movie" and got married (her husband likes to hunt an fish), and after she became a lawyer. Her first and I believe her only fishing trip was the Gunnison. I think her law firm paid for it. When she got back she was excited and told my wife she can’t wait to tell me about it. My wife gave her a heads up about how a felt about “the movie” and how I felt the sport has become a yuppie fad so she wouldn’t be disappointed by my lack of excitement. Smart lady.

My sense is that girls loose their interest in fishing during the teen years because they become interested in boys, then they find that boys never really grow up and except for their significant other are not interested in handing out with a bunch of smelly, F**ting, belching men. Maybe if we all shutup some will chime in.

FarmerDave wrote:
My youngest sister never fished in her life until after she watched "The Movie" and got married (her husband likes to hunt an fish), and after she became a lawyer. Her first and I believe her only fishing trip was the Gunnison. I think her law firm paid for it. When she got back she was excited and told my wife she can’t wait to tell me about it. My wife gave her a heads up about how a felt about “the movie” and how I felt the sport has become a yuppie fad so she wouldn’t be disappointed by my lack of excitement. Smart lady.

Yoi!! She was eager to talk to you about her fishing trip because you are her older brother and after her fishing trip she felt she had something in common to talk to you about.

Family is important. All that stuff about "the movie" and so-called "yuppies" isn't important, it was just something to joke about, and not to be taken seriously.

Buy her a nice Christmas present this year, and plan a fishing trip with her and her husband this year.

That's just my take on it, not having met any of the people involved. But I have a younger sister too...

Back