Molasses vs. Lightening

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Molasses vs. lightening with respect to the action of the rods you prefer. After reading a lot of posts about rod choices, I have an idea of the preference of some of the regular posters. Not to single anyone out, but as an example both Sal and Chaz fish a lot, especially smaller streams. From listening to their choices in rod action, they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Sal is molasses vs. Chaz is who lightening.

I’m a fast rod guy like Chaz; even in short cast, small stream situations. I have some slower rods that I bought when I began FF, and rarely use them. If I do use them, I underline them to “speed up” their action. You couldn’t give me an Orvis Superfine full flex rod to fish with for free!

Fast rods work for my casting style. As I have posted before, a slow rod to me is like a car with one gear. With a fast rod, I can cast an open loop if I need to, or a very tight loop to place the fly in a tight spot; the loop is controlled with the amount of speed/power applied in the stroke.

I’m not the greatest distance caster, and rarely need to cast that far, but for me a faster rod is much easier when I have to cast and shoot for distance.

One thing that always seems to come up about fast rods is breaking tippets. I fish midge and trico hatches all the time with light tippets, and I can’t remember the last fish that broke my tippet.

Another thing that I hear from the slow rod casters, is that a slow action rod is better for roll casting. I can roll cast 10’ – 50’+ with my fast action rod and Triangle Taper line. As a matter of fact, with my fast action rod I can roll cast with split shot and/or multiple BH flies, since my rod has the power if I need to use it.

I recommend to all beginning fly fisherman, don’t spend a lot of cash on your first fly rod. Start with a medium action rod to learn casting, and try different rods as you develop. I listened to others thought early on, and own some rods that don’t work well for me. As you develop your casting style, you likely will gravitate in one direction or the other. Also, don’t take anything you read about rod action as gospel – slow or fast. Test a rod you are looking to buy, by casting it short, long, roll casting and mending with it. Ask your shop if you can use some demo rods to fish with for a day. Casting in the parking lot is usually not adequate. It’s all a matter of your casting style and what works and feels comfortable to you. The one that feels right and casts well in the situations you face most is the one!

As I stated above, both Chaz and Sal catch a lot of fish using different action rods. There is no right answer. Which type of rod action do you prefer and why?

Not to brag or anything but I'm going to :-D I use both fast and slow action rods it all depends on what I'm fishing for I like fast action for bass so I can shoot out line while casting big flies and medium to slow action for trout so I can place a small fly in a tight place most of the trout fishing I do is in tight qtrs so I really don't need to shoot my line out to far . I love my new trout bum 7'9 5wt superfine it has alot more backbone than the previous model and just as delicate, IMHO I think it is the best all purpose trout rod.... . As far as casting goes I can cast with my left and right with both action rods but I can only double haul with the right. And i'm working on the left, I think I will have it perfected after the next big storm since I won't be able to fish .... :pint:

Medium is about as slow as I can go, but I think Medium-Fast is best for my casting "style."

Interesting discussion. St. Croix advertises their SCllll as med-fast, though the rods I have built with the balnks feel just plain medium. I have a Winston that's like butter and I'd call it slow. On the other hand a buddy gave me a bamboo rod to play with and it felt like I had time to light a cigar waiting for the back cast to straighten. However, I don't mean to suggest that slow and fast are completely relative terms. Lots of rods really are lightening. What I understand is that the farther down the blank a rod will bend the slower it is considered. I guess that has to do with casting stroke, as us slower guys are ok with a little time to load the rod properly. I have fished fast rods and know they really don't fit my style of casting as they always are ready to come forward before I am.
Coughlin

All of my trout rods are fast, fast, and ummmm FAST! I like to cast quick and these rods work perfect to my liking. When fishing bass I like a medium action because once again I like to cast faster, but I also cast consistently longer distances that a fast action rod just can't provide. I just don't think I could personally ever own a slow rod. I had 1 medium action for trout when I was starting and I don't see myself ever going back let alone any slower.

Fast is good. The only drawback is the cost.

I fish all types, depending on the species and place i am fishing...Each has its place....same as a small 5' rod to a 15' rod, each has its place (i have these too.) :)

there isn't much difference to me what i cast... :-D

I have no idea if I'd like a fast rod. I've never owned one.

The only rods I own that I spent more than 200 bucks for are my 2 Far & Fines and Orvis Small Stream Special.

Everything else I own is low end Diamondback and St. Croix and hence relatively slow.

Instinctively, I don't think I'd want a fast rod. I'd be afraid the next thing I'd do would be to start wearing a bandana and one of those goofy hats with the flaps that fold down over the back of the neck.

I wouldn't want that to happen to me...:)

I'll agree with the original sentiment of the thread. To each his own, and I'll be the last to say that someone's favorite rod is a "broomstick" or "noodle".

Myself, I seem to cast better with a slower action. My favorite rod is a 8.5' Winston WT, which is supposed to be a "bamboo" action. If you slow down the backcast, it can really punch a long line. It's also accurate. And I value accuracy over distance. I think on any stream, shortening the cast and being accurate is crucial. Perhaps big streams like Penns puts an even greater premium on wading up close, because it seems a big stream can have more currents of different speeds.

I also own a fast rod and like that too. Fast rods feel light in the hand for some reason. Perhaps it's the rods I've cast. Some really good casters I know seem to love them. So I can't argue with success.

Dear afishinado,

I have and use fly rods that have actions that run the gamut from rebar to 18 minute linguine and I like all of them in the right circumstances.

For years I only bought fast action rods and each new rod added to my arsenal got progressively faster with the exception of my Orvis One Weight.

Then one day I had the opportunity to try a number of bamboo rods. I had a devil of a time casting several of them but I stuck with them and eventually got the hang of each rod's quirks and action.

Since that time I have added a number of bamboo rods and fiberglass rods to my collection and I do use most of them fairly frequently.

It can be a challenge to go switch after 3 or 4 weeks of fishing my 8 weight for bass to casting a bamboo rod for trout, but to me at least that is part of what I like about fly casting. I like to be able to use all the rods that own equally well and I can say that after years of practice I pretty much can do just that.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I like rods with personality, I never cast a rod that someone made I did not like (some I like better). Slow/med/med-fast/fast they all have their place. Factory rods, you can have them over priced and cheap components. I'll stick with the 4 and 6 sided rods. How fast is fast or how slow is slow? To me that is in the hands of the caster to decide and the conditions to be fished. It' s a wonderful thing that's what tapers are all about. My 5 year old is picking up 25 feet of line and laying it back out straight with her bamboo med acting rod. But she love the slow action tapers because she says she can feel that rod (that's my girl bamboo at heart). I'm in no hurry when fishing so I prefer to feel the rod load and let it do the work it was designed to do. Yes, there are times when cannons need to be used. But I'll stick with slow to med fast for most trout waters and small dry flies. It's usually only a short walk back to the truck if conditions change.

Joe E.

you nailed me! :-D i do prefer slow action rods and i love the orvis superfine. BTW, if anyone does give you a superfine for free id be glad to take it off you hands! :-D i prefer the superfine because of its sensitivity. it can cast small dries to a size 10 bugger. i have had my friends tell me that i can cast a 10 bugger like a dry fly. also with the slower action im not waving my rod around fast and i belive this helps me not spook wary trout. i cant tell you the amount of times im walking a stream and walk right up on a trout sitting in the shallows. any fast movement could spook that fish. afish is right though. it is all a matter of preference. there is no right answer in a choice of a rod. its is all a matter of what feels right to you. i do know this, i hate fishing with another rod. i remember when i broke mine and was rodless. i had many offers to use another rod and go fishing. i tried this once and it never felt right. one reason im in the market for another full flex rod. then i wont have to worry about it.
i agree with the remark that when starting out not to spend alot on a rod. but only to an extent. first thing someone should do is cast the rod they are looking at before purchasing. but dont go real cheap either, unless u like a cheaper rod and how it feels. i have seen it time and time again, someone buys a cheap rod and falls in love with fly fishing. then they want to upgrade right away because the rod isnt good enough for real technical fishing. i recommend buying a mid-priced rod. then you wont have to upgrade right away.
BTW, i do recommend st. croix rods though. they are really nice for the price. i just wish they made a slow action rod!

you nailed me! i do prefer slow action rods and i love the orvis superfine. BTW, if anyone does give you a superfine for free id be glad to take it off you hands! i prefer the superfine because of its sensitivity. it can cast small dries to a size 10 bugger. i have had my friends tell me that i can cast a 10 bugger like a dry fly.

AMEN BROTHER :-D

JoeE wrote:
I like rods with personality, I never cast a rod that someone made I did not like (some I like better). Slow/med/med-fast/fast they all have their place. Factory rods, you can have them over priced and cheap components. I'll stick with the 4 and 6 sided rods. How fast is fast or how slow is slow? To me that is in the hands of the caster to decide and the conditions to be fished. It' s a wonderful thing that's what tapers are all about. My 5 year old is picking up 25 feet of line and laying it back out straight with her bamboo med acting rod. But she love the slow action tapers because she says she can feel that rod (that's my girl bamboo at heart). I'm in no hurry when fishing so I prefer to feel the rod load and let it do the work it was designed to do. Yes, there are times when cannons need to be used. But I'll stick with slow to med fast for most trout waters and small dry flies. It's usually only a short walk back to the truck if conditions change.

Joe E.

I agree Joe, but you forgot one thing. The cane rods just plain look better, and go so much better with your tweed. :lol:

Cool in the summer, warn in the winter and it is always in fashion. LoL

Joe E.

As a rod builder, I have come to the opinion that the differences between rods (fast vs slow, long vs short, high modulous graphite vs glass) are vastly overstated in terms of what you are able to do with a rod. What it is more dependent on is your experience and familiarity with a particular rod. You can learn to place a dry fly softly with fast action rod with a good drift at the end of your cast and learn to shoot line in the wind or under a branch with a slow rod with a good haul. You just need practice. Two notable exceptions are a long rod is much easier to mend with and a stiff butt is a real asset when fighting a larger fish.

What action one prefers is largely a matter of enjoyment, not something that pratically effects what you are able to do, no matter what the marketing people at the rod companies tell you.

That being said, for trout fishing, I am molassess. I fish 90% of the time on smaller streams with dry flies and use a winston IM6, orivis trout bum (old model), and a diamonglass rod all 3-4 wt, 7-7 1/2 ft. I find the relaxed stroke these rods require, well, relaxing.

Now when I'm chucking weighted nymphs or big flies or fighting a big bass or steelhead, I prefer a fast rod that still has a soft tip. These experiences are all about the adrenaline and I want a powerful rod. Here, I am lightning.

I was with you Ohio, until your last paragraph. :-D

As an angler and a rod re-builder,;-) I prefer a slower action for steelhead mainly because it protects the lighter tippets better on hook set and fighting. Just a personal preference. Plus, it is all weighted subsurface fishing where I prefer slower action rods. Other than that, I pretty much agree. however, I do use "faster" action for most everything else, but faster is a relative term. In this case my "faster" action would be considered medium or moderate by most.

As an interesting (hopefully) sideline to discussion of rod action. Has anyone tried the Bob Clouser St. Croix rod? It has a truly unique action. The tip feels fairly stiff, while the action gets slower around the middle or lower end of the rod. You end up with a rod that bends very deep in the cast. Which makes for a terriffic amount of leverage, it would seem to me. And it throws weighted flies or sinking lines well, because the tip has a good amount of power.

Back