mixing tippet leader material.

Bruno

Bruno

I was in a rush the other day and ended up using an Orvis Super strong leader. I have not used a pre packaged leader in several years. I have been tying my own. Anyway I used frog hair tippet on the leader. I was very surprised at the number of break offs I had just above the connecting knot. It seemed to me that the frog was cutting the orvis material.

Ever have this happen to you ?

I've mixed leader and tippet before and haven't found much of a difference. Or at least not anything noticible to me. How old are the leader and tippet?

I know the diameter of tippet materials varies between brands too. Where are you breaking off, near the knot or between the knot?

I've mixed many different kinds of tippet together - even with flourocarbon - and had no problems.
The culprit might be with the froghair tippet. I tried it once, and didn't care for it

I was told by a Frog Hair rep that if you mix Floro and mono you stand a good chance of having the floro cut right thru the mono within your knot. Your mileage may vary.

It was just very strange the break was above the blood knot or just at it almost every time. I think the frog hair was cutting right through.

tomgamber wrote:
I was told by a Frog Hair rep that if you mix Floro and mono you stand a good chance of having the floro cut right thru the mono within your knot. Your mileage may vary.

I was just down to road to visit with my dentist on Thursday night. This guy is literately a world class spey fisherman. We were sitting out in his garage and he was showing me some of the gear that was going with him on his trip to the Gasp Peninsula for atlantic run salmon. He left on Friday for a week..... Anyway. We were talking about knots and tippet and he also made the comment that floro will cut through mono. I knew nothing of this and this may explain some of my recent break offs. Sorry for going into detail on my friends trip. The guy is a wealth of knowledge and he's just down the road from me.

5 wt, I love to hear stories- that's my favorite part of this website!

FiveWeight wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

I was just down to road to visit with my dentist on Thursday night. This guy is literately a world class spey fisherman. We were sitting out in his garage and he was showing me some of the gear that was going with him on his trip to the Gasp Peninsula for atlantic run salmon. He left on Friday for a week..... Anyway. We were talking about knots and tippet and he also made the comment that floro will cut through mono. I knew nothing of this and this may explain some of my recent break offs. Sorry for going into detail on my friends trip. The guy is a wealth of knowledge and he's just down the road from me.

Yeah, the only reason we'd be peeved is that he's not taking us with him... :-(

"Yeah, the only reason we'd be peeved is that he's not taking us with him..."

As he was showing me the gear he was going to take on the trip I kept looking for a duffel bag big enough for me to hide in.... About a month ago he was out in Portland, Oregon, the Sand River area after wild steelhead. He emails me the stories and pictures and I get to see the places I have only read about. Maybe on down the line I see this stuff for myself. Right now I'm pretty happy fishing central and SE PA. For now anyway.....

I've had episodic problems with Frog Hair (regular co-polymer) not holding when triple-surgeoned to Rio, Orvis SS or even that crappy Sci-Anglers stuff. Not all the time, but often enough to come to believe that there is/was some sort of compatibility problem and that the material of problem origin was the Frog Hair.

Yup, for sure, intermixing polymer sections can cause a cut thru as described. I first ran into this in the 70's when Nylorfi came into the market. On its own, it was way stronger (except for wind knots) than the nylons from Cortland, Kroic, Orvis, etc.

I don't know if the marketers were evil enough to predict that having the thinner, presumably weaker section not break before the fatter, softer Brand X would only confirm in your mind how weak the old fashioned nylon was.

The cut thrus often didn't occur until you had been ffishing for a few hours, and then just touching a blade of grass on a backcast would part the leader right above the blood knot. A long fight or 2 on big trouts or too many yanks out of a tree would have the same effect.

The other subtlety is the knotted leader might be just fine until it has gone through a few uses and rests. Nylon, and copolymers that incorporate it, dimensionally change a few % as they soak up water (and release it when the leader is stored in a dry place), and this cycle gradually weakens the knot.

The stiffer monos do tend to cut into the limper ones. Frog Hair isn't the only culprit; Maxima in any color can behave similarly. I do mix and match a lot, especially since I repurpose a lot of abandoned leader material and spinning line. I protect myself by keeping the 8X-5X parts of the leader the same brand/model.

The thicker the tippet diameter, the less I notice the cut thru problem.

tl
les

Back