matrix rod blanks

GenCon

GenCon

Anyone have any experience with Matrix rod blanks?

GenCon

I have a 7'6" 3wt built on a matrix blank. I like it, it's a nice little rod for the money. I use an orvis superfine line on it and use it for tricos and other small stuff, mostly dries.

Dcap240 wrote:
I have a 7'6" 3wt built on a matrix blank. I like it, it's a nice little rod for the money. I use an orvis superfine line on it and use it for tricos and other small stuff, mostly dries.

Dcap, thanks for your response. How do you feel about their taper they say it is a medium fast. Do you agree with this? I actually prefer my trout rods to be more medium than fast.

GenCon

I would say it is a little more medium then fast. I think it's a good little dry fly rod. I have a really light line on mine which is a 2 piece blank but with a heavier line it would probably flex a little more. The closest rod I have to compare it to is a Helios 2 10ft 4wt tip flex and it is much slower then that. I actually just used the matrix the other day for the first time this year after using the H2 all spring and it felt like a wet noodle at first until I got used to it again. I fished tricos in the morning and then switched to a small frenchie (size 18-tungsten bead) under a CDC and elk after the tricos were over and it will cast a small nymph rig but it is much better for dries.

Thanks for you response.

GenCon

I have an 8wt. I would say med-fast. It doesn't like to be over lined.
Subdued plenty of stripers and blues up to 28" with it. The only issue I have is cosmetic. You have to do a trim wrap where the weave ends.

i built a 7'6 3wt for a friend of mine over in state college.. He fishes 100+ days a year.. its a medium action. he had broken the top section (fault of his own) , and i found a replacement at a reasonable cost.

He is saying is is more durable than most of his store bought rods.. Not sure what brand he was comparing to, but it made me feel pretty good.

he seems pretty happy with it.. i have one to build myself but no time.. its great fishing

Back