Made in America or ...........

Tha's what I thought. Wasn't sure though.

That's pretty close. But here is a more explicit statement:

If I cared about a $200 difference in rod price I'd already be way over my head in spending $550 on a fly rod. Or, looked at from the other angle, if I had so much money that I would spend $550 for a rod, I certainly wouldn't find an extra $200 a big issue, or rather any issue at all. As I noted, this attitude flows from my being one of the biggest cheapskates I know.

Are the blanks made in the US and shipped overseas for assembly?. How many blank makers are there in the US?Just me, my salt water stuff is mostly custom made locally. Those are on Fenwick,old Shakespeare and others that I can't recall. I've got some Penn ,Star,and Shimano rods and reels. I'm not an elitist regarding tackle and I know that the fish aren't either.Buy locally and help the shop owners.I got some hellacious deals on equipment at the hock shops.Got some good blanks,old rods , and had them re wrapped.No none of my rods have my name on them.

TroutBuster wrote:
Liberals own guns...???

Right here, buddy! I can see 17 of them from my computer.

Of couse, like "communist", for some people "liberal" is just a blanket synonym for everything and everyone they don't like. In Germany they used the word "Juden". It's the same thing. You know how that turned out.

Back on topic: I wish American rod makers could or would make there rods for a less extravagant price. Why do premium rods cost about $300 more than they did 3 years ago?

Anything else go up in price like that, besides Petroleum? (which is now down) Seriously: That makes College and Health Care look like frikk'n pikers. PIKERS, I TELL YA!!!!

And if they need more money, heck just price 'em up around a grand each. If they all collude to do that, maybe they'll re-set the market and tap into a larger revenue stream. Sure, a graphite cone with a cork handle, a reel seat and 7 guides is worth more than a new Winchester Model 70.
They need to do a better job of making good rods for less, not boutique items.

Syl

Because "Made in America" is linked to "fine craftsmanship" on everything except cars anymore?

And "fine craftsmanship" means "prepare to take it in the wallet," except in cars where it means "German mythology."

American manufacturing is no longer content with producing honest products at honest prices, like everything American, it needs to be the best (please don't spin that into the basis of a negative comment, its not meant to be). I think that's why the price needs to be so much, because everything has to exceed and excel, rather than be content at producing things that are just right.

Instead, we outsource that to other countries to mass produce our goods for us. Evidently, in the case of tackle, that's China and Korea.

However, it appears to someone on the outskirts that there is a place where you can still obtain quality American craftsmanship and reasonable prices: There's an entire cottage industry of home and small scale customer builders out there. Just doing a little research recently leads me to believe that a "custom" or the very least "handbuilt" rod isn't as an expensive as one would think upon hearing the words.

Quantity
Spinning rods-which are almost as expensive to make now days because of the need for hardened guides[braided line] are quite a bit lower priced.
I have decided to spend my $250 return on a grossly over priced spinning rod to help the economy[yeah,right]
It will be around $265 plus shipping
same level in a fly-rod $650 so they are and always have-sticking it to long rodders.

tomgamber wrote:
TroutBuster wrote:
Liberals own guns...???

yes, many do so watch what you say. ;-)

Yes but they are all single shots! :-D :-D :-D

All things being equal I might consider paying 10% or so more for an American made product. To me the rod is a tool and I don't have a problem paying a lot for a good tool. That said my most expensive rod is a spinning rod that I paid $300 for. Worth every penny because I can feel every pebble on the bottom and strikes I never felt with my other equipment when bass fishing.

wetnet wrote:
I wish more companies asked what we wanted before they mass produced. They would save a ton of money and make more. W&J has a new magnetic pac. Something I didn't ask for but am curious as to the additional weight and convenience. Might just check it out.

My guess is that WJ did use customer feedback for these packs, When I first saw them i immediately realized the benefits. Having owned two WJ pacsk and dealing with line getting caught on zipper pulls the magnets are genius. The magnets are also superior to velcro, which has no place on hunting/fishing items.

As for the original question, for me the Made in USA factor would come into play in a final decision - 2 rods, similar specs, similar prices i go with the US made rod. My last two rods were "made" in the USA by a custom builder, but i dont know where the components came from.

tabasco_joe wrote:
All things being equal I might consider paying 10% or so more for an American made product. To me the rod is a tool and I don't have a problem paying a lot for a good tool. That said my most expensive rod is a spinning rod that I paid $300 for. Worth every penny because I can feel every pebble on the bottom and strikes I never felt with my other equipment when bass fishing.

Yes but there is also an old saying "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

i think this same issue is the demise of the small fly shop outfits....so many people are worried about a deal. well certain are worth more than a deal, the old timer at the shop who wont be there spreading his knowledge anymore is priceless...

MGstick- are you a Winston fan?

If you ever get a chance to read Serious Flyfishing, a self-published book by a guy named John Waite, it is a really fun, highly opinionated rant on the excesses of the fly tackle industry, and particularly on high end rods and lines. It is as if venom drips from every page.

Sage fans should avoid reading it.

More to the point of this thread, he even has a basic attitude toward economics and applies it to fly tackle, in that too many people willingly paying too much is harmful for the whole and for progress in general.

He was a fan of Fenwick and Hardy, though I have to wonder how he would feel about the latter now with their $900 reel and the former with their offshoring of production.

Can the research, materials, manufacturing setup and labor for a $60 line really be that much more than for a $20 line? That kind of thing gets thorough treatment.

I think he takes things too far but there are some really catchy ideas.

I read it about 10 years ago from the library and will never forget his "voice."

As to the "U.S. vs. Them" issue, I don't need anything but when I do I tend to go with US made, though nowadays largely via the used marketplace. If people strapped for cash need to unload some tackle, I think it is a good thing to buy from them.

"MGstick- are you a Winston fan?"

if i could afford them im sure i would be........the name refers to my truck, it could be used because its a 5 speed and related to fishing sticks....

Being an ex-steelworker y'all know what i'm gonna say. BUY AMERICAN !!!!

osprey wrote:
Being an ex-steelworker y'all know what i'm gonna say. BUY AMERICAN !!!!

Not to belittle your opinion (I tend to agree with it), but what defines American?

Am I buying American when I buy a GM car built with 65% NAFTA parts, but its assembled in Mexico? How about if its Canada? Or is it if its from the US?

What about a Honda? My Honda is 65% American sourced parts, and built in Ohio? But, profits go back to a multinational in Japan. American?

There in is a problem with a banner statement of, "Buy American!" anymore... Multinationals no longer make it so cut and dry.

gfen.......you are absolutely right about it being very grey but......it seems to me from what you've already said, you do pay attention to what you are buying and that is all we can really do and I want to thank you for that

just bought a bauer reel instead of a jap companion reel.

i guess more nowadays is that its an American "owned" company not just a distributor like "orvis"

I prefer american, but honestly if the product is good it doesnt matter. I have about half US stuff, half overseas stuff. The overseas stuff I have is of fantastic quality (cabelas, albright, redington, powell)

Paul W

osprey wrote:
gfen.......you are absolutely right about it being very grey but......it seems to me from what you've already said, you do pay attention to what you are buying and that is all we can really do and I want to thank you for that

It all depends, really. I'm not above saving money by buying offshore, also. I do my best to recognize quality, whether it be in individual craftmanship or even in quality control (ie, low cost Korean goods).

I'll tell you what, I did get pretty miffed when I bought a set of Dr. Slick scissors only to find out they're Pakistani steel. That bugs me, I think because I was raised in Bethlehem in the shadow of the mills, to see thnigs like cutlerly made out of anything other than American steel.

Silly? Probably. Don't care, though. That's a place I'd have paid extra for 100% American, though.

Back