Made in America or ...........

OMG I just noticed my new Pflueger Summit fly reel is made in China.

I think we all should try to buy our goods and let the high priced asian made stuff rot on the shelfs. There are lots of rods made in America by small rod makers that are affordable . Get off your duffs and throw a few,in fact this Saturday at The Evening Rise in Lancaster,Pa. you can do just that.

brookieaddict wrote:
high priced asian made stuff
HUH?

There are lots of rods made in America by small rod makers that are affordable .

Name one and qualify affordable. I'm not encouraging buying foreign stuff. I just think you are kidding yourself.

My dad worked for a Pennsylvania plant that had a Detroit headquarters. It was a bearing company in Lancaster and he was quality control manager. The plant produced very high quality bearings.

During the late 1970s there was a major exodus of businesses from the "rust belt" to the U.S. South.

As quality control manager, Dad made a trip to China on behalf of the company - I forget if it was still during the 1970s, or was just early 1980s - but he returned with the conclusion that bearings made there would never be able to compete and would never achieve similar quality.

He was very confident in the company because it produced top of the line product and, as he said, "We will always need the wheel."

However, his company's customers - auto and machinery manufacturers - didn't care about the quality the bearings, only the price. As it was, the quality bearings would last longer than the machines that needed wheels, and the end users - driven by competitive conspicuous consumption - didn't hang on to their purchases for more than a year or two. They certainly didn't have their local mechanic make any major repairs. That's still pretty much a hobbyists realm.
There was a new model every year to impress the neighbors and potential mating partners. (Remember Lee Iacoca and understand what he really achieved).

The bearing company built a new plant near Lititz and soon thereafter folded.

Similar stories were true across the industrial community.

The same is true for lots of high quality equipment and machinery formerly manufactuered in the states and in WWII allied nations - radio tubes, fishing rods, reels, screws, etc.

Vietnam was over and federal government contracts and the higher quality demands diminished.
Further, quality was also sacrificed to help overcome imbalanced labor and materials costs to continue feeding the endlessly hungry cow birds in the nest called investors.

The moral of the story:
An quality educated consumer supports a quality producing business.

We ain't got it so we ain't getting it.

On the other hand, compared to 50 years ago, even today's low to low middle income consumers live vastly better in every way except for access to quality environment and freedom of pedestrian movement and personal choice.

I paid 149 for my TLS and 189 for my HLS. The TLS was bought at Orvis's yearly fall blowout, they now retail for about 300. The HLS was at retail price at the time. Oh by the way a GL or Sage would have cost me four times that.If you shop around you can by American and save mulla. But again if your the look at my label and duds poser then this isnt for you. This sport is going the wrong way or maybe its the people who haunt forums like this one. It is truly sad for both.

Often, for the money, the foreign rods perform better. They are cheaper to make. A $200 foreign rod is usually of better quality than a $200 American rod, just because it is cheaper to make overseas. It's just something you've got to consider during the purchase process.

I do love my TLS, and do believe it's American made.

Ok Tomgamber here ya go. Fetha Styx $ 260 USA, Echo 2 $ 280 China, Diamondback Flawless $ 299 China, LL Bean Orion $300 China, Greys Platinum XD $ 300 Korea,Redington CPX $329 China, and on and on and on. If you take notice the Feta Styx is the lowest priced and its made by Americans in America. It thorws a line as well as most of us can and for some we hold it back. Buy American its the only country you have. If you have defended it nothing else needs to be said.

Ouch dude...260? Sorry, but I will never pay more than 200 for a rod. Not even if I hit the lottery. I just can't justify that kind of expense.

Its a fishing rod. I have an american car, my wife's employer has the word "america" in its name, and on and on...as long as there are elected officials and media loudmouths publicly hoping the President of the USA fails, I think you cna find a better place to lecture about patriotism.

Sorry but because it isn't made in the USA doesn't mean I won't support it. Too many over seas companies pay US workers. Maybe not directly but indirectly and 'm not going to commit. Foreign car manufacturers have US labor building cars. Heck anyone within PA that is drinking water that has a water bill from the the Pa Water Company or American Water is owned by a company from Germany. US employees still get to pay their bills. Drink up!

Being made in America is very important to me as a flag-waving, gun-toting American Liberal. However being just that, I compel myself to consider all factors. The foreign-made rods are very good. The Cabela's L-series is great. The LL Bean Orion 3 is fantanstic. The Redington CPS WAS one of the best rods out there. I will assume that it's replacement, the CPX very well may be much the same. (I own the CPS and it is simply a great fast-action rod in all aspects) Looking and trying rods out over the last couple years makes me fearful for American rods. In my opinion, after a fair piece of trial casting, the expensive American rods provide ever-diminishing returns in performance. It has seriously come down to a matter of taste. They are tweaked to different performance sub-sets with design and construction differences that can be hard to notice unless you are directly comparing rod to rod. I cast a Scott A2, a rod and company of which I am/was a fan and own 2 original Alphas, and wondered how they can compete against TFO's or Redingtons or imported St. Croix's and many others. And as far as having a stable company to sand behind their products, ask an owners of Powell rods..Oh, wait, THAT'S ME! I have an 8.5, 5 wt LGA that is to DIE for! But if I break it, it's done.

I'm disappointed with many USA manufacturers's offerings and their prices. Untill they can make a really good rod for $550 again, (Remember the XP and SLT? heck a lightened RPL would be great), they are not really in my good graces. Why the Fickity-Foo do they think they need to make $700 and $800 rods as the main-stay of their company? I suppose they think they are like Lamboghini or Ferrari. Sad to see the best Scott could do for $500 was make a graphite broomstick that lasted maybe 3 years before elimination last year.

American reels, however, are great. I'm a big Lamson fan. I'm very happy with American reel makers. Maybe rods are like waders. Easy to break or damage so all that expense and crap they have to deal with is priced into the rod along with marketing and research. Reels are far more resiliant an item, so easier to love.

Syl

Tomgamber,

I could not agree with you more on the fear mongering "loud mouths". I won't even watch FOX news any more. They've got this recovering alcoholic Glen Beck, who spews his fearing nonsense on radio and TV air waves all day long. It's a shame because Fox was always so entertaining before. I just can't abide that Donkey. Having said that, I would rather have two expensive peices of Boo then a truck load of graphite from any country.

I have all Cabelas rods. Made in China......sorry but you can't beat the price, especially in this economy. Their performance to me is just as good as American higher end rods. I would like to buy American made don't get me wrong just can't see spending $200 dollars more for the same.

The rods are made in China but I am buying them in an American store helping pay for Americans salaries.

TroutBuster wrote:
Liberals own guns...???

Libertarians sure as hell do, and I plan on getting one soon. Please, don't make the mistake of calling me a conservative, either. ;-)

My reputation for frugality precedes me, so take this for what it is worth: if I was such as to be willing to spend $550 for a fly rod, I couldn't imagine an extra $200 would be anything more than a minor inconvenience (that is, the slight bother of pulling two more paper notes from my wallet).

JackM wrote:
My reputation for frugality precedes me, so take this for what it is worth: if I was such as to be willing to spend $550 for a fly rod, I couldn't imagine an extra $200 would be anything more than a minor inconvenience (that is, the slight bother of pulling two more paper notes from my wallet).

My most expensive rod was my saltwater rod. Which was around $450. All of my fresh water rods are around $150. This is including line, reel and rod. So an extra $200 would be an inconvenience considering I was recently laid off from work and to boot I have fished with friends higher end rods and don't see the point in spending the extra cash. When in the end they both get the job done.

I think you missed my point, but you won't be the only one, I am sure. It wasn't an easy point to try to make.

Jack,

I don't understand completely. Are you saying someone who is willing to pay a lot doesn't really care about the price? And is more interested in having a high end rod regardless if a cheaper rod performs similar?

JustFish wrote:
Jack,

I don't understand completely. Are you saying someone who is willing to pay a lot doesn't really care about the price? And is more interested in having a high end rod regardless if a cheaper rod performs similar?

I forget what the phenomenon is called, but it's documented in some psychology texts, I'm sure. When buying a new car, you don't really haggle over $300, yet when buying a DVD, you'd haggle over $3. The higher price essentially devalues individual dollars in our minds.

I think Jack's example is a little extreme, but if I'm shelling out over $500 for a rod, I'm not going to balk at a better model that is over $600.

Back