Lower Susquehanna Samllmouth

"I think the the gauge at Harrisburg on the susky was at least a foot lower this time last year. It's probably going to be another couple of weeks before things get really going."

I live the near the North Branch, our local news weather guy mentioned that we are some 4-inches above normal precipitation for this time of year.

I agree with your estimate, if memory serves me correctly last year at this time I was fishing at below 1 foot on local gauge, it is going to settle at 2 feet tomorrow and then head back up some.

Has anyone been on the river this weekend? I stopped by the conewago and codurus and briefly hopped out on the river off of gut rd. The water was very dirty but wadable in this section but I didn't have any luck. Streams weren't much better but I managed a few.

The river is at springtime levels right now. Its been a bit high all year, like my uncle. Gut road gets slammed by bait guys, many who will fish for cats but take anything, including a smallie home if nobody is looking. I know, I grew up around here. York County itself is becoming very dirty. The very dirty water you waded in is the actual sins and filth of York County tainting the river as they are washed away with the rains. Could you smell it ? The fish are out past the first set of islands mostly. The islands serve as a buffer or break water, protecting the smallmouth bass from the inflowing filth near the taint of York County at York Haven. In late summer you can just about wade across to Lancaster if you are brave, or stupid, and good fishing can be had.

Good luck and tight lines,

Jake

Attachments

• 2017-07-21 01.07.59.jpg
    2017-07-21 01.07.59.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 3
And yes, that is a beagle that swims.

These big thunderstorms in the drainage are keeping levels up higher than I am comfortable wading into the current. But the fish don't care and they are willing plenty close enough to cast to. This big girl is my second 20" bass in as many trips. Second cast of the morning. Lost as many as I landed ranging in size from 3" to 20" and hitting double digits in 2 hours of fishing this morning in a casting area not more than an arc as far as I could bomb. All fish caught within 30' and most much closer.

My takeaway... glad the PaFBC is keeping the closed season in place. It works.

Attachments

• IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 7
laurelrun wrote:
These big thunderstorms in the drainage are keeping levels up higher than I am comfortable wading into the current. But the fish don't care and they are willing plenty close enough to cast to. This big girl is my second 20" bass in as many trips. Second cast of the morning. Lost as many as I landed ranging in size from 3" to 20" and hitting double digits in 2 hours of fishing this morning in a casting area not more than an arc as far as I could bomb. All fish caught within 30' and most much closer.

My takeaway... glad the PaFBC is keeping the closed season in place. It works.

Jim, maybe I will have to drive out and fish with you sometime.

GenCon

That'd be great, Mike. I am still learning on the fly and spend as much time with my spinning rod in the river. I just can't bomb casts the way I can cover water with a crank bait. But the bass are as often within a rod length as they are 30 yards out.

I think we should follow Dave W around the Juniata, too. Are you attending the warm water Jam?

These deluges are really keeping the river up and muddy. Tough wading!

laurelrun wrote:
That'd be great, Mike. I am still learning on the fly and spend as much time with my spinning rod in the river. I just can't bomb casts the way I can cover water with a crank bait. But the bass are as often within a rod length as they are 30 yards out.

I think we should follow Dave W around the Juniata, too. Are you attending the warm water Jam?

These deluges are really keeping the river up and muddy. Tough wading!

Jim, yes the storms have made it tough. Not going to make WW jam.
But would really like to try wading it at some point. Maybe some Sat in August.

GenCon

Tough day yesterday between the dirty water and wind. Hopped around, but fished mostly in york county. The highlight was witnessing the whiteflies for the first time, which was impressive to say the least. Naturally, we only saw one rise all night; and the only fish ate clousers.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 3
  • flies.jpg
    flies.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 3
  • bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 2
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 4
Saw the first real trace of white flies tonight up on the North Branch just south of Tunkhannock. The risers were there but few and far between and the hatch was small and short lived.

Hopefully this weekend it will kick in to full on action.
mnG7q77.jpg

The river around Harrisburg is grudgingly coming down - it's around 4.1' tonight. I took at look at it this afternoon briefly around Middletown and it is still muddy with visibility about a foot.

It stills needs some more time to drop and clear, especially if you intend to wade.

North Branch is in the best shape I've seen all summer. Nice top water ~ popper bite, a few more white flies tonight, nothing near a full on hatch but the fish were interested.

wp7XNj8.jpg

Got to try out my new BoogleBug Poppers, anyone ever use them ?

GNVhJIp.jpg

bsdtebz.jpg

Nice fish. I use the Boogle poppers in black and yellow here in northeast Ohio. Smallies love them. It's my go-to popper.

Boogle poppers are solid. You can find them pretty cheap on ebay if you look up "Boogle Seconds".

I kayak fished below holtwood today with no success. Water was high and muddy. No hatch and no fish rising or busting bait. My 6 year newphew did catch a nice smallmouth early on whopper plopped but it was the only fish we saw. Saturday would have been a better day to go as they were running less water but I elected to fish the conestoga near my house. Bad move as water was cold and off color and the Bass didn't cooperate.

North Branch near Tunkhannock is looking really good. Water clarity is almost too good right now - Sunday Aug. 13th.

White flies were out in more serious numbers tonight, plenty of action and risers, the best however I believe is yet to come.

I managed about a dozen decent smallies including one nearly 17-inches

7cQxIkf.jpg

henrydavid wrote:
North Branch near Tunkhannock is looking really good. Water clarity is almost too good right now - Sunday Aug. 13th.

White flies were out in more serious numbers tonight, plenty of action and risers, the best however I believe is yet to come.

I managed about a dozen decent smallies including one nearly 17-inches

7cQxIkf.jpg

I was wondering if you were out I fished the Harding area last night. The white flies got pretty heavy, but not a lot of fish rising for them. Managed to land 12 fish once the hatch started, all on the smaller side. That stretch isn't fishing quite as good as last year yet.

Hey Beernut, I haven't even been on the Susky much until a week or so ago. Conditions on our North Branch are finally were I like them.

I sent you a PM

Tonight I had 3 pigs in a row swallow my white wulff twice they came
"Undun" like Curt Winter and Rand Bachman. The third one broke my leader, no one cares. We walk the river at night, it is what it is.

Back