Looking for carbon fiber landing net info

C

ColdBore

I think it might be time to upgrade to a carbon fiber net.

I've used the typical wooden hooped nets (with the newer "rubberized" baskets for the fish's health) for years.

I still wear a vest, and suspend the net from a D-loop at the top between my shoulders, held up high by the detachable magnet system.

Last year, the net apparently snagged on something, popping the magnets apart, and I put my heel into the net, cracking the hoop. I say "apparently", because I never felt it happen, I just happened to notice the odd shape of the net and discovered the big crack later on.

I repaired it, but also figure this might be a good excuse for me to relegate that net to backup status, and buy a new one. And if I'm buying new, well.... I might as well buy carbon fiber, right? ;-)

So, without breaking the bank on the top end nets, any suggestions on which net to get, and where to find a fair deal on one? I do all PA and UT stream fishing for trout, carrying it on my back, so no huge nets or long handled models.

Thanks for any input!

I may be a bit biased when it comes to wood landing nets but, for me, carbon fiber has no character at all. I make custom wood landing nets and hear people question the strength of wood quite a bit. I decided to test the strength of my nets by dropping one out of an airplane. It didn't break. I don't know who or where your old net was made, but the nets I make are strong. Here's video to prove it:
https://www.facebook.com/northkilltackle/videos/2303994476527532/

I won a nomad native net and bought a long handled fishpond as well. They are by far some of my favorite pieces of gear. Sooooo much lighter than the wooden one I was using (probably similar to yours) and stronger too.

Thanks afish.

I saw that one. Just a tad longer than I'd prefer though.

If I went with a Fishpond, it would likely be their Hand or Native models.

Have you looked at either of these? No, they aren't beautiful handmade wooden nets but are pretty bulletproof

https://www.egofishing.com/products/wade/small-rubber-net/

https://risingfish.net/product/brookie-net-10-handle/

The rising nets are nice but they are considerably heavier than the carbon fiber nets. Brodin makes a nice carbon in fiber net...think it’s around $100. Not cheap but it’s a nice net. And it’s pretty light. Definitively light than the rising net...I had the rising net and got the brodin net to replace it. Check the troutbitten blog as well. He uses a carbon fiber net that has a deep basket that may be a decent amount cheaper. If there’s one criticism of the brodin net the basket could be deeper.

I have no experience with either of these Wetfly brand nets, but they are carbon fiber and they are on sale at Sierra Trading Post. I have made many purchases from STP and it is a reputable company for both purchases and returns. If you read the description, both of theses models are blue not black like the picture they have posted.

This model is $79 it looks to have a deeper net pocket and it’s a bit longer frame.
STP Wetfly Net 1

This model is $59. It seems to have a shallower net pocket.
STP Wetfly Net 2

If you want to see what they look like with the blue frame here is a link to net on the Wetfly company website. It seems that there is only one picture of it in blue. Personally I think it doesn’t look too bad, but it might look a bit strange/different in a picture if you are one to take photos of your fish in your landing net with that blue frame. I don’t know... Either way it’s something to consider. Also, the company claims to have a lifetime warranty on these nets if you read the description. But like I said, I have zero experience with this brand.
Wetfly Website

Good luck in netting good deal!

Bingo. Thanks!

I've bought plenty from Sierra Trading Post, and was actually at their Cheyenne retail location about ten years ago.

Thanks to all for all of your suggestions!

houncer wrote:
I may be a bit biased when it comes to wood landing nets but, for me, carbon fiber has no character at all. I make custom wood landing nets and hear people question the strength of wood quite a bit. I decided to test the strength of my nets by dropping one out of an airplane. It didn't break. I don't know who or where your old net was made, but the nets I make are strong. Here's video to prove it:
https://www.facebook.com/northkilltackle/videos/2303994476527532/

Next test -- can it survive the PHL baggage handlers?

sgrim wrote:

Next test -- can it survive the PHL baggage handlers?

Come on, be realistic; don't be asking for miracles! :-o

I have the cheap MaxCatch net and it has worked great. I did have to fix the thread that holds the netting on but for the price I paid compared to the others I'm extremely happy. That Wetfly version looks identical to a MaxCatch net that they add an extra $20 to for a wet fly stamp.

I found the all of the compsite nets are made of fiberglass with one wrap of carbon fiber. I bought a Fishpond net. I later saw a MaxCatch net on ebay and bought it for $70.00. It's the same net as the Fishpond minus the name. Hope that helps.

I bought a Fishpond Nomad Native several years ago. More than satisfied. It's pretty tough and also light weight compared to wood. I really like the rubber bag.

The heaviest part of any carbon fiber or wood net is the rubber bag.
The Fishpond Nomad Native weighs 340 grams (11.999 ounces). My Scout net weighs 368 grams (12.981 ounces). I can't imagine less than 1 ounce would tire anyone out over the course of a day, maybe the wood nets everyone seems to be complaining about are using different woods than I do.

As far as the baggage handlers & my nets.........that gave me a chuckle. I guess that's the next test I need to do!

Not carbon fiber, not wood, not classic, no "ghost" bag but micro-mesh; and definitely not what what the OP is looking for but...

Cool, small, light with a carry pouch and built in scale:

http://www.mcleanangling.co.nz/product/spring-foldable-weigh-net-s-m115/

Bamboozle wrote:
Not carbon fiber, not wood, not classic, no "ghost" bag but micro-mesh; and definitely not what what the OP is looking for but...

Cool, small, light with a carry pouch and built in scale:

http://www.mcleanangling.co.nz/product/spring-foldable-weigh-net-s-m115/

I'll never own a micromesh net ever again. Not very good for the slime coat on the fish. They are a pain to even get barbless hooks out of sometimes let alone one with a barb. They seem to get caught on every single jagger bush you come across and even the teeth of trout seem to get caught in that micromesh.

The only reason I bought a fishpond net was the fish would not fit in my Orvis net. I love my wood nets. But it's a pain getting the hooks out of the net itself.

Trapshooter wrote:

The only reason I bought a fishpond net was the fish would not fit in my Orvis net.

That's really a tough problem to have! :-D

bigjohn58 wrote:

I'll never own a micromesh net ever again. Not very good for the slime coat on the fish. They are a pain to even get barbless hooks out of sometimes let alone one with a barb.

... and even the teeth of trout seem to get caught in that micromesh.

Agreed. They were an improvement over the open "volleyball net" style of years ago, but now that the rubberized baskets are available, I won't deal with a micronet basket any more.

Back