Longer Pole are much more accurate

It’s no secret that manufacturers make and have been making fly lines heavier OR at the upper end of the AFTMA standard for a given size. All you need to do is ask them or look on their website for the details on weight.

It’s also no secret and nothing new that some rods are faster or slower than others, so the line weight written on the blank is somewhat arbitrary. If you use a heavier than normal 5 weight fly line on a rod rated for a 5wt, it will most likely feel slower and if you use a lighter line, faster.

Similar differences may be felt with more aggressive or moderate tapers within the same stated weight.

However, the person who designed that rod had a rod action in mind and dialed in that rod action with a particular line weight, or a specific line weight AND taper in mind whether you like it or not. If you deviate from those choices, (like for example, using a heavier or more aggressive taper) you STILL may not like the rod action.

This is why people buy rods from certain makers or spend time trying rods out. They know what they like and they already have an idea of what the rod builders are capable of, versus buying something they are unfamiliar with and taking stabs at line weights and tapers.

As far as 5 weight rods and 5 weight lines to go with them, there are a TON of them along with 2 weights, 3 weights, 4 weights, etc. I know because every rod I own casts the line weight specified and performs as expected because I know what I like, how the rod maker thinks and what to buy to please ME.

Do I own rods that some people would wish were faster or slower so they might use a lighter line or vise versa, absolutely!! However, that doesn’t mean they aren’t 5 weights, etc., if that’s the action the builder had in mind. It means that SOMEBODY doesn’t like that rod action with the suggested line size.

If it were me, I would buy a different rod with a different action for the same line size rather than turn a 5 weight into a 4 weight or a 6 weight. Why buy a 5 weight rod that needs a 6 weight or 4 weight line to make you happy if you were in the market for a 5 weight?

In regards to guide size, typically guide size is somewhat determined by the line size (heavier lines are fatter), so heavy line size rods often have larger guides. Some builders choose larger guides because they believe a larger guide offers less friction to a line passing through it.

However, other builders, most notably the late Tom Morgan of Winston & Tom Morgan Rodsmiths favored smaller than usual guides because he felt larger guides led to more line slapping against the rod blank that offered much more friction than the line passing through the guides.

As the owner of one Tom Morgan Rodsmiths rod and many Winstons, I agree with Tom.

As usual YMMV

Okay, well explained. Its a personal preference selected by research and field/show testing. But there does seem to be a correlation of accuracy vs guide size......regarless of distance smaller guides seem to ensure more accuracy, at least among the rods I have. It seems that the smaller the guide size the more accurately the line travels to the target whereas the larger the guide size the less accurate.
Gene's article was an interesting read and it confirmed more of my suspicions.
I have, apparently a different budget than many of you and will likely never buy a new high quality rod. Another member of this forum mentioned that he felt Fenwick consistently met the manufacturers with line weight recommendatons. Since I prefer a lighter action and since Fenwick is closer to my budget I will begin there.

Guide size has nothing to do with accuracy. It's just a coincidence the rods you can cast well have small guides.

Here's a question for you:

You are casting a small popper which floats fine and your rod handles it well.

When you pick up to make the next cast, (assuming it is the same distance); how times do you go back & forth after you lift your fly off the water before your next presentation?

If the answer is greater than zero or one...why?

Bamboozle is correct! Baron cast rods only look at the price later I have cast plenty of rods that I liked and were several hundred dollars less. Don’t buy a rod because of the price or name! If the rod you like is out of your price range think about wrapping it yourself same action but reduced cost. Yes it will cost you time. but IT IS WHAT IT IS. Shops run sales on Blanks all the time.

JoeE, You're scary. While he is right...you're calling me down that slippery slope:lol:. It would be fun to make one up but I'd be afraid to screw it up. After this Covid stuff I'm hoping that fishing shows start up again and I will be able to make the rounds. I'm at a point in life where cost is more of a concern than it was not long ago. Furthermore I have 10 grandkids of which half will need gear gifted to them as well. So I need to be quite prudent. I believe that in suggesting I make one up you have my interest at heart. Some time ago I was trying to decide what reel to buy and at the time it had never occurred to buy used. Since then I got into used medalists and am now well armed.

Bam, On a stream 0 back casts, On open river 0-2, In heavy lilies and milfoil 1-3. Its in the lilies that I noticed my issue. I was using a rod that had been my preference when I had 6wt line on it. Then I put 3 or 4 wt line on the reel and accuracy went out the door. Then I placed that same line onto a rod rated 6wt as well but it had all smaller guides and the accuracy improved. I wish I could identify the line size but it came on a 1492 that I bought. No Idea what it is. But you state that its not the guides that are responsible? How do you explain the difference? Is it the power at the tip?

Don't a lot of teachers preach the line goes where the tip goes?

But for me I am more accurate when I look at the target where I want to place the fly. I generally ignore everything else, banking on my muscle memory to put my arm in the right position. Sometimes we make it more difficult than it should be worrying about stuff.

To be accurate, practice accuracy. To make hero casts, practice hero casts. I don't try to cast long distances. My hero casts are my accurate casts. I just get more satisfaction out of placing a fly right on target. That's fun!

Baron wrote:
Bam, On a stream 0 back casts, On open river 0-2, In heavy lilies and milfoil 1-3. Its in the lilies that I noticed my issue. I was using a rod that had been my preference when I had 6wt line on it. Then I put 3 or 4 wt line on the reel and accuracy went out the door. Then I placed that same line onto a rod rated 6wt as well but it had all smaller guides and the accuracy improved. I wish I could identify the line size but it came on a 1492 that I bought. No Idea what it is. But you state that its not the guides that are responsible? How do you explain the difference? Is it the power at the tip?
If I am reading this correctly, you used a rod that worked for you with a 6 weight line, but the same rod with a 3 or 4 weight line didn't work?

If so, that should be obvious, it isn't a 3 or 4 weight rod, it's a 6 weight rod. You can't turn a 6 weight rod into a 4 weight rod by just changing the line size...

Then (if I am understanding this part correctly), you placed the 6 weight line on ANOTHER rod rated for a 6 weight line which happened to have smaller guides and it also performed fine.

So, the second rod you placed the 6 weight line on was also a 6 weight rod.

If my understanding of what you did is correct, the problem is with trying to use the wrong line size on a rod which can throw EVERYTHING off. Like I said above:

"...the person who designed that rod had a rod action in mind and dialed in that rod action with a particular line weight, or a specific line weight AND taper in mind whether you like it or not. If you deviate from those choices, (like for example, using a heavier or more aggressive taper) you STILL may not like the rod action."

In other words, underlining or overlining doesn't always achieve the desired result and guide size has NOTHING to do with accuracy.

If I misunderstood what you did, explain so I can understand.

FWIW - I asked you how much false casting you did because I see a lot of beginners false casting for the sake of false casting. The more you false cast when NOT necessary, the more likely you can create problems with timing which can translate into poor or inaccurate presentation.

By the way, your leader can have a HUGE effect on accuracy as well. Pay attention and see if it is the fly that is off the mark, or the line. If the line is pointing at the target, you may want to revisit your leader.

Allthings, That is what I had thought as well but it all fell away this fine day when I placed the lighter line on my trusty old rod. Wasn't any amount of muscle memory fixing that disaster. But when placed onto another rod rated for the same 6wt it all came back. both rods were 7.5'. The only differences is the guide sizes and slight stiffness increase. All these casts were my normal 30-40 foot shots into Lily Pad holes.
You're right, accuracy is everything.......especially in Pads.
Thanks for reminding me.

Back