Logan Branch Development

I graduated in 1989 and the last time I was back was probably 10 years ago. I originally had faith that with all those smart people living in an area practically on a world class trout stream that BMP's and smart planning would save this stream for future generations. I couldn't believe the urban sprawl that had enveloped the area. Going up for the Delaware game and I am sure I will be shocked again. I almost don't want to go because it will be so depressing. But at least the Lions will win!

Last edited:
the northern tier in potter/tioga to Allegheny NF probably our best chance to preserve large tracts of undeveloped wilderness in this state. We don’t have enough people telling their representatives they want land preserved. If you do care don’t just call or write, get people to call or write too. tell them these areas are invaluable to our outdoor economy and way of life. If you don’t get an issue like this on the ballot it has zero chance. It ain’t the low hanging feel good fruit of a committee making fishing licenses good for firefighters. You have to over come greed with fear of no reflection. Id love to see some outreach from conservation groups outside the angling community on this and educate them if they use these spaces and want to continue they have to advocate for it. Preaching to the choir here obviously but here is another place you could send your concerns about big box stores, condos, and “progress” wrecking our way of life.

There are some legislators in the northern tier who are very eager to pimp out that gorgeous unspoiled wilderness.

In thinking more about this, I have many questions. I'd like to find if anyone has answers. Or maybe this ends up in the ether of the internet.

- Has a watershed impact study been done not only for Logan branch, but also Spring and Bald Eagle?
- Two green orgs have been engaged and they approve, but can we see what they saw in terms of impact that led them to this conclusion?
- What type of jobs are these? How much do they pay and do they offer long term stability? It sounds to me like this is an Amazon warehouse so people can get their plastic junk even faster.
- What about the added traffic along rt 150? Have residents been made aware of this warehouse's impact?

Of course there will be development but does it require the degradation of a local (precious) resource? Maybe if we considered the Total Cost and thought long term, decisions would be made differently.

In thinking more about this, I have many questions. I'd like to find if anyone has answers. Or maybe this ends up in the ether of the internet.

- Has a watershed impact study been done not only for Logan branch, but also Spring and Bald Eagle?
- Two green orgs have been engaged and they approve, but can we see what they saw in terms of impact that led them to this conclusion?
- What type of jobs are these? How much do they pay and do they offer long term stability? It sounds to me like this is an Amazon warehouse so people can get their plastic junk even faster.
- What about the added traffic along rt 150? Have residents been made aware of this warehouse's impact?

Of course there will be development but does it require the degradation of a local (precious) resource? Maybe if we considered the Total Cost and thought long term, decisions would be made differently.
I think these are reasonable questions and I in every situation with these mega warehouses impacts on infrastructure, environment, local residents are minimized to not seriously considered. The question is always just can you make important people perceive they may pay a price at the ballot later for todays greed.

Spring creek TU I hope is aware and hopefully organized/advocating. But you need multiple organizations putting pressure on these people. Audobhans, biking clubs, hiking clubs, sierra club, local lions club, fly shop, guides, highschool classes, hotels/bed and breakfasts that house anglers. Someone in that community that has the knowledge of the community needs to organize those people get them on same page then go to legislators and notify them thousands of local constituents are not only opposed but are looking for elected representation tougher on urban sprawl/environmental/tourism threats.

The good points you made are always there its the matter thats the work intensive part but if your local you could be that guy.

I think these are reasonable questions and I in every situation with these mega warehouses impacts on infrastructure, environment, local residents are minimized to not seriously considered. The question is always just can you make important people perceive they may pay a price at the ballot later for todays greed.

Spring creek TU I hope is aware and hopefully organized/advocating. But you need multiple organizations putting pressure on these people. Audobhans, biking clubs, hiking clubs, sierra club, local lions club, fly shop, guides, highschool classes, hotels/bed and breakfasts that house anglers. Someone in that community that has the knowledge of the community needs to organize those people get them on same page then go to legislators and notify them thousands of local constituents are not only opposed but are looking for elected representation tougher on urban sprawl/environmental/tourism threats.

The good points you made are always there its the matter thats the work intensive part but if your local you could be that guy.
Many thanks for this. After doing a bit of research, it does seem like this is going to be an Amazon facility. Their tactic is to have the developer sign an NDA to not disclose Amazon's involvement to avoid public scrutiny. Also after some cursory research, I've found that these warehouse's create a myriad of negative effects that harm communities. On the flip side, communities have been taking a stand and fighting back. I would love to dedicate time to this. Anyone local to Bellefonte, let me know if you want to lend a hand.

I received this email (below) from the Chester County Commissioners Office two days ago after emailing them about my objection to a mega warehouse (believed to be fronted by Amazon) proposed to be built in my neighborhood.

"Thank you for your email regarding the Lionville Station Farm property. We understand that the Audubon Land Development Corporation plans that were submitted to Uwchlan Township for this property have now been withdrawn, and that there are no other land development applications pending before the township."

I attended a few supervisors meetings, sent e-mails and signed petitions but many, many residents have worked really hard to oppose this project by hiring lawyers, posting signs in the area, attending all meetings, etc. This battle has been won for now, but the war still rages on. We must all stay vigilant to do what's right for the remaining undeveloped land that surrounds us.

Many thanks for this. After doing a bit of research, it does seem like this is going to be an Amazon facility. Their tactic is to have the developer sign an NDA to not disclose Amazon's involvement to avoid public scrutiny. Also after some cursory research, I've found that these warehouse's create a myriad of negative effects that harm communities. On the flip side, communities have been taking a stand and fighting back. I would love to dedicate time to this. Anyone local to Bellefonte, let me know if you want to lend a hand.
So I think one of your most valuable tools will be a petition platform like change.org where you can do your research and post the specifics about the negative effects then pair that petition with a website you can make for cheap on a godaddy domain like “nowarehouse.com” ect with a link and g-mail account, then can make some signs to post on peoples lawn in high traffic areas who are willing to sound the alarm to the public, then after petition and signs call the media(penn live, npr state impact rachel mcdevitt PM me for her contact).

In the day and age of online petitions nothing means more than when people turn out so if you find out who the elected decision makers are who are letting this slip in the door organizing an in-person peaceful event where people gather infront of their offices with signs saying its “on the ballot” would be really powerful.

If you can accomplish any of this come over to the stocking reform movement your needed.

So I think one of your most valuable tools will be a petition platform like change.org where you can do your research and post the specifics about the negative effects then pair that petition with a website you can make for cheap on a godaddy domain like “nowarehouse.com” ect with a link and g-mail account, then can make some signs to post on peoples lawn in high traffic areas who are willing to sound the alarm to the public, then after petition and signs call the media(penn live, npr state impact rachel mcdevitt PM me for her contact).

In the day and age of online petitions nothing means more than when people turn out so if you find out who the elected decision makers are who are letting this slip in the door organizing an in-person peaceful event where people gather infront of their offices with signs saying its “on the ballot” would be really powerful.

If you can accomplish any of this come over to the stocking reform movement your needed.
Change.org spams though use a different one of you can. Can ask theodore rosavelt what they use THEY’D PROBABLY MAKE IT FOR YOU AND JOIN AS A SIGNER lol

Re "

In the day and age of online petitions nothing means more than when people turn out so if you find out who the elected decision makers are who are letting this slip in the door organizing an in-person peaceful event where people gather infront of their offices with signs saying its “on the ballot” would be really powerful."

Yup. You can pretend you care. But you can't pretend to be there. (physically)

Sad to read some of this. I fished LB a few times in the early '70s. Didn't catch a lot of trout, but I didn't catch a lot of trout anywhere in those days. I was fortunate to fish with the legendary Henry Malone of Milesburg on some of those trips, and he often chuckled and said that Spring Creek was a good stream but that LB had bigger trout if you could catch them. I hope that LB can somehow survive the horrifying sprawl that is occurring in and around State College, but I would be pessimistic about that.

I look at the Lititz area now. The best small town in America is covered by new developments, mega churches, and retirement homes. Water entering Lititz Run must be literally boiling after a summer thunderstorm. It really is sad. But still sadder, may be the fact that there was little opposition. So many people helped improve Lititz Run. It was a showcase that made people feel good. Good enough to allow the rest of the watershed to be paved over. Not saying I did anything to stop it.

I look at the Lititz area now. The best small town in America is covered by new developments, mega churches, and retirement homes. Water entering Lititz Run must be literally boiling after a summer thunderstorm. It really is sad. But still sadder, may be the fact that there was little opposition. So many people helped improve Lititz Run. It was a showcase that made people feel good. Good enough to allow the rest of the watershed to be paved over. Not saying I did anything to stop it.
Dear JeffP,

And the 600 pound gorilla has just entered the room. No, not me, the real 600 pound gorilla when it comes to development. ;)

Someone sells off a farm or chunk of land and moves on. Then someone else does it, and then another........ The question really is, how can a township, town, county etc. limit my ability to sell and skate when they did nothing previously? Everyone else got theirs, why can't I? And furthermore, who are you, not you specifically, to tell me what I can do with my land?

This is why PA has about 146 more people living in it than 1960, and 30% of its land has been lost to development of one sort or another. Forward thinking is not something that is politically sustainable in PA, if it even exists at all. You might get elected once and make a difference, but it will never matter the next election cycle when you get kicked to curb.

The loyal citizens really don't matter when big coin comes to town.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TM is correct. Just consider "convenience" stores. How many more do we "need"? I'd think none. Yet, Rutter's secured the permits to build one at the headwaters of the LJR, which will inevitably pollute these headwater spawning area. The local Audubon Society and the LJRA vigorously opposed the unnecessary place but lost. Rutter's is fighting to build another outside of Huntingdon adjacent to the vulnerable Old Crow Wetlands. Again, the Juniata Valley Audubon Society and others are fighting it, but it a real struggle.

Both Rutter's locations are fewer than 3 miles from already established Sheetz Convenience Stores and are unnecessary.

The quote following TM's post about the coal company says it all. So sad.

TM is correct. Just consider "convenience" stores. How many more do we "need"? I'd think none. Yet, Rutter's secured the permits to build one at the headwaters of the LJR, which will inevitably pollute these headwater spawning area. The local Audubon Society and the LJRA vigorously opposed the unnecessary place but lost. Rutter's is fighting to build another outside of Huntingdon adjacent to the vulnerable Old Crow Wetlands. Again, the Juniata Valley Audubon Society and others are fighting it, but it a real struggle.

Both Rutter's locations are fewer than 3 miles from already established Sheetz Convenience Stores and are unnecessary.

The quote following TM's post about the coal company says it all. So sad.
you know this, but others might not. the rutters site on the J is not just a convenience/gas store, its a large truck stop. It looks like it will be larger than the rutters in Bellefonte.

BTW, both Bellefonte and state college is getting a Wawa. Gees, this things must really make money if these companies find it economically feasible to "overload" in an area

Re "

In the day and age of online petitions nothing means more than when people turn out so if you find out who the elected decision makers are who are letting this slip in the door organizing an in-person peaceful event where people gather infront of their offices with signs saying its “on the ballot” would be really powerful."

Yup. You can pretend you care. But you can't pretend to be there. (physically)
To stop the mega warehouse plan people showed up at the township and school board meetings. So many people the meeting the parking lots were full and there were people standing outside the meeting place. The meeting was canceled and rescheduled to be held at a larger venue. This happened at every meeting, residents and concerned citzens showed up to voice their opposition. Finally, this week the developer withdrew it's submission of a plan to build the mega warehouse (see link below) >

You (along with many others) can make a difference if you care enough to show up......

There's power in numbers. (y)
There is also power in numbers of dollars and, unfortunately, that is what usually wins these battles. Most of society sees development and in the influx of business and infrastructure as only a positive thing.

It makes me borderline depressed when I see wild areas converted to gas stations and stores.

There is also power in numbers of dollars and, unfortunately, that is what usually wins these battles. Most of society sees development and in the influx of business and infrastructure as only a positive thing.

It makes me borderline depressed when I see wild areas converted to gas stations and stores.
Sadly, you're right about the dollars usually winning.

Back