Logan Branch Development

dwa111

dwa111

I heard this evening that there are plans to build a 1,000,000 sq ft warehouse facility along Logan Branch near the 99 bridge. Does anyone have any additional details? Have the appropriate assessments taken place? Appreciate any info folks may have.

Logan branch is part of what keeps lower spring/bald eagle so cold in large part. Those warehouses are many football fields in equivalent impermeable surface that can cut ground water off from percolating into the springs. State college is expanding this will only get worse. Wonder if smallies and fallfish come become a larger part of the mix in lower spring in coming years.

Wonder if smallies and fallfish come become a larger part of the mix in lower spring in coming years.
You can count on it (SMB) if lower Spring Ck ever gets warm because there is good “seed stock” in Bald Eagle Ck once you get upstream from the confluence of Spring Ck. I don’t recall getting FF during my survey of Bald Eagle from the reservoir to Port Matilda, but the stream did have nice RBSF and I used to fish for SMB in Bald Eagle. Lower Spring Ck is not just cooled by Logan Br; it also has the big spring in Bellefonte feeding it. I could be wrong, but I would not expect lower Spring Ck to get warm ahead of other segments upstream. I say segments because the stream temp is revitalized periodically by spring inflows.

As for development in the State College/Bellefonte region, I used to tell people in the late 1980’s or 1990’s that it was going to eventually be a miniature version of SE Pa. I don’t think they believed me.

Last edited:
Come to think of it i think people only have till this Monday to comment on Nicholas meat’s application to w/d 750,000 gallons a day from big fishing creek. They will prob get it to. Rutters on little J trib, housing developmentments sinking creek that flows into penns.

You can count on it (SMB) if lower Spring Ck ever gets warm because there is good “seed stock” in Bald Eagle Ck once you get upstream from the confluence of Spring Ck. I don’t recall getting FF during my survey of Bald Eagle from the reservoir to Port Matilda, but the stream did have nice RBSF and I used to fish for SMB in Bald Eagle. Lower Spring Ck is not just cooled by Logan Br; it also has the big spring in Bellefonte feeding it. I could be wrong, but I would not expect lower Spring Ck to get warm ahead of other segments upstream. I say segments because the stream temp is revitalized periodically by spring inflows.

As for development in the State College/Bellefonte region, I used to tell people in the late 1980’s or 1990’s that it was going to eventually be a miniature version of SE Pa. I don’t think they believed me.
I know of some people who fish for SMB in the upper bald eagle in the summer. SMB are below the confluence in the bald eagle already. I have caught them. I even caught one about 12-13 inches long. I've caught smaller ones in the lower section of the lower bald eagle before. This large one was caught last fall between Milesburg and curtain in a heavy riffle. It surprised the heck out of me where it was caught and how large it was. Where it was caught has a good population of redbreast- they hit my dries during hatches.

Along rt150 in Bellefonte above the canyon is a hot spot for development- the Benner commerce park listed above. The site isn't that close to the LB, but could impact it through ground water changes. Warehouse= trucks=fuel runoff etc. But we like our Amazon and on-line fly shops (I do too). The prison is a blessing, since it serves as a buffer between SC and Bellefonte.
A large portion of farmland in state college where slab cabin flows probably won't be farmland much longer.

Thanks Josh, that's it. The person that told me about the development also provided me with an email address, which I sent an email to this morning. Hopefully he can provide more information as to whether the project is moving forward and the appropriate assessments have been completed.

Come to think of it i think people only have till this Monday to comment on Nicholas meat’s application to w/d 750,000 gallons a day from big fishing creek. They will prob get it to. Rutters on little J trib, housing developmentments sinking creek that flows into penns.
Sinking Ck used to be a go-to stream for me when I wanted to get away from Logan Branch’s tough, adictive, big browns for an evening. I had surveyed Sinking Ck and was most impressed by the BT population and habitat in a particular few mile stretch. The stream is not the same throughout. Even in Sinking Ck some of the BT were larger than one might expect, but there was also heavy cover.

Does Sinking Creek have springs that influence it? I thought it was a warmwater stream due to the dam overflow. Also, what is the development along it that Fishsticks mentioned? Already built or in the approval process?

Does Sinking Creek have springs that influence it? I thought it was a warmwater stream due to the dam overflow. Also, what is the development along it that Fishsticks mentioned? Already built or in the approval process?
Already built

There is an Amazon warehouse on Sinking Creek? Where exactly is it?

I can only hope the impact is minimal. For those who are unfamiliar with Logan it’s actually already in a huge industrial area and the stream is largely channelized. It’s a really horrible creek to look at and not the type of place anyone would recommend as a destination. Despite this it is ice cold year round and is robust as any spring creek you can think of in PA. I think it would take a lot to move the needle on that stream.

I grew up along Logan Branch and, had I been a better caster, could have fished from my back porch. Logan Branch is but a shadow of it's former self. The sulfur hatch is about gone and water levels are down quite a bit from 40-50 years ago. Sadly, the branch is going the way of most all of the Spring Creek watershed, death by a thousand cuts. Lots of influential people in the State College / Bellefonte area talk a good act but truth be told, there are very few of the movers and shakers that actually give a damn about Spring Creek and its tributaries.

I grew up along Logan Branch and, had I been a better caster, could have fished from my back porch. Logan Branch is but a shadow of it's former self. The sulfur hatch is about gone and water levels are down quite a bit from 40-50 years ago. Sadly, the branch is going the way of most all of the Spring Creek watershed, death by a thousand cuts. Lots of influential people in the State College / Bellefonte area talk a good act but truth be told, there are very few of the movers and shakers that actually give a damn about Spring Creek and its tributaries.

Yeah I have no reference to 40-50 years ago but I would say it’s doing better than most spring creeks these days. I never had a problem find hatches or sulphurs but it’s not something I have ever sought out. Not a stream I would just wait for risers and cast to them. It’s a pocket water stream and a generic fly has always done well for me.

It must have really been something back it the day when they stocked the crap out of it. Did you catch many wild trout at that time?

Dear bugs4,

I first fished Logan Branch when I attended PSU from 1978 to '82.

It was never a destination stream with Spring Creek so much closer, but on the rare occasions back then when Spring Creek was high, and off-colored Logan Branch offered an alternative that could be easily fished with a muskrat nymph or GRHE from the bank without wading.

I agree with the overall tone of your post. The cows are long since out of the barn, and the barn has been converted to tract housing and strip malls in much of the region between State College and Pleasant Gap.

I dread going back anymore, I can only imagine how you must feel.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Back