LJRA To Discuss Upper Bells Gap Run Brown Trout Removal

I read this morning from the LJRA that the project to improve Bells Gap Run for brook trout will start with a pre-project study to be conducted by Juniata College students this fall. The study will include an electro-fishing sampling of the stream in several locations upstream from the reservoir. The purpose is to answer the question as to what the mix of brown versus brook trout is with factual consensus info.

It’s great to see that this project appears to be moving forward. Kudos to the LJRA.

With the reservoir dry, it seems like a perfect opportunity to try to remove the BT. I hope they do.

bdh77 -- Where did you find this? I have not been able to find it (probably my poor computer skills).

I agree with you: Kudos to the LJRA.

bdh77 -- Thank you. Since I am one of the last people in the world who does not do Facebook, I had my computer-savvy wife find it for me. It looks as though this could be a positive, hopeful situation for wild brook trout. Let's hope so anyhow.

What is a "conservation release"?

Conservation release in that context would mean that the release from the impoundment would better match the quantity and quality of what's flowing in, to reduce downstream impacts from habitat loss, thermal pollution, etc.

Back