Line weight...soft weight vs. shot?

M

mgh-pa

I'm using some of my cabela's points to pick up my leaders, tippet, and I figured some weight for nymphing as well. I see they carry a soft tungsten weight that hardens in water, but is removed by warming with your hand. Would you recommend this over regular shot? I can see it being a little less abrasive to the tippet, but I'm not sure how much I like the idea of "soft" weight residue sticking to the line afterward. Thoughts?

Get good old fashioned normal split shot. The soft stuff has a tendency to not stay in place. I carry around one of those wheels of shot with 5-6 different sizes from micro to medium-small.

I carry a wheel of shot too, althoguh I only use about 2 of the sizes.

I like the idea of the putty style weights and will probably try some in the near future.
What the heck, it's only a couple of bucks, and if you find something you like it's probably worth it. There have been dumber fly fishing purchases, that's for sure.

I carry a shot wheel. I think it has B, BB, 1, 4, 6. I use 1 and 4 most of the time in the spring. When flows go down, I use 4 and 6.

I love shot.

That's the problem. I have split shot, but for bass fishing, and it's mostly too large. Most of the shot kits seem to have too many larger sizes that I wouldn't use. There are fly-fishing specific weights, but they're PRICEY, and you have to buy them buy the size, not an assortment. What sizes do you guys recommend for nymphing 14-20 trout flies in relatively (20ft and under) shallow water?

mgh-pa wrote:
That's the problem. I have split shot, but for bass fishing, and it's mostly too large. Most of the shot kits seem to have too many larger sizes that I wouldn't use. There are fly-fishing specific weights, but they're PRICEY, and you have to buy them buy the size, not an assortment. What sizes do you guys recommend for nymphing 14-20 trout flies in relatively (20ft and under) shallow water?

You can get a wheel with all of the sizes I mentioned at any fly shop. Expect to pay around $12. It will last forever if you reuse them. I do not, because it's a pain in the rear. I do buy refills for specific sizes for a few bucks when needed.

I use both.

Overall I feel split shots are easier and I believe cheaper (like that matters :) ).

Putty is always the right size, snags less since I can streamline the shape and it’s easier to free from snags. You can also add a small amount to the bend of a hook or the eye of a hook if you prefer that over casting with weight added to the leader. You can get flies to sink hook up. And while I'm thinking about it you can use it to form fly bodies while tying.

Putty can leave a residue when it’s very hot out (you need to dip in back in the water to cool it then remove the rest) and is a bit of a pain in the winter since you need to breathe on it to soften it enough to apply/remove.

I carry both and use which ever seems most appropriate or easier.

jayL wrote:
mgh-pa wrote:

You can get a wheel with all of the sizes I mentioned at any fly shop. Expect to pay around $12. It will last forever if you reuse them. I do not, because it's a pain in the rear. I do buy refills for specific sizes for a few bucks when needed.

Sorry, I was making my post while you posted. Thanks for the size recommendations.

I paid just under $11 bucks for a Lemer Super Doux shot wheel (6 sizes shot about 100 per size).

#4 - 0.2g
#5 - 0.15g
#6 - 0.12g
#7 – 0.10g
#8 – 0.06g
#9 – 0.05g

I mostly use sizes 5-8 depending on the depth the fly needs to be at. I also carry a small container of heavier bass type shot that occasionally gets used.

If you’re going to get one size, get one of the smaller sizes (#8) and double/triple up when extra weight is needed.

Also, I’m not sure how often you fish 20 foot deep water but to me, that isn’t relatively shallow water that’s sinking line territory and not split shot territory.

GreenWeenie wrote:
I paid just under $11 bucks for a Lemer Super Doux shot wheel (6 sizes shot about 100 per size).

#4 - 0.2g
#5 - 0.15g
#6 - 0.12g
#7 – 0.10g
#8 – 0.06g
#9 – 0.05g

I mostly use sizes 5-8 depending on the depth the fly needs to be at. I also carry a small container of heavier bass type shot that occasionally gets used.

If you’re going to get one size, get one of the smaller sizes (#8) and double/triple up when extra weight is needed.

Also, I’m not sure how often you fish 20 foot deep water but to me, that isn’t relatively shallow water that’s sinking line territory and not split shot territory.

Sorry, you can tell I'm a spin fisherman (I'm so new to flyfishing). 20ft in spin fishing IS relatively shallow water, but I can see now that's probably not the case with fly fishing. I doubt I would fish too much in water that deep flyfishing anyways, unless it was a random hole I found.

I carry both split shot and putty, but use putty most of the time. As previously mentioned it can be shaped to a tapered cylinder that doesn't hang up as much and ahen putty does hang up a ltiile tug will pull the putty off and you will most often keep your fly/flies. It is also easy to adjust as you move to different locations by just adding or removing putty. It is reusable and easier to remove than split shot. Just my opions and preferences. I do lose 3 or 4 containers a year so if you have been gifted one of my losses you are welcome and I hope you find it as usefl as I do!

I got my shot wheel from Gander Mt. for less than $6. I think it has 1, 4, 6, 8; or something like that.

I don't reuse my shot either for 2 reasons:
1- it's cheap enough (most of my flies are tied with lead anyway)
2- The shot is normally mangled and not reusable.

I do find with shot I loose more flies because of hang-ups on rocks. Where I would be able to get a fly free, the shot gets lodged, then slides down to the fly and pops it off.

I used to be a spin fishermen too. I'm sorry, 20 ft is DEEP in anyone's book!

I tie and weight 80% of my nymphs, whether its lead wraps, bead head, bead chain, lead eyes, etc. I then add shot as necessary. I have a wheel of split and then buy the 2 smallest sizes of "bass" split shot too. I buy the ones you can remove to reuse them and because they're much heavier than the trout shot. I only use the big ones in really fast water, or for steelhead, which sometimes requires 2 or 3. Having different sizes is important. When I'm not catching fish I adjust 2 things first, my weight, and my indicator (if I'm using one).

It's more important in fly fishing for trout to be on the right water level than to have the correct nymph on most of the time. If that doesn't work, then I change flies. I also like the reusable ones because I like to move when I fish, and it's rare that you fish all the same depths all the time. Going from a deep pool to a fast riffle is 2 different set ups and I like to change to match the water. It's just like changing lures from a top water pattern by lilly pads to a deep crank bait depending on what part of the lake you're fishing. Just get out and fish and you'll learn by experience what to do. Good luck and go rip some lip!

pcray1231 wrote:
I used to be a spin fishermen too. I'm sorry, 20 ft is DEEP in anyone's book!

Ok, so maybe I used a higher number as an estimate as to what water I would be fishing. So I defined "shallow" water incorrectly. :-?

Thanks everyone.

I don't know if somebody already mentioned this, if so I apologize.

What I do is use both. Since the tungsten has a proclivity to move on the line if you're a very boisterous caster, I use of one of the smallest Le Doux (or whatever they are) shot and then place and remove PRN a bit of putty a little higher up. The shot (until it starts to slide too..) holds the putty in place.

The tungsten putty is great. You can add as little or as much as you need. It does not leave any residue behind. It also can be molded into a torpedo shape so it will not get hung up as much. I love that concept when steelhead fishing with eggs/nymphs that I need to get down in the rocks. You use less because it it heavier than lead, so it does not bulk up your line like split shot will. It does not work very well if it is very cold, but you can warm it up in your hand to make it more pliable. It is also reuseable, just take it off your line and put it back in the container. I think it is waaaay better then lead split shot.

Deep nymphing - size B or BB splitshots
Shallow water - tungsten tacky weight (micro shot is out)

I find TTW doesn't slide on my line at all, and as others have mentioned is infinitely ajustable with respect to weight, and is easy to add or remove unlike micro shot. Works well for me.

Note: I'm not talking a about Loon Soft Weight or other brands, they suck. Tungsten Tacky Weight is sort of hard and sticky.

Tungsten Tacky Weight

Afish gave me some of the tacky weight, and it's pretty awesome. It also sticks to my all purpose fly box hat for easy storage and access. Thanks afish.

Back