Let's talk about trout running out of lakes in the autumn

JimKennedy

JimKennedy

My dad grew up outside Hazleton, Pa., and so I heard a lot of stories about fishing the creeks of hard coal country back in the late 40s through mid 50s. In those days, trout season started in April and came to a pretty hard end around Memorial Day. There were a couple end around methods for extending the season. One was to fish the Lehigh River with streamers ostensibly for smallmouth, but really for trout.

Another location where there were enough bass to serve as cover for clandestine trout fishing was Locust Lake to the south and west of Hazleton. One autumn day he was fishing Locust Lake near where Locust Creek runs in. As was typical in that era, he was using a soft action fly rod and night crawlers. He went up the creek and came upon a pool where a massive rainbow (he estimated 9 pounds) had taken up residence.

He dropped the nightcrawler in a run into the pool, the trout grabbed it, he set the hook and the fish turned downstream and headed back to the lake. It snapped him off in a matter of seconds.

Anyhow, when I was in my teens, he and I would make a lot of trips to creeks that flow into big lakes near our home in Maryland. We never saw anything in the 9 pound range, but he managed to pick up maybe a dozen "Maryland steelhead" in the 15 to 19 inch range over a span of maybe 50 or more trips in the October through January range in a decade or so.

Myself, I didn't have the patience in those days to stick with it, and as we were fishing with flies and spinners rather than bait, spooked fish I should have at least hooked. Meanwhile, I caught plenty of other fish, to include getting into a big school of nice yellow perch one time, and a fair number of respectable small and largemouth bass, as well as the occasional resident or holdover stocked trout.

Anyhow, I'll start the discussion with that. I don't think I'm burning a spot by mentioning Locust Creek - Locust Lake because the tale dates back more than half a century. Also, while there may be a 9 pound rainbow in Locust Lake today that ventures up Locust Creek in the next few weeks or months, this kind of fishing is hit and miss. As I said, if you make 15 trips like this, and you are careful and good, you might get a hit and even land a big fish.

More recently, last autumn I got back into this practice, and hit some of the old spots where my dad and I fished as well as a few farther afield in Pennsylvania. Best I've done is hooking, but not landing, a brown of about 16 inches in the York-Hanover region, spooking a brown of about 3-4 pounds in South-central Pa. and landing a few decent holdover/possible run-up rainbows back in my old home waters of Maryland.

While I'm headed to Pulaski, NY, in a few weeks for steel and brown, that's not what I'm talking about here. Anyone can go to a destination location and catch big lake run trout from the Great Lakes or Finger Lakes. I'm talking about close to home chance catches, or purposeful trips that mostly come up with more story than fish.

Again, without spot burning, I'm asking y'all to share tales of lake run trout (or even NJ sea trout) hooked or landed in non-destination locations.

I thought i was the only one. Not only do Trout run from lakes upstream, trout also run to breasts of dams, trying to get back in the lake.

To pinpoint this a little bit more. Mid October, not just any day. High water, heavy rain, soiled water, brings the bruisers to move.

I always look forward to heavy rain in October.

Also, Walleye run the bigger streams. My area would be the Loyalsock, Big Pine and Lycoming.

Some come for one, i come prepared for all.

Fished Lake Jean today, Ricketts Glen State Park, spinner rig, worm harness, double hooks, size 3 Indiana Blade, 36 inch rig, barrel swivel at top with a small egg sinker above swivel. nightcrawlers.

1 bass, 3 perch, 8 cigar pickerel and 4 pickerel that needed the net.

Catfish were on. Never thought of it! One boat had 25. I assume they were bullheads. I love Bullheads, I will remember this next time.

Finger taped, razor blade, pliers to remove skin, sturdy knife to remove top dorsal and spine. All in on a Bullhead supper.

Maxima12

Well being a NJ native I'd say the ocean run trout are few and far between and not worth your time . But lake run trout are possible only need 3 ingredients 1) Tout 2) A deep cold reservoir 3) a stream that feeds in .
One of the issues with Ny new regs is alot of places were protected from guys beating up spawning fish . But in theyer wisdom the biologist's said Game On .

Jim Kennedy, you mentioned spot burn. Well son? Help out or stay quiet! I choose to help! My turn for quiet is just around the corner. If i could shout it out, one more time!

Help people, let them catch the boss. Smiles you see will make you IMMORTAL!

You know, we should be in Kansas eating a 26 ouncer and a big piece of Apple Pie.

Did that many, many times. Everywhere i went. From a block away to 2000 miles away!

Maxima12

As mentioned, this is an extremely hit or miss activity.

Likely something unless you’re really scouting a long piece of stream it’s probably something you pull over a check out a few of the big holes and see if they or it is there or not.

To me it’s pure luck if you’re stopping and you find one and you’re able to land one. Most likely it’s guys that live close to a stream running out of a lake that they can check on several times a week that’s not far out of the way, that’s my take.

It does happen with lakes. Always noted that most of the "large" wild brookies, as in over 12", that are caught, the prime places for those are wild brookie streams with some sort of impoundment. And larger lakes too. Obviously Erie. But Kinzua dam has some, and I'm sure a lot of other large, deep lakes.

Further, this frequently happens in colder streams that run into truly large, coldish (but get a little warm) waterways. The tribs of the Allegheny, Clarion, Pine, Delaware, Loyalsock, etc. Especially in the "border" area of those streams where it transitions from year round trout stream to "too warm in summer". There's a lot of river run fish in the colder tribs, and it can be year round (assumption is they run up in summer to escape temps, but may take up residence).

They are almost always monsters "for the stream" they are in, but that often means 15-20" class fish and not 9 lbers. In a stocked fishery like Locust Lake, anything can happen I suppose, whatever they throw in is what's there. But 9 lbs is a leviathon, and my guess is such stories may be based on fact (there was a BIG trout), but an initial overestimate of weight grows even more with time. Think of it this way. Your typical lake run fish in Erie is mid 20's, and 2-4 lbs, with a few larger ones thrown in here and there. And Erie is the largest, richest trout holding lake out there with lots of data points as far as fish size.

Pat is spot on as usual.

I remember hooking a "monster" brown i a tributary of the Clarion. It was a stocked stream, but this one obviously came up from the river since I was only a couple hundred yards upstream. I didn't land it, but it was probably close to 2 foot long. Surprised the heck out of me, because I had just caught a sucker about the same size and figured it was just another sucker ... until it broke the surface and threw the hook. BTW, my estimate has never changed.;-)

This was on a hot July day. I went there to swim and cool off in a large hole but as usual, I decided to wet a line first. Why not. It was a stocked trout stream.

I'm not saying what stream it was. Besides, I think it is posted now.

Wouldn't doubt that 9lber was the product of a non-state stocking that survived and ran the creek, especially since it was a 'bow.
Probably had a hard time turning around in it, though.

I've fished a few lakes and looked for unicorns in the tribs with very limited success.

Maybe you don't know how offensive that bullshit retrograde simple-minded ALL CAPS term is, so just in case you don't I'm not going to unload on you. Delete the post maxima12.

Well Renee.......

Thanks for the reminder Maxima, I need to gather some “bundles of twigs” and pick up some cigarettes for this weekend at camp.

Once again Maxima tries to maximize his rod length

I know of a couple Brook trout streams that have lake run fish part of the year.

There is a pretty famous lake in the NE known for big lake run browns that run up the creek too

They do run out of lakes. And much more commonly in PA, because of some of the awesome rivers we have, they run out of large rivers. Ive been chasing this phenomenon since ive been about 16 years old, and im 40 now, so about 24 years in.

Ive posted many times about it, but like the OP said, without spot burning. Way to many clowns out there posting videos/spot burning the places that dont need it. Thats another story for another day lol.

It is a labor of love. You may go cold for long periods of time and come up empty handed. Then you may hit the right place at the right time and have a good day or more. Ive logged untold miles walking little creeks chasing these big guys. Ive caught them from 15" up to over 30". And yea there is trout over 30" in some of our rivers, though some on here dont believe it. I have 2 RIVER run browns on my wall 30 1/2" and 30".

OP, your story sounds very believable and something that happens regularly. Sounds like an interesting place. Id keep exploring. The best advice i can give is dont be afraid to fish tribs that appear to be not "trout water", a few of my best trout have been from creeks that people driving down the road laugh at you as they see you walk in. LOL.

Brown71, you stated before that you are spin fishing not using fly gear mostly when you target these fish correct? I could see how that would be a possibly more effective method than a fly rod

Yes sir. I spin fish almost exclusively when chasing the big fall browns. I fly fish in spring/summer a good bit, but when i get serious about the big fish, I bring out what i call a "Finesse" spin setup. 9 ft rod, 4-6 lb line. Really easy to use/present in these tight places.

I primarily fish live bait, but i do not hesitate to put a fly on the spin rod either. Its all about giving yourself the best chance at the time oppurtunity presents itself.

I have no doubt that 30+ trout are out there. I once observed a co-op hatchery releasing there breeders into the Clarion. My little brother actually helped with that, and some were definitely in the 10 lb. range.

And I also know that years ago, elctro-shocking has turned up some monsters (browns and rainbows). When the water gets warm, they have to go someplace. They just are not common. I'll settle for 20+ as a trophy. ;-)

Yes, good, thank you, see the Maxima12 and throw stones at him!

Not many have seen the VIPER! Not many will, a subspecies of Earth and Grind only appears once in your life.

Yes Maxima12 lives. In your thoughts. You say hate that guy, but many have met me. Oh yes. many. 1000's.

Secret of the Maxima12, i come around, while you are gone. Leader under your windshield wipers. No name, that's me.

Yep, been secret for 35 years and i think, i will hang in the bush for the end. Do i need you? Yes Do you need me! Yes!

Do we need to see each other face to face and make a decision, You might not like how i look and i may not like your smile!

Not many know Maxima12, a few do! But they do not know me as Maxima12.

I have stayed 35 years, out of reach but very in touch.

I think back, to a surgeon, i knew! Dr. Cippolla, I needed help, he said, "you know i am quite qualified and prices are high:." " I will have to charge you $20,00 dollars.

I asked him to play the Violin. he said no!

This is what, i mean. Lifelong friendship.

It takes years for a friendship, seconds for it to go away.

The stories of the Maxima12, go on and on. It is simple, pick apples off one man's tree, give to another, have wife bake a pie and go back to the apples you took. Give them the pie!

You know, that work. Got my eye o a apple tree, as we speak. I have rights from owner to this tree.

I have rights from owner to hunt and fish this land. Give Maxima12 rights, good, I may come and maybe not, Most likely no! The Secret of Maxima12, has to remain SECRET!

353410ca-deee-4e65-b864-f18f19634456-gif.3641545

Of course there are browns over 30" in Pennsylvania. I can think of 3 lakes near me that would possibly produce them. I can think of a few streams without connection to a lake that might produce them, too. If that's what you're all about doing while fishing, then more power to you. Brown71 pops up this time every year with regards to posts about big brown trout. Seems to float his boat, the pursuit of bug fish, that is, so I'm happy for him. Autumn time for me is not about chasing big browns that are coming out to be vulnerable to spawn. I'm not criticizing anyone that does that, but to me it is time to shoot birds and shift focuses to other outdoor activities.

Back