Letort and the uMngeni

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Fascinating article about the Letort trout from South Africa (of all places!!!)

Interesting read. I think there's quite a few places that have fish populations (same genetics or not) that behave similarly.

Thank god lower Letort is now posted property or you would have social media heros chasing these fish as they move in and out. While its a great read its not good for the fish that already struggle to survive the guys throwing Rapalas in the Conodoquinet.

Wow, really thought provoking conjectures and observations on common intercontinental salmo trutta behaviors. More credence added to the copious posts on this site regarding big trout behavior and movement. I would have never guessed South Africa had good trout fishing!

Thank god lower Letort is now posted property or you would have social media heros chasing these fish as they move in and out. While its a great read its not good for the fish that already struggle to survive the guys throwing Rapalas in the Conodoquinet.
Lower Letort being posted isnt a good thing, some people like Ed Reed Spent their free time to make places like Letort fishable for everyone forever, this took years to accomplish. I think with a little more faith in the fish, many would realize no amount of rapalas will make wild fish struggle (state college wouldnt exsist). I have fished letort hundreds of times and have met less than 5 people there ever, many would argue its the least pressured limestoner in the state. Posting that section was wrong and undermines peoples work. Its not even posted by the land owners. The fish that move down into the condy are the smartest fish, they arent hitting rapalas. The only spin fisherman I have ever seen have luck fishing the bottom of letort falls was fishing live bait. There are monster bass in the condy and throwing a rapala is the only way some people know how to fish.

Erm. Yes and no.
I agree with much of what you said but those "smart fish" will eat Rapalas. I know, I've seen it first hand. Every year, more than a few very large browns get harvested out of the Connie with crankbaits.

Erm. Yes and no.
I agree with much of what you said but those "smart fish" will eat Rapalas. I know, I've seen it first hand. Every year, more than a few very large browns get harvested out of the Connie with crankbaits.
Yes they will hit Rapalas. What did you think of the blog?

Every species of fish except for vegetarian species will eat a rapala at certain times. Some people will do better catching fish with them than other people just like with all other means of angling.

The fish will be fine and can put up with more than people think. If it's legal for someone to fish for wild browns with Rapalas in a particular water they should be able to do so free of scorn and derision. A person's overall respect for a resource will have more influence over conservation than their tackle choice.

If it's legal for someone to fish for wild browns with Rapalas in a particular water they should be able to do so free of scorn and derision.
Agreed, they're not doing anything wrong. However, whether it should be legal is a different consideration.

Interesting read. I think there's quite a few places that have fish populations (same genetics or not) that behave similarly.
Agreed, they're not doing anything wrong. However, whether it should be legal is a different consideration.
Kray:
Did you open the link in the first line?

rdietz: I agree they aren't doing anything wrong. It's a good thing that they are not legally able to harvest those fish in Pa.

The lower Letort and the Cono are now catch and release September to the state opener. Some of the guys throwing Rapalas signed the petition to protect these fish.

You question whether it should be legal to target a fish with a lure? Why? Because it has 2 treble hooks? A fish that continues to expand its range and thrive in our state, even with waters that allow all forms of tackle and have no restrictions.

I fly fish and only fly fish unless I'm catfishing. But we knock live bait, we knock lures, jeesh, people gotta be able to live a little.

I fished that spot on the Cono one time in late summer. Saw one good sized brown hanging out in the cold water along with tons of fall fish. The trout had no interest in my woolly bugger. Interesting spot. Had to get downstream to warmer water to find some smallmouth. Got some fresh Titleists out of the creek adjacent to Carlisle CC. Better spots for bass on the Cono than that stretch I think.

Erm. Yes and no.
I've talked to and seen guys do well on Penns on Rapalas in the fall.

You question whether it should be legal to target a fish with a lure? Why? Because it has 2 treble hooks? A fish that continues to expand its range and thrive in our state, even with waters that allow all forms of tackle and have no restrictions.

I fly fish and only fly fish unless I'm catfishing. But we knock live bait, we knock lures, jeesh, people gotta be able to live a little.
I wasn't the one questioning it. The posts you responded to asked was whether it should be legal, and you commented that what was being done was legal, and that no one should be criticized for doing so. Correct, and I agreed, but it didn't answer those posts.

Yes they will hit Rapalas. What did you think of the blog?
I enjoyed reading it, but I see nothing ground breaking. Potamodromous brown trout are well documented with many studies on them world wide. The happenings between the Letort and the Connie are not even overly unique statewide, much less nationally and very much less abroad.

Trout move, they migrate around, they follow food, they follow temperature, they follow spawning needs, they swim.

If stocked tagged Hogestown Run Rainbows are caught in the Gulf of Mexico, and that has happened, then of course wild brown trout also move around.

Most, if not ALL species of trout migrate. Many can go to sea also.

If you see something nefarious you have the best evidence taker ever devised by man in your pocket. We all do. Now there is a law in play. That is what I am saying. There wasn't a law protecting these areas prior to this year during this time period.

I enjoyed reading it, but I see nothing ground breaking. Potamodromous brown trout are well documented with many studies on them world wide. The happenings between the Letort and the Connie are not even overly unique statewide, much less nationally and very much less abroad.

Trout move, they migrate around, they follow food, they follow temperature, they follow spawning needs, they swim.

If stocked tagged Hogestown Run Rainbows are caught in the Gulf of Mexico, and that has happened, then of course wild brown trout also move around.

Most, if not ALL species of trout migrate. Many can go to sea also.
I wonder why the PFBC didn't use just any brown trout from their hatcheries when they wanted to establish the near shore fishery in Erie? Brown trout move, they swim, that's what they do.
As you say they aren't unique. You could say, put another way, they aren't special. Why should anyone care about the trout of the Letort.

I wonder why the PFBC didn't use just any brown trout from their hatcheries when they wanted to establish the near shore fishery in Erie? Brown trout move, they swim, that's what they do.
As you say they aren't unique. You could say, put another way, they aren't special. Why should anyone care about the trout of the Letort.
Your putting words in my mouth, and twisting them to something I didn't say.

You asked what I thought of the blog or article.
There is no new information here.

Many watersheds have moving browns.
Are you saying the Letort fish are more special than Sherman's, Yellow Breeches, how about the ones in Lower Lancaster County ? Maybe they are more unique than the ones in Pine Creek? How about in the Swatara? How about the movers in ______? You can fill in the blank.

It is happening all over the state, country and overseas.

It isn't new information, nor are these particular fish unique in the behavior.

Last edited:
Back